Proving Grounds to hit CLOSED BETA November 2nd!

Important announcements about the game's status or playtesting will appear here.

Moderator: SolC Development Leads

MadMax1998
Site Admin

Proving Grounds to hit CLOSED BETA November 2nd!

Postby MadMax1998 » 31 Oct 2015, 22:32

The day has finally arrived. It's release time! Like a big rocket bound for the moon, we are going to release Sol Contingency: Proving Grounds in three stages.

1) The first is our CLOSED BETA starting Monday, November 2, limited to ~50 players.
2) We will follow up with a second, OPEN BETA phase, probably later in November.
3) After that, we're making the release official with the full, community-tested and rock solid final version of Proving Grounds.
4) And once that's done, it's time to get the next step of Sol-C kickstarted, with your help!

Since our crowdfunding campaign for the full version of Sol Contingency needs some time to be fully assembled, but we want to get the game into your hands, we have decided that this staged release is the best of both worlds: if you are a die-hard Sol-C fan, the closed beta may be your ticket in first, while everybody will get a shot at testing the open beta not much later. We want your feedback on the game and we want to see whether it stands the test of the many different machines it will be run on. After all, when we go about making the next version, we want to be sure you enjoy Proving Grounds for a long time!

"How can I get in to the closed beta?" you ask. Well, how about showing us that you're worth your salt by telling us how long you've been following us? Did you tell others about the project? Have you been an avid poster on our forum? Are you a dedicated server administrator willing to help people get started playing? Have you beta-tested a game before, do you own a YouTube channel or blog, or are you even from the press around the web and want to cover Proving Grounds?

If you can say "YES" to any of these questions, keep your eyes peeled for exact instructions on how to get in when we make the beta available on Monday! If you're a newcomer to Sol-C, the open beta will be for you -- no restrictions, everyone can participate, just hang in a few more weeks and we will be ready to give you a shot too.

Watch this space on Monday to see how this unfolds. Buckle up, pilots!
Max
Sol Contingency Programming Lead
Sol Contingency Website
WillyPs

Re: Proving Grounds to hit CLOSED BETA November 2nd!

Postby WillyPs » 01 Nov 2015, 01:32

Very cool, looking forward to seeing this!

Oh, and congratulations!
youtle

Postby youtle » 01 Nov 2015, 02:14

HAPPENING!
Duper

Postby Duper » 01 Nov 2015, 02:26

Wonderful news! Good luck "contestants"! ;)
"The cat was Aready dead when I got there." - Curiosity
Earthshaker
Beta Tester

Postby Earthshaker » 01 Nov 2015, 07:52

*blinks* - *pinches self*

Is... is this... real? You're not trying to play some crazy Halloween trick on us, are you?... :D

Woooooo! Terrific news guys, and another congratulations for reaching this stage after 3 years! Is there any particular way you want to hear from folks interested in the closed beta, or should we just "apply" here on this thread?
1/2Hawk
SolC Development Lead

Postby 1/2Hawk » 01 Nov 2015, 08:19

Nope - no tricks. Time to get off the pot with what we got, so to speak. Max will explain more about how to apply very soon. The music has been composed, the maps are done, the UI is nearly there and the overall bug list grows super short. We just don't know what we don't know yet, so one last major test should hopefully reveal the homestretch. That's really hard to do testing on just 4 computers stretched over 3 continents.

Regarding this beta, I hope whomever we pick to help test will take it seriously and work with us to identify anything that seems off, wrong or broken - as opposed to running off to other forums to trash us behind our backs for being an amateur outfit, eh. Cuz you know, manners and what-not. And the other request is that it'd be awesome to get a wish list of new features and ideas, but first recognize it's going to be way easier to go tackle new and cool stuff in UE4 and not prolong development here in UDK.

Pro-Tip: Anybody willing to help volunteer some time to develop a tiny applet that sets up a dedicated server to launch with all the available options, or has mad skillz designing websites, or has a clan server they're willing to test our game on ... I'd put that in your application. *wink*
UDK & UE4 - Visual FX (Particle Systems, Custom Materials, Lighting), Modeling, Animation/Rigging, Mapping, Coding
ZcRaider
Beta Tester

Postby ZcRaider » 02 Nov 2015, 01:28

I'm down. I've been watching you guys since WAY before that cheesy C&D. Since that very first article stating that there was a group of Dev's making the game in UDK, and how awesome it was. Since then, I've just been waiting in the shadows... There was an earlier web article that had a still picture of the project. It's what started it all for me, but I can't find it. However, I know for sure that it was certainly this video, that got me following you guys, back in 2012:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxOxiOQ4sXU

I just noticed ... "That other company" has just released an official sequel to the "aforementioned" on steam. I was blown away, at how many do not even know what happened, and are playing into their hype :-/

I have mixed feelings if I will buy it or not. But before I even consider chucking $30, I will support you guys 3x over. From the feedback I have read, and the YouTube videos I've seen...you guys seem to truly capture the old-school feel, and are staying true to this feel as well. So... I will be happy to give you guys my support, before I even consider the latter.

Wow... as far as my cred...I don't even know were to begin. I can't fit it all here. I played the offical game since the 90's, on my 486 Packard Bell...all the way up to D3. I play many other similar games as well, and my 6DOF exp, spans over into many different FPS's as well. UT99-2004, Quake 2, 3, 4, Toxikk, etc. I could make a whole new thread really, just on the amount of games I have played, and excel in.

I have also officially beta-tested for Bethesda (Along with CS support lol). So I can play the game, AND can give End-User IT Solutions / Troubleshooting LOL. So...I hope I can be a good candidate for the closed beta.

However, if for some reason I don't make the cut, its cool. I've waited this long...I can wait another few weeks or so. I have faith in you guys.

Cheers
Mani-aX
Beta Tester

Postby Mani-aX » 02 Nov 2015, 13:34

I have also been watching this game from its starting dev. Seems you guys are actually taking the time to make this one right. I have played several of the clones out there released recently, but none have the right feeling to the gameplay. when i watch your youtube videos and twitch channel i see a lot better gameplay IMO to the oldschool games we all "still" play. Can't wait to see this title release, keep up the good work!

-Mani
Yoshimitsu
Beta Tester

Postby Yoshimitsu » 02 Nov 2015, 14:38

It's finally happening, this is very exciting news!! Congratulations to all of you! :D I'm keeping a sharp eye out for that Beta application thread but in the meantime;

I would love to help test the game. I would certainly take it seriously (while hopefully also having fun) and I like to think that I could provide useful criticism. I've eagerly been following SolC since Max first posted his first little video flying around a UT3 map and Seb first posted the Ascent Project on the D2X-XL boards. I joined this forum In April of 2013 and I've chimed in with my thoughts whenever I felt like I had something to contribute either seriously or in jest. Throughout that time SolC has continued to give me hope for the 6Dof genre as a whole and an opportunity to contribute to something that I have so much affection for would be most welcome.

As far as previous beta experience goes, the only game I have officially tested for so far is the ongoing Descent: Underground beta where I have helped to resolve more than one issue and continue to provide feedback. Unofficially though I have been an eager participant in the perpetual bughunt that accompanies D2X-XL since 2008.

While I have a very small internet presence (no facebook or other social networking) I am active in the Descent community and I try to encourage people to keep interest in SolC. In particular I frequently talk about the little test session you invited me to back in August when I'm on the rangers mumble, telling the other pilots about how much fun I had. My ultimate goal is to enjoy playing SolC with lots of other people.

In any case, I am thrilled to see how far the game has come over the last couple of years and I can't wait to join you all in the cockpit! :)
MadMax1998
Site Admin

Postby MadMax1998 » 02 Nov 2015, 16:13

Here is a short update on the progress for you guys.

I'm compiling test builds and installing them on two machines at my home and have them run networked games to see if everything checks out. So far there is one problem I have encountered which I'm trying to fix right away. Once this is done and the next build checks all the marks, we can ready the upload.

Once the build is uploaded, we'll post some PR stuff on YouTube, Facebook and our website. So check these portals too in a few hours to see what goes down there.

So far we're looking on schedule.
Max
Sol Contingency Programming Lead
Sol Contingency Website

Return to “Announcements”