Descent: Underground and the future of our game

Important announcements about the game's status or playtesting will appear here.

Moderator: SolC Development Leads

MadMax1998
Site Admin

Descent: Underground and the future of our game

Post by MadMax1998 » 11 Mar 2015, 01:48

Fellow Descent and 6DoF fans,

with Interplay's announcement of the next officially sanctioned Descent game, which was kickstarted today, some of you have asked what happens to Sol Contingency and our upcoming Proving Grounds multiplayer demo. At least one fan has shown concern that our game might be cancelled. This is *not* the case as we are moving forward as planned -- we have a game practically ready to go and missing two ingredients for success: the new ship and proper input method support (among a few other, minor things and bugfixing). We wouldn't be in our right mind if we stopped now!

From what we have seen, Interplay taking on Wingman's team to make their next Descent game may have been the reason they sent us a cease and desist letter, forcing us to drop the Descent assets and references we had when we started. That notwithstanding, our game is now an independent brand, simply "Sol Contingency", and apart from still being a go-to game for people who love the feel and core gameplay of Descent (because we are not gonna give that up), it can be another exciting item in the lineup of reemerging space sim and action games, right next to Descent: Underground and others.

So stay tuned and keep supporting us if you wish. We'll make it worth your while and worth the wait.

Attached is the first shot of our game's heads-up display as built for Proving Grounds. No cockpit in the demo, but the HUD will hopefully please your eyes nonetheless!
Attachments
HUD_Vertigo.jpg
Max
Sol Contingency Programming Lead
Sol Contingency Website

Pumo

Re: Descent: Underground and the future of our game

Post by Pumo » 11 Mar 2015, 02:02

I'm more or less confident that SolC will play and feel better than Descent : Underground, so don't worry, you have a loyal fanbase.

Do you have an aproximate date for the release of Proving Grounds demo? I can't wait to play it! ;)

MadMax1998
Site Admin

Post by MadMax1998 » 11 Mar 2015, 02:04

Wingman has actually responded to set the record straight on our Facebook page.
Max
Sol Contingency Programming Lead
Sol Contingency Website

Pumo

Post by Pumo » 11 Mar 2015, 06:08

At the DBB readyman made a post regarding a few questions he made to the Descent : Undergound developer and he got a reply that covers many of his questions.
What brings my attention of his post is this:
ReadyMan @ DBB wrote:...Here's his reply to my many questions regarding the Descent IP, Sol Contingency C&D, MMO/pay to play, etc:

Descendent Studios says:

5. Sol Contigency happened BEFORE we even started on this in December - I have reached out to them to see if they would like to join in on this - that will be up to the.
Here's the link to his full post: http://descentbb.net/viewtopic.php?p=348493#p348493

Is this true? Have the developers of D.Underground talked to any of you guys here? :?
Last edited by Pumo on 11 Mar 2015, 06:17, edited 1 time in total.

homeyduh
SolC Team

Post by homeyduh » 11 Mar 2015, 06:13

I haven't been reached out to o.o has anyone else? I'm fairly dedicated to this project already though. Can't imagine working for someone else considering the massive amount of help Max, Hawk and the others have given me to even get this far.
Sol Contingency mapper, Descent 1 and 2 fan, Community Relations, and all-around nice guy.

Twitter: @homeyduh

1DVD4D2UDK

Post by 1DVD4D2UDK » 11 Mar 2015, 08:31

Pumo wrote:Is this true? Have the developers of D.Underground talked to any of you guys here? :?
Wingman has made a few attempts at gathering followers, though he seems to be doing
just fine with the team he's selected so far - so I guess it's a wait & see how it pans out,
and if the playing field is level and true to what the new Interplay is really capable of! :?:
I see a bit of a conflict already, but some loyal Interplay fans may tag along for the ride.
I am interested to see what kind of competition will develop in the coming years though!
:geek:
I myself have been here since the beginning, and plan to stay with what I'm comfortable!
8-)
After closing your browser, it'll be with you - in back of your mind
waiting to inspire you, by what you've seen, heard, or read today
1DVD, 1DVD4D2UDK, 1DVD-DCLXVI, 1DeViLiShDuDe, @uToPLaY
http://descent-to-udk.deviantart.com http://1devilishdude.deviantart.com

Poxy
Beta Tester

Post by Poxy » 11 Mar 2015, 09:43

You guys are acting so calm and cool about this.

But can't you see?

This is war. This is complete and utter war. The C&D was the declaration of war, and the Kickstarter was the first attack.

You guys had better bring forth a powerful, moving and epic game. Interplay will show no mercy.

By gamers, for gamers.

Earthshaker
Beta Tester

Post by Earthshaker » 11 Mar 2015, 09:50

I don't wish any misfortune to Descent Underground and indeed I'll be following it closely to see how it develops, but I'll let others fund it if they wish to. It's hard to put my finger on why, exactly, but the approach that Descendent Studios are taking just doesn't click with me. I think the "MOBA" styling irks me, even if technically that's what Descent multiplayer actually is... I just dislike the term. Please, just use "Multiplayer 6DoF" instead. :P

I'll be rooting for SolC all the way, and with luck, there'll be a resurgence of the 6DoF genre so that everyone can be happy. :)

SgtThorne
Beta Tester

Post by SgtThorne » 11 Mar 2015, 10:22

Well gents, I hope you guys can pull off a better ship than that. ;)

I know you guys take the high road, but personally I'm a little (a lot) annoyed by a few things I'm seeing here. They're beating you to kick-starter, beating you to UE4, and I'd bet my bottom dollar they played the game you sent to interplay before they got started. I'm not joining this kick-starter. The truth is, while I expect Underground to be a hit based on what I'm seeing, I'm still betting on Sol Contingency to give the fans what they've been yearning for for so long.

Nothing against these developers, but in my eyes they are soulless by association. I know you boys are too cool to go there, but I think it's the truth, and I see it as being unfortunate for them--like a black hole they have to try to pull away from. You reap what you sow. They will reap profits based on a fairly impressive gaming effort, but Interplay sowed against the fans.
Running: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
Intel Core i7 4770K @ 4.20GHz Haswell - 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3
EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SSC 4GB - NVIDIA Drivers v10.18.13.5850
Asus Z87-PRO Motherboard - Onboard High Definition Audio

Poxy
Beta Tester

Post by Poxy » 11 Mar 2015, 10:36

Yeah, I'm truly agreeing with SgtThorne here.

Interplay could've just called Sol Contingency a fan-game, just a tribute to something we loved and let us be. But instead they screwed you over. Luckily their attack flopped, but even so.
I really feel that the business model they're using, which is both p2w AND kickstarter AND you actually have to buy it to play it, is pretty crooked. Lots of money involved to make this "AAA" game.

I mean, the way they're doing this just as Sol Contingency is about to be kickstarted, demo released, etc, it's kinda crooked. Plus they had that pretty obvious advertisement on here. That was kinda rude, even if they changed it.
I wouldn't recommend sabotage or anything, of course, but even so, let this be a reason to make sure your game is the best damn Descent that there will ever be.