User created custom content

Got a specific question or suggestion on the game? You ask, the developers answer.

Moderator: SolC Development Leads

homeyduh
SolC Team

Re: User created custom content

Postby homeyduh » 09 Dec 2014, 00:47

Madmax wrote:Nope; while my code started out kind of public with the tutorial I wrote about it, we have to consider now that the code (which will, in some other form, be part of the UE4 version) is our greatest strength in competing on the game dev market and if we ever want this game to be more than a free fan project (which starts with crowdfunding), then we can't just give it to someone just to keep the UDK version updated.

Do you mean to delete the tutorial on how to make the 6dof gameplay? Because just yesterday I was able to Google it up.
Sol Contingency mapper, Descent 1 and 2 fan, Community Relations, and all-around nice guy.

Twitter: @homeyduh
homeyduh
SolC Team

Postby homeyduh » 09 Dec 2014, 00:50

I just looked up PBR...:O!!!!!!!!!
Sol Contingency mapper, Descent 1 and 2 fan, Community Relations, and all-around nice guy.

1DVD4D2UDK

Postby 1DVD4D2UDK » 09 Dec 2014, 07:39

MadMax1998 wrote:In short: no, as of now we don't plan to add features to PG or make it public domain. We do plan to support you guys making maps for it as best we can, and we will make sure that there will be a place to put your content for the full game.
Well, I was hoping for slightly different answers - but it is your show, and it must go on! :D

DuderSeb wrote:Therefore, all existing UDK assets will be done-over, upscaled, and re-baked to accommodate to PBR shading and all future assets will be developed under PBR workflow.

This is one of the aspects of UE4 I'm personally most excited about.
So, SolC in UE4 will look even more realistic than it already does in Proving Grounds! Yay! :)

HomeyDuh wrote:Do you mean to delete the tutorial on how to make the 6dof gameplay? Because just yesterday I was able to Google it up.
You'll still be able to go0gle it, but the link won't work after it's taken down.

So, I guess making use of your 6dof tutorial for a mod is a no go now!?! :|
Oh well, you can't stand in the way of progress - so it's best to give a wide berth, or get run over.

So, I'll try and keep up - with another drive, some more memory on the way, and hopefully another MB to put ½Hawk's GTS's into . Which I still plan on reimbursing you through PayPal as you suggested. After that I can concentrate on getting UE4 installed.

As a side project, I guess I could figure out how to extend Brold9999's initial 6dof controller for UT2 that's on the BU Wiki or ModDB & SourceForge for Both UT2 & 3 in UT Space Battle.
After closing your browser, it'll be with you - in back of your mind
waiting to inspire you, by what you've seen, heard, or read today
1DVD, 1DVD4D2UDK, 1DVD-DCLXVI, 1DeViLiShDuDe, @uToPLaY
http://descent-to-udk.deviantart.com http://1devilishdude.deviantart.com
MadMax1998
Site Admin

Postby MadMax1998 » 09 Dec 2014, 10:03

The tutorial I wrote is heavily outdated by now and just a starting point for UDK scripters. It has bugs, plus UDK coding won't matter as much the further away we move from UE3.

The code we use now is quite different.
Max
Sol Contingency Programming Lead
Sol Contingency Website
1DVD4D2UDK

Postby 1DVD4D2UDK » 09 Dec 2014, 14:51

MadMax1998 wrote:The tutorial I wrote is heavily outdated by now and just a starting point for UDK scripters. It has bugs, plus UDK coding won't matter as much the further away we move from UE3.

Roger that, a starting point.
MadMax1998
Site Admin

Postby MadMax1998 » 09 Dec 2014, 16:50

1DVD4D2UDK wrote:
MadMax1998 wrote:The tutorial I wrote is heavily outdated by now and just a starting point for UDK scripters. It has bugs, plus UDK coding won't matter as much the further away we move from UE3.

...what exactly are you getting at? :?:
Max
Sol Contingency Website
homeyduh
SolC Team

Postby homeyduh » 09 Dec 2014, 17:06

I've been reading a lot of the changes in UE4, and I noticed the code is in C++. How will that change the coding for the 6dof? Have you tried to implement a code into UE4 to see if it works? I also noticed that emissive lighting is no long considered static lighting, but dynamic lighting. That kinda stinks because I was familiarizing myself with it and using it extensively on my new map. Also, how will the change in units affect our ship size? UE4 not only snaps in multiples of 5 (1,5,10,50,100,1000), but instead of 1uu=2cm, 1uu=1cm.

...sorry I'm just regurgitating information that I just learned lol

homeyduh
SolC Team

Postby homeyduh » 09 Dec 2014, 18:17

STATIC LIGHTING FROM EMISSIVE MATERIALS

Emissive materials can now directly illuminate surrounding objects!

Emissive Materials

Turn this on using the new “Use Emissive For Static Lighting” option on shadow-casting components with Mobility set to “Static”. When enabled, Lightmass generates baked direct lighting from emissive texture sources.
Note: this is a fast but limited version of emissive lighting. Only direct lighting is computed but build time is not affected. It is best used in scenes that have other light sources.

As of UE4.6, emissive can be used as static lighting, but will not inflate build time. Does that mean LM won't calculate bounces, but will smooth it out? It says that it will affect light mapping...but if it won't require long build times, then count me in!

1DVD4D2UDK

Postby 1DVD4D2UDK » 09 Dec 2014, 18:21

MadMax1998 wrote:
1DVD4D2UDK wrote:

...what exactly are you getting at? :?:
Actually, I'm trying to be as general as possible - since other modders will have their own questions, and you guys already have your hands full. So, basically I was simply acknowledging your point. :mrgreen:
MadMax1998
Site Admin

Postby MadMax1998 » 10 Dec 2014, 01:31

homeyduh wrote:I've been reading a lot of the changes in UE4, and I noticed the code is in C++. How will that change the coding for the 6dof? Have you tried to implement a code into UE4 to see if it works?

I have not had the time to check out UE4 in person yet. It will change a lot, that's for sure. Another reason not to give away our code; it's the basis for future code built with UE4, which is *actual* engine source code.
Max
Sol Contingency Website

Return to “Developer Q&A”