Proving Grounds RELEASE DATE CONFIRMED!

Important announcements about the game's status or playtesting will appear here.

Moderator: SolC Development Leads

youtle

Re: Proving Grounds RELEASE DATE CONFIRMED!

Postby youtle » 14 Apr 2016, 02:28

Awesome! Just make sure to get the word out there emailing all the news sites and youtube e-celebs a few days before hand will give them something to look forward to getting their hands on.
StatiC

Postby StatiC » 14 Apr 2016, 02:52

MadMax1998 wrote:Well, you may be limited by the number of axes and buttons XInput supports --AFAIK it's 16 buttons and six axes total.

Oh. Thanks for that info. I found the info below too. The 2 triggers can be the 2 more axis that make 6 I assume. I have more than 19 buttons just on my CH Pro Throttle (and 3 analog axis). I also have 19 on my Fighterstick (and 3 axis). Each of those devices actually have 4 more buttons each (23 per device) because the hat is an 8 way hat. My rudder has 3 more axis. I don't use all of them of course with d1 or d2 though. I use 6 axis and about 23 buttons right now with d1 and d2 although that is combined between all 3 joysticks.

"XInput supports maximum of 4 axes, 10 buttons, 2 triggers and 8-direction digital pad per controller, compared to DirectInput's support for 8 axes, 128 buttons, and full-range POV. (The number of axes, buttons and triggers XInput supports corresponds directly to the Xbox 360 controller.)"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectInput

I am surprised that Microsoft went with a new API that is more limiting than the old one. I understand people can still use the older DirectInput API I guess except UE3? I am surprised there isn't a third party or some other way to get DirectInput to work with UE3. That seems like it would be such a big limitation with UE3 for flight sims, etc.

EDIT: I just found this third party plugin for UE3 to get DirectInput support so I guess it is possible. It even has force feedback support (I don't have a force feedback joystick though).
https://github.com/Ikarus76/UEJoystickPlugin
richardboegli

Postby richardboegli » 14 Apr 2016, 04:48

"Friday Evening April 15th"...What region? Could you give a date time in UTC? Thanks.
metalgunner87
SolC Development Lead

Postby metalgunner87 » 14 Apr 2016, 13:46

richardboegli wrote:"Friday Evening April 15th"...What region? Could you give a date time in UTC? Thanks.

we will officially release at 6 PM Eastern Time US (10PM GMT) (00:00 saturday for Berlin) Hope this helps!
Yoshimitsu
Beta Tester

Postby Yoshimitsu » 14 Apr 2016, 14:46

StatiC wrote:The 2 triggers can be the 2 more axis that make 6 I assume.

Unfortunately that is unlikely. In Xinput the triggers are one-way axis only whereas each of the 4 thumbstick axis (and almost all joystick axis) are two-way. Because of this the devs added support to combine the two trigger axis into a single control axis so that you can use both directions. I use this to get analog banking.

What it means though is that even with the triggers you will only have 5 control axis. Luckily this didn't effect me because I have always used buttons for slide up/down but for you it might be a problem.

There is yet another emulator that may be useful to you. I haven't needed it so I don't have any first hand experience but I expect that you could use http://joytokey.net/en/ to make your last axis emulate a mouse and give you your 6th analog input. You could also use it to make all of your extra buttons emulate keys on the keyboard so that you can use them too.
MadMax1998
Site Admin

Postby MadMax1998 » 14 Apr 2016, 14:47

Well, it *is* possible to get DirectInput working in UDK and when Verran was still on our team, he worked on that. But he left and took it with him (it was pretty complex code and unfinished).

We stuck with what worked for this release.
Max
Sol Contingency Programming Lead
Sol Contingency Website
VEX-Ben

Postby VEX-Ben » 14 Apr 2016, 14:48

Yes, it helps ... but it hurts ;-), - 1 day later for Gemany

but

A happy outcome is worth waiting for. :-)
StatiC

Postby StatiC » 14 Apr 2016, 20:52

I will try to get by with using buttons for roll. I used to play that way a long time ago in the 90's (5 axis and 2 buttons for roll). I have got used to using an axis for that in d1x and d2x now though. Hopefully that will work well enough for me. Now I just have to worry about the limited buttons since I will now need two for roll and also worry if the XOutput joystick bridge will work with CH Manager.

I don't see myself using the joytokey mouse emulation software. I have tried to do things like that in the past with other games and they have never felt like real joystick axis to me.

Looking at the XOutput configuration it won't be fun figuring out which axis and button is which when trying to assign them to the virtual Xinput xbox controller. They don't have a "move this button or stick to assign" type thing. I do hope that if this game does well that true DirectInput capability can be implemented at some point. I am sure the current Xinput limitation will discourage some new users with their DirectInput controllers. We need as many people as possible playing the game. With 6DoF games there are a lot of variations how people like to setup their controls and that is really important IMHO.
SgtThorne
Beta Tester

Postby SgtThorne » 14 Apr 2016, 23:19

Threw up a topic over on the Descent: Underground More Games forum for anyone over there who isn't aware of this.

https://descendentstudios.com/community ... s-release/
Running: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
Intel Core i7 4770K @ 4.20GHz Haswell - 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3
EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SSC 4GB - NVIDIA Drivers v10.18.13.5850
Asus Z87-PRO Motherboard - Onboard High Definition Audio
Yoshimitsu
Beta Tester

Postby Yoshimitsu » 15 Apr 2016, 02:29

StatiC wrote:Looking at the XOutput configuration it won't be fun figuring out which axis and button is which when trying to assign them to the virtual Xinput xbox controller. They don't have a "move this button or stick to assign" type thing.

That is why I used http://www.x360ce.com/ That one has a nice GUI that lets you assign mappings very easily. I believe that you might even be able to assign your banking axis to xinput buttons (-axis=A +axis=B or something like that). You'd be able to use your regular configuration, roll would just be digital rather than analog.

I was also suggesting joytokey to get those extra buttons working for you. If you get them behaving like keyboard keys then you should be able to map them all in the game. That said, unless you are mapping them to the weapon hotkeys You probably won't need them. SolC doesn't have that many controls.

I agree with you that there is a risk of turning some players away because of this rigamarole but one thing to bear in mind is that this Proving Grounds release is built in UE3. The full game is intended for UE4 and to the best of my knowledge UE4 has better control support (Descent : Underground is a UE4 game and it supported my old sticks with almost no difficulties).
I do know that for me it is well worth the trouble. I absolutely loved my time in the SolC Beta and I'm eagerly looking forward to the final release.

Return to “Announcements”