Proving Grounds RELEASE DATE CONFIRMED!

Important announcements about the game's status or playtesting will appear here.

Moderator: SolC Development Leads

StatiC

Re: Proving Grounds RELEASE DATE CONFIRMED!

Postby StatiC » 16 Apr 2016, 11:52

I agree with you as i really like the physics in the game. It does feel like the old descent to me how the ship moves and such. I am also looking forward to a kickstarter or something in the future. I hope to play my HOTAS joystick setup when that happens. I will definitely back this game. I think the movement, sizing, perspective, etc are really good... better than DU IMHO.
MadMax1998
Site Admin

Postby MadMax1998 » 16 Apr 2016, 17:36

If we can make DirectInput happen we will!
Max
Sol Contingency Programming Lead
Sol Contingency Website
StatiC

Postby StatiC » 16 Apr 2016, 19:18

I was able to get my axis working! It was a misunderstanding how to configure x360ce when using joystick combining. I love it! I still definitely think DirectInput is a must for a final release but this is a nice workaround for those that want to go through it to get it working. This is especially true for buttons.

This feels REALLY good! I am loving it. The ship speed and feel is like Descent!!! The weapons so far feel great too.
Yoshimitsu
Beta Tester

Postby Yoshimitsu » 16 Apr 2016, 20:44

Awesome news StatiC! What was the missing piece if I may ask?

Glad you're enjoying it (I am too). I'll see you in there sometime soon.
StatiC

Postby StatiC » 17 Apr 2016, 00:06

I didn't realize that I had to bind the axis and buttons to each joystick in x360ce even though they are disabled (red) when you combine them into a single joystick.

After playing for a bit the thing that I notice right away is actually too much detail in the levels for multiplayer which seem more of a distraction for multiplayer gameplay also making it harder to see your opponents. For single player robots I can see it being great and fun but for multiplayer more basic level design I think would make it easier to see your opponents and maybe help frame rate too. For instance... The Neptune level I was stuck in a datacenter for a few minutes before I could even find my way out. Someone had to guide me out. That area seems like it should have been left out of the level. It doesn't add anything to the gameplay at all. Don't get me wrong... the levels look great! It is just that for multiplayer some of the detail like shelves, etc are just distractions and probably don't help frame rates which are more important than graphics for multiplayer. I would love to see a more simplified port of Neptune :).

Are the tools available for people to create levels for SolC? I am sure third party levels will probably be simpler as far as detail in the levels like shelves, server cabinets, etc.

I also wish there were more bindings so that I could switch immediately to certain weapons on my joysticks but the problem with limited number of buttons with Xinput will rear it's head doing that because you are severely limited with max buttons with Xinput.

I am still really liking the feel of the movement. Great job! I love the lava!
Yoshimitsu
Beta Tester

Postby Yoshimitsu » 17 Apr 2016, 00:30

I wondered if that might be it. I just put up an illustrated guide to using x360ce with multiple devices and HOTAS. http://forum.sol-contingency.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=776
Hopefully it will help people.

By the way, I think the server room you were stuck in leads to a hidden invulnerability powerup (at least it used to) so that is its function.

Return to “Announcements”