Proving Grounds to hit CLOSED BETA November 2nd!

Important announcements about the game's status or playtesting will appear here.

Moderator: SolC Development Leads

Halogene

Re: Proving Grounds to hit CLOSED BETA November 2nd!

Postby Halogene » 03 Nov 2015, 09:38

I've been following this closely and with great excitement since the release of the Descent to UDK video, though mostly quietly in the background. I'm very much looking forward to test this - but given my current severe lack of spare time I'll be patiently waiting for the open beta. However, I'm quite concerned about making the steam account a condition precedent for getting access to the closed beta. I do hope there will be a way to get and play the game without a steam account as announced earlier on? Making a steam account obligatory is a design decision that has kept me from playing a lot of games already that I'd otherwise loved to purchase. I'd be a very sad lamp if this is going to happen with a game I've been looking forward to for years.
Springer
Beta Tester

Postby Springer » 03 Nov 2015, 09:44

What is the problem with opening a Steam account? Do you have some strange grudge against Valve? You clearly create accounts other places as evident by your account here...
-Proudfoot
Poxy
Beta Tester

Postby Poxy » 03 Nov 2015, 10:02

We all have our reasons for hating Valve. Those bastards....

I'd be happier too if Sol Contingency was released without Steam being a necessary component.
I don't like using Steam very much.
MadMax1998
Site Admin

Postby MadMax1998 » 03 Nov 2015, 10:41

We use the Steam account to verify who you are in the closed beta. Also, we use Steam itself to track servers. The full release will work without Steam, but you won't get the benefits of a server browser without it.
Max
Sol Contingency Programming Lead
Sol Contingency Website
Halogene

Postby Halogene » 03 Nov 2015, 11:08

Springer wrote:What is the problem with opening a Steam account? Do you have some strange grudge against Valve? You clearly create accounts other places as evident by your account here...

Just privacy concerns, no grudge and in particular nothing strange.

More detailed but off topic: This site tracks only the posts I make, not when and where I play what game with whom. The information collected here exactly corresponds to (and is required for) the purpose that I disclose them for - making posts. With steam, on the other hand, there is collection and storage of personal data that neither corresponds to the purpose of playing a game nor is it required for playing a game. And it is obligatory - I can't just opt out and say "today I'm playing as an anonymous player".

MadMax1998 wrote:We use the Steam account to verify who you are in the closed beta. Also, we use Steam itself to track servers. The full release will work without Steam, but you won't get the benefits of a server browser without it.

Ah, thanks for clarifying. Then I guess the open beta will be accessible without steam, too, since there is no need to verify anyone's identity for an open beta.
MadMax1998
Site Admin

Postby MadMax1998 » 03 Nov 2015, 11:22

Ah, thanks for clarifying. Then I guess the open beta will be accessible without steam, too, since there is no need to verify anyone's identity for an open beta.

Precisely.
Max
Sol Contingency Programming Lead
Sol Contingency Website

Return to “Announcements”