User created custom content

Got a specific question or suggestion on the game? You ask, the developers answer.

Moderator: SolC Development Leads

homeyduh
SolC Team

User created custom content

Post by homeyduh » 07 Dec 2014, 23:56

I'm realizing that I'll be making maps that are just gonna end up rotting on my hard drive considering that I won't be an official mapper until I get good enough...and I don't really want that. I'm thinking that maps like Polyclonal and forward may be good for public access as a Fan made map so others can download, edit, or play with (when the game is out). Currently, the map is only hosted on dropbox, but I was wondering if you guys will have somewhere that will host fan content, including my future maps, Martin's music/sound effects, 1DVD's map as well as any custom content that others plan on sharing. Custom content can be limited by you guys (i.e. no Custom ships/ weapons to prevent IP infringement on you-know-who). This would be awesome and could help newbies if people share static meshes as well as other UDK assets.

Just a thought because I don't really want my maps to go into the trash if I think some people might like to play on them.
Sol Contingency mapper, Descent 1 and 2 fan, Community Relations, and all-around nice guy.

Twitter: @homeyduh

Vertigo Fox
SolC Team

Re: User created custom content

Post by Vertigo Fox » 08 Dec 2014, 00:33

A good thought, a site like that would let the devs add the actual official content that community mappers can use as well as the community content and keep it all in the same place. I don't know if we're actually planning something like this already.
I haven't seen your maps yet but I will eventually. Right now I have that other contract I need to finish and if I can get it done while Proving Grounds is still in the makings I'll have less stuff to work on at once when we move on to the singleplayer game, where I'll be needed a lot more. I have a concept album project that's finally going somewhere and I might be able to finish that in time too. :)
Sol-C Pet Cat
---------------------------------------------------------------
Isthay ignatureshay oesn'tday eallyray aysay anythingyay.

homeyduh
SolC Team

Post by homeyduh » 08 Dec 2014, 00:56

Yeah, I was thinking of using DMDB, but that would probably only cover maps. I had actually asked Jourdan Laik a few months ago if we could use his medium, and he said he would be interested in hosting us, but that he hadn't heard from anyone about it. The thing about that is that he only hosts maps, whereas we can get so many different types of custom content for UDK, like meshes, particle systems, materials, textures, sounds...and all that good stuff. Sol Contingency now is more than just a bunch of cubes with preset sounds and assets. Grouping content would be awesome, but I'm sure that you guys are already busy with developing the game as it is.
Sol Contingency mapper, Descent 1 and 2 fan, Community Relations, and all-around nice guy.

1/2Hawk
SolC Development Lead

Post by 1/2Hawk » 08 Dec 2014, 02:49

Wonder if we could get setup on Github and push out our content updates and patches that way. Then you guys could 'fork' off clones of your own content and modify as necessary. Hrmm...
UDK & UE4 - Visual FX (Particle Systems, Custom Materials, Lighting), Modeling, Animation/Rigging, Mapping, Coding

homeyduh
SolC Team

Post by homeyduh » 08 Dec 2014, 02:53

I would be down for that. I just don't want my stuff to gather dust. Naturally my first 2 maps are total garbage, but I think Polyclonal is at least salvageable. My future maps will be in the same boat.

MadMax1998
Site Admin

Post by MadMax1998 » 08 Dec 2014, 10:15

While I have said from the beginning that I want to support mappers because they give our game more longetivity, and while we did talk about a central place to host maps previously, plans in that direction might change since we now consider PG a demo that we give to players for two reasons:

1) to get people interested in the game and prove our concept
2) to gather fan support for the full game made with UE4

This means after PG's release we will move full steam ahead with production of the actual game that SolC is (single and multiplayer) and leave the UDK code behind. I will probably patch a few things up if players run into trouble, but adding features to PG or supporting a whole mapping community for a demo (!) would take valueable time away from developing the full game, which of course we will support properly and give players opportunites for to show their stuff. I just want to make it clear that the UDK version of SolC (which is PG and nothing else) will be obsolete after release and while I hope that mappers will keep it running for a while, giving the community new stuff to play with, it's not the full devs-and-community game you are asking for. THAT will be the NEXT game on UE4.

You are mapping for a demo of our game.
Max
Sol Contingency Programming Lead
Sol Contingency Website

1DVD4D2UDK

Post by 1DVD4D2UDK » 08 Dec 2014, 18:16

MadMax1998 wrote:I will probably patch a few things up if players run into trouble, but adding features to PG or supporting a whole mapping community for a demo (!) would take valuable time away from developing the full game, which of course we will support properly and give players opportunities to show their stuff.

You are mapping for a demo of our game.
At some point and time, when things have settled down a bit - and you guys are full bore into UE4 creating the first episode, would you possibly consider passing the coder torch as it were to someone else you can trust to do a good job?

To possibly include new features, but mainly for updates and any needed bug fixes - and to allow some support for backward compatibility, since UE4 will require monster gaming machines to run and play on.
Not to mention even trying to create new content with the very different but still awesome new editor modules.
Last edited by 1DVD4D2UDK on 08 Dec 2014, 18:29, edited 1 time in total.
After closing your browser, it'll be with you - in back of your mind
waiting to inspire you, by what you've seen, heard, or read today
1DVD, 1DVD4D2UDK, 1DVD-DCLXVI, 1DeViLiShDuDe, @uToPLaY
http://descent-to-udk.deviantart.com http://1devilishdude.deviantart.com

homeyduh
SolC Team

Post by homeyduh » 08 Dec 2014, 18:21

Well change what I meant for supporting UDK development to UE4 development. Hosting of UE4 assets, fan made and official, would be pretty cool since it localizes all our stuff for easy access.

MadMax1998
Site Admin

Post by MadMax1998 » 08 Dec 2014, 22:49

homeyduh wrote:Well change what I meant for supporting UDK development to UE4 development. Hosting of UE4 assets, fan made and official, would be pretty cool since it localizes all our stuff for easy access.
Yeah sure, although the UE4 marketplace (by Epic) is there already and could be used.
1DVD4D2UDK wrote:would you possibly consider passing the coder torch as it were to someone else you can trust to do a good job?
Nope; while my code started out kind of public with the tutorial I wrote about it, we have to consider now that the code (which will, in some other form, be part of the UE4 version) is our greatest strength in competing on the game dev market and if we ever want this game to be more than a free fan project (which starts with crowdfunding), then we can't just give it to someone just to keep the UDK version updated.

If there are game-breaking bugs discovered, I'll probably fix them. Adding features to what is considered a *demo* would contradict the idea of a demo. I encourage people to come in and map for PG because it will just give players more to play while they wait for the full game (plus gaining experience mapping for UDK will help them later with UE4), but the gameplay will be the same since it's still going to be a demo, a proof of concept, and neither a full game nor a free-for-all project that anyone can fork and expand on.

I know it might contradict the inital idea of an open community project that SolC ("Descent to UDK") started with, but the whole development focus has changed and we need to adapt to it.
1DVD4D2UDK wrote:UE4 will require monster gaming machines to run and play on
Please don't confuse the system requirements for the *development version* of UE4 with the *game* we make using it. UE4 (like UE3) is highly scalable and can run on tablets and phones, which should give you an idea of the minimum performance level your PC needs to meet to run SolC. I'm sure that even if we go all out with UE4's goodies and make super-detailed worlds (which we need to be able to do first -- time constraints may factor in here and we might not even max out the engine), there will always be options to scale down the game for lower-end machines. At the same time, we have entered the PS4/XbONE era and it's really time to move forward with what is now considered current tech. Bear in mind people upgrade their PCs for other games too and also that we need more than year to make the rest of the game after EP1. At that point UE4 is already outdated, heh.

You can't expect us to be on old tech just for some old veterans who can't upgrade their PCs to a minimum standard they should be on anyway for gaming. :?
1DVD4D2UDK wrote:Not to mention even trying to create new content with the very different but still awesome new editor modules
I don't know how experienced you are with UE4, but the editor is not "very" different from UDK at all. People (like homeyduh) who learn to map on UDK will be able to transfer their skills to UE4 easily. Sure, they need to relearn the workflow a little and use other tools, but the process of making a map is the same.

In short: no, as of now we don't plan to add features to PG or make it public domain. We do plan to support you guys making maps for it as best we can, and we will make sure that there will be a place to put your content for the full game.
Max
Sol Contingency Programming Lead
Sol Contingency Website

DuderSeb
SolC Development Lead

Post by DuderSeb » 08 Dec 2014, 23:14

I'll add to Max's post from the asset development side and why "official" asset development for PG will also halt/no longer be supported or updated.

UE4 gives us the option to use PBR shading; a model I fully want and intend to take advantage of and make de facto for SolC.

What this means is that although not much will change in the 3D side of things (except a higher polygon cap) a lot will change in the texturing and materials front as PBR Shaders and a PBR-Based material/texture workflow is very different than "current" (read: last-gen) procedures. Therefore, all existing UDK assets will be done-over, upscaled, and re-baked to accommodate to PBR shading and all future assets will be developed under PBR workflow.

This is one of the aspects of UE4 I'm personally most excited about.
Concept Art | Modeling | Texturing
Sol Contingency Steam Group