Game Design! ? (◄ █ ►)

Got a specific question or suggestion on the game? You ask, the developers answer.

Moderator: SolC Development Leads

Sylvester_Ink

Re: Game Design! ? (◄ █ ►)

Postby Sylvester_Ink » 11 Jun 2015, 05:50

1DVD4D2UDK wrote:
Duper wrote:The one thing to worry about is packet loss. That will always cause more trouble than lag. A game where pings range from 120 to 200 but clean is at least predicable. A game where pings are 20 to 60 but dropping packets? no way.
I know a bit about networks, but I'm curious about what type of connection elements would invite packet loss? Too many hops, an overseas connection, or just below average routing through old trunk lines? And if I remember correctly, the weakest link is the longest with too much resistance.

It tends to be a combination of things. One issue is when a router packet queue is full, it will flush excess packets. (In some cases, UDP packets already in the queue may be flushed in favor of TCP, depending on the router.) Other times, the packet size may be larger than the accepted size by the router, and as a result, it will split the large packet into several smaller packets. If any of these packets doesn't go through (possibly from filling the queue, etc), the entire packet is lost. (These are also why small packets are preferred, even today.) Packets may become corrupt in transmission (due to stuff like router/switch crosstalk, transfers, parallel transmission, etc), and so forth. Basically, there are a lot of ways to lose a transmitted packet, ESPECIALLY if wireless is involved somewhere along the line. (But no sensible gamer plays over wireless, right?)

But you are correct, a smooth, constant connection with higher lag will generally result in a more playable game than a low latency connection with regular lag spikes and packet loss.

I haven't done much network programming in recent years (thank goodness), but my curiosity has gotten the best of me, so if I have a chance, I'll take a look at some of the rebirth/retro network code this weekend.
1DVD4D2UDK

Postby 1DVD4D2UDK » 11 Jun 2015, 18:58

Sylvester_Ink wrote:Basically, there are a lot of ways to lose a transmitted packet, ESPECIALLY if wireless is involved somewhere along the line. (But no sensible gamer plays over wireless, right?)

I haven't done much network programming in recent years (thank goodness), but my curiosity has gotten the best of me, so if I have a chance, I'll take a look at some of the rebirth/retro network code this weekend.
Did you mention before about having access to the source code for those? Since
I'm a bit curious if you'd actually be able to disseminate their netcode simply by
disassembly? or through some sort of code conversions to C+ or pseudo code. :?:

Wouldn't it be possible to create a generic driver extension so that you could
manage the operating variables for your netcard to force smaller packets? :mrgreen:
Last edited by 1DVD4D2UDK on 11 Jun 2015, 19:16, edited 1 time in total.
After closing your browser, it'll be with you - in back of your mind
waiting to inspire you, by what you've seen, heard, or read today
1DVD, 1DVD4D2UDK, 1DVD-DCLXVI, 1DeViLiShDuDe, @uToPLaY
http://descent-to-udk.deviantart.com http://1devilishdude.deviantart.com
Duper

Postby Duper » 11 Jun 2015, 19:03

Retro is open source.
"The cat was Aready dead when I got there." - Curiosity
Sylvester_Ink

Postby Sylvester_Ink » 12 Jun 2015, 04:27

As is Rebirth. I've had the source code for Rebirth since I installed it (source-based distro), and I just cloned Drakona's Retro repository on Github, so I have all that covered.
Duper

Postby Duper » 12 Jun 2015, 16:38

Ah, OK. :)

I's forgotten that Rebirth was on an open source format.
"The cat was Aready dead when I got there." - Curiosity

Return to “Developer Q&A”