Descent: Underground and the future of our game

Important announcements about the game's status or playtesting will appear here.

Moderator: SolC Development Leads

jr2

Re: Descent: Underground and the future of our game

Postby jr2 » 30 Mar 2015, 11:58

Yeah, Interplay... xP This chip (C&D) just nicely matches the one on my other shoulder: them bungling the FreeSpace 2 promotion. (They released it early, before doing promotion / advertising, I guess to get it out before a quarter was up or something, then pulled the plug on doing adverts due to 'poor sales' -- eh, say what?! Derp!)
FreeSpace fan? FreeSpace Source Code Project on Hard Light Productions (check out the Installer after buying FS2 (via retail disk, Steam, or GOG.com (recommended)
Descent fan? Of course you are, you're here; be sure you also know of these projects: D2X-XL | DXX-Rebirth
1/2Hawk
SolC Development Lead

Postby 1/2Hawk » 30 Mar 2015, 21:39

Noticed that D:U got green lit on Steam today... So congratulations go out to those guys, that's a key step in getting ready to push a game out. Also nearly in the Top 50 greenlit projects already.

Here's linkage: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=412870542&searchtext=descent%3A+underground
UDK & UE4 - Visual FX (Particle Systems, Custom Materials, Lighting), Modeling, Animation/Rigging, Mapping, Coding
1DVD4D2UDK

Postby 1DVD4D2UDK » 30 Mar 2015, 23:37

They're obviously making ground with their gaming connections and moving forward at a pretty good pace, can't really say much for all the complaints from gamers that haven't really read through the KS - and what's actually going to be released in the retail version, since they're billing the microtransactions as a convenience perk.
After closing your browser, it'll be with you - in back of your mind
waiting to inspire you, by what you've seen, heard, or read today
1DVD, 1DVD4D2UDK, 1DVD-DCLXVI, 1DeViLiShDuDe, @uToPLaY
http://descent-to-udk.deviantart.com http://1devilishdude.deviantart.com
Clusterone

Postby Clusterone » 10 Apr 2015, 01:34

Just want to say a couple things on this subject, first, I have been lurking on Sol Contingency since day one, haven't posted much as i've been practicing UDK/UE4 and working on my own projects.
The first thing I want to say is for Sol Contingency, you're game hands down looks better, looks like it plays better, and looks like it will be a better, heartfelt game overall. You (The developers) have poured your heart and soul into this game, and for free none the less, for the simple fact of recreating the nostalgia (And other reasons i'm sure) of playing Descent, but bringing it to the modern age. You have made this game based on what games SHOULD be made for, and used to be made for. You made it from the heart and soul without a AAA publisher breathing down your neck telling you "this will sell, this won't, do it this way, marketing, marketing, marketing, blah, blah, blah". You have made what I consider the true Descent of the two, and for that reason alone, I stand by you guys 100% and am dying to play this amazing game! The excitement alone I have for this includes hours obsessing over (To my gf's dismay) how awesome it will be to jump in and do the single-player, or jump into multiplayer and get my ass handed to me. And the goosebumps and urge to scream I get when I see a new picture/video you release makes me more excited for this than any game out there at the moment. So yeah :P. On another more personal note, thank you for taking your free time to make this game! And I fully and 100% think you should bring this to kickstarter to get your dues for this, because if I have the money, I will donate as much as my pockets will let me!

As for Descent:Underground, it looks interesting, i'm extremely excited to play it, but I think it may be because it has the name "Descent". As of right now that is all i'm excited for is a new Descent.

So you be the judge of who I support more. ;)

Either way! Looking forward to the demo! I'm hoping to all hell and back my laptop is working by that time so I can join in!

-Orion
homeyduh
SolC Team

Postby homeyduh » 10 Apr 2015, 03:22

It doesn't matter who you support more Orion. We support DU too even though we had a rough start due to the PTMC crap Interplay pulled. in fact, I even pledged to support DU so don't think this is a COD vs BF type battle between us. We're all, first and foremost, Descent fans and at the end of the day, can fire up rebirth or XL and get some good solid matches, especially after all this buzz about 6DoF. Just keep your eyes peeled. We have some stuff to announce, but it won't be after the DU KS ends so no one thinks we're trying to steal their thunder Last minute. Thanks for the support though! It means a lot! The hype you feel is going to be 100% worth it. I promise.
Sol Contingency mapper, Descent 1 and 2 fan, Community Relations, and all-around nice guy.

Twitter: @homeyduh
Clusterone

Postby Clusterone » 10 Apr 2015, 10:07

That's good to hear than! And after I posted that I was reading through the posts on this topic and saw that they had contacted you guys about working together or something, and I think that's really awesome. :)

But your welcome, i'm happy to support this project and i'm looking forward to the release! (And demo of course lol)
Poxy
Beta Tester

Postby Poxy » 10 Apr 2015, 10:53

If D:U was one of those free to play games, and it might be at some point even, sure. I'd play. But I only have enough money to spend on one of them. So it's just a competition to be the better game, imo. A fun battle, so picking a side just adds excitement to what would otherwise be a boring corporate affair.
1DVD4D2UDK

Postby 1DVD4D2UDK » 12 Apr 2015, 09:45

Poxy wrote:So it's just a competition to be the better game, imo. A fun battle, so picking a side just adds excitement to what would otherwise be a boring corporate affair.
By the time we get our hands on the next generation of story lines for the PTMC's 'Dravis legacy' or his successor, not withstanding any bogus leaked spilers - I think it will outshine the original in adding more depth than anyone could imagine, so it should easily be worth the wait in the prospect of being much more engrossing & immersive than your average futuristic corporate affair! :D
After closing your browser, it'll be with you - in back of your mind
waiting to inspire you, by what you've seen, heard, or read today
1DVD, 1DVD4D2UDK, 1DVD-DCLXVI, 1DeViLiShDuDe, @uToPLaY
http://descent-to-udk.deviantart.com http://1devilishdude.deviantart.com
DaveR

Postby DaveR » 19 Apr 2015, 03:29

homeyduh wrote:It doesn't matter who you support more Orion. We support DU too even though we had a rough start due to the PTMC crap Interplay pulled. in fact, I even pledged to support DU so don't think this is a COD vs BF type battle between us. We're all, first and foremost, Descent fans and at the end of the day, can fire up rebirth or XL and get some good solid matches, especially after all this buzz about 6DoF. Just keep your eyes peeled. We have some stuff to announce, but it won't be after the DU KS ends so no one thinks we're trying to steal their thunder Last minute. Thanks for the support though! It means a lot! The hype you feel is going to be 100% worth it. I promise.

I visited Descent Underground and it has elements of Even Online, as well as other games people here have mentioned such as Miner Wars.

If Sol Contingency stays true to the "theme" of Descent, Descent II, and even Descent 3, even without PTMC, Dravis, Material Defender, Pyros' but the game play and storyline is "like" Descent", even if it isn't Descent, I for one will be very happy. The 6DoF in Descent was in the mine, fighting robots, getting miners out, finding keys, and destroying reactors or Boss Robots. No other game really captured that, and it was that which made Descent the game we wanted to play. Especially when in a big room flying around dodging robots, Boss Robots, collecting power ups, staying alive with miners, and getting out.

If Sol Contingency has a strong storyline and strong single player game, it'll be a hit. If Descent Underground tries to maximize $$ while skimping on game play, the word will get out. Gamers with social media can make or break a game quickly.

While I was assured that Descent Underground wasn't a MMO, it certainly has all the elements for one. Ship hangers, ship paints and decals, mining asteroids. I will say this, as an investor, I wasn't given a storyline outline or any actual screenshots of their game when asked for money, just assurances that it was Descent and it wasn't a MMO. I'm not so sure.

I hope that Sol Contingency will have demos where players can fly around in a ship, shoot some bots, with some storyline cut scenes to watch. That will gather more people's interest, [mine ha ha], in what this game is.

I remember the original port to UDK, when you guys were first working on this game. It's where you had the fly around dynamics and shooting at some Descent 1 bots. That got me excited. Very Excited about Sol Contingency.

So any chance we players can take a 5 minute spin?
Duper

Postby Duper » 19 Apr 2015, 04:08

DaveR wrote:So any chance we players can take a 5 minute spin?

That's what "Proving Grounds" (SC) is about. ;)
"The cat was Aready dead when I got there." - Curiosity

Return to “Announcements”