User created custom content

Got a specific question or suggestion on the game? You ask, the developers answer.

Moderator: SolC Development Leads

homeyduh
SolC Team

Re: User created custom content

Postby homeyduh » 10 Dec 2014, 03:04

So you would have to rewrite the entire code for C++? I don't know much about coding, so Idk if UnrealScript will easily transfer to C++
Sol Contingency mapper, Descent 1 and 2 fan, Community Relations, and all-around nice guy.

Twitter: @homeyduh
MadMax1998
Site Admin

Postby MadMax1998 » 10 Dec 2014, 10:21

It probably won't transfer.
Max
Sol Contingency Programming Lead
Sol Contingency Website
1/2Hawk
SolC Development Lead

Postby 1/2Hawk » 10 Dec 2014, 23:37

homeyduh wrote:I've been reading a lot of the changes in UE4, and I noticed the code is in C++. How will that change the coding for the 6dof? Have you tried to implement a code into UE4 to see if it works? I also noticed that emissive lighting is no long considered static lighting, but dynamic lighting. That kinda stinks because I was familiarizing myself with it and using it extensively on my new map. Also, how will the change in units affect our ship size? UE4 not only snaps in multiples of 5 (1,5,10,50,100,1000), but instead of 1uu=2cm, 1uu=1cm.

UnrealScript goes straight out the window. The symantics of the code in C++ looks roughly the same but the problem is in C++ you can really screw things ups pretty fast - much more power available, but with that you also have to be way more careful with how things are declared and accessed. You can't copy paste either - some of the variable declaration stuff at the top goes into separate header files now, and whole solutions need to be compiled from Visual Studio. (<-- Free version works fine for this btw)

On the bright side, all our code copied into Blueprint nodes 1:1 even back in 4.1 when I was playing around with it. Got a ship flying around in 6DOF no problemo. Now in 4.6 (or 4.7 if you have Github access on the promoted branch), there just all sorts of new stuff to make it all go smoother. Everything (development wise) goes 10x faster in UE4 than in UDK. No more sitting around for days searching weak tutorials trying to figure out something obscure anymore. It's literally an Epic tool.

Dynamic lighting is becoming more powerful all the time, and more useful. I'd say comparing two similar maps, UE4 tends to bake static lightmaps roughly twice as fast? Dont quote me there ... but the coolest thing yet is that in UE4 you can tell it to run Lightmass and then go right back to work using the rest of the editor. It runs in a background process now instead of tying up the whole editor... so who cares how long it takes?

As far as the scale goes, the new 1 UU = 1cm scale is so much better. Well at least for all the non-Americans (as we don't know how much 1cm is anyway). I, for one, think we have to get back on a normal scaling. When its just set randomly, there's a chain effect of how all the physics and friction and collisions work etc etc. BTW, I'm almost positive the 1, 5, 10, 50 snap spacing can be modified to be anything you want.
UDK & UE4 - Visual FX (Particle Systems, Custom Materials, Lighting), Modeling, Animation/Rigging, Mapping, Coding
homeyduh
SolC Team

Postby homeyduh » 11 Dec 2014, 00:06

1/2Hawk wrote:It's literally an Epic tool.

I'll be right back, that was too punny for me! lol

Well that sounds good. Since I'm in the science field, I'm somewhat more accustomed to the metric system. I'm actually excited to get to work in UE4. I have been watching some tutorials that Max sent me, and the workflow looks so much easier. I actually learned to use non-uniform scaling because of it, and Triaxiality is all the better because of it. Does better dynamic lighting mean that I could use more of them and that the post-processes are more efficient? I'm not planning on going overboard and making a bunch of flashing lights like I did last time, but it would be nice to be able to put a few dynamics in and not lag because of it. Faster build times would be fantastic. To be honest, I really just need to upgrade the RAM on my laptop. I'm running on 4 GB, but it's upgradeable to 8 GB. It's not expensive so I'll just ask for it for Christmas lol I also noticed that rotation goes by 10s instead of dividends of 90.
Sol Contingency mapper, Descent 1 and 2 fan, Community Relations, and all-around nice guy.

1/2Hawk
SolC Development Lead

Postby 1/2Hawk » 11 Dec 2014, 00:11

Got a buddy who has 8 GB in his system and he was having trouble keeping up. Then we found a setting that basically allows UE4 to run at whatever speed your system allows (instead of everything on "Ultra" for example) and it worked great. Even made my system feel much better (and I have 24 GB). If you get UE4, remind of this post and I'll show you how to flip this flag.
UDK & UE4 - Visual FX (Particle Systems, Custom Materials, Lighting), Modeling, Animation/Rigging, Mapping, Coding
1DVD4D2UDK

Postby 1DVD4D2UDK » 11 Dec 2014, 01:55

homeyduh wrote:So you would have to rewrite the entire code for C++? I don't know much about coding, so Idk if UnrealScript will easily transfer to C++
Well, at least a dev team on Moddb made a small converter for map geometry that is still T3D based! :D
As you can see in their doom map:
http://www.moddb.com/games/udk-doom

And their converter:
Download UE4 T3D Converter

I also found a low-end settings tweak for UDK! :)

Code: Select all

[SystemSettings]
StaticDecals=False
DynamicDecals=False
UnbatchedDecals=False
DecalCullDistanceScale=0.4
DynamicLights=True
DynamicShadows=False
LightEnvironmentShadows=False
CompositeDynamicLights=True
SHSecondaryLighting=True
DirectionalLightmaps=True
MotionBlur=False
MotionBlurPause=True
MotionBlurSkinning=1
DepthOfField=False
AmbientOcclusion=False
Bloom=False

~ Continued ...
But getting a look at the settings, it's mainly just turning off all the cool stuff! :|
It might be interesting to try after backing up the original, just to see how much faster it is than the default UDK system settings.

Maybe use it as a debugging tool, or speed mapping utility for map layout and quick testing.
Attachments
UDKSystemSettings.zip
(4.17 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
Last edited by 1DVD4D2UDK on 11 Dec 2014, 02:23, edited 1 time in total.
After closing your browser, it'll be with you - in back of your mind
waiting to inspire you, by what you've seen, heard, or read today
1DVD, 1DVD4D2UDK, 1DVD-DCLXVI, 1DeViLiShDuDe, @uToPLaY
http://descent-to-udk.deviantart.com http://1devilishdude.deviantart.com
homeyduh
SolC Team

Postby homeyduh » 11 Dec 2014, 02:20

That's more for low end builds in-game. I imagine that when you're in editor mode, you still use a large amount of power. My RAM gets up to 2 or 3 GB usage just RUNNING UDK lol no level loaded, nothing but the editor.

MadMax1998
Site Admin

Postby MadMax1998 » 11 Dec 2014, 13:03

Don't confuse [SystemSettings] with [SystemSettingsEditor] and the other derivatives. Editing UDKSystemSettings.ini is not a straightforward process.

That said, our game already includes low-end settings and every important graphics option can be customized via UI.
Max
Sol Contingency Programming Lead
Sol Contingency Website
1DVD4D2UDK

Postby 1DVD4D2UDK » 11 Dec 2014, 20:54

MadMax1998 wrote:Don't confuse [SystemSettings] with [SystemSettingsEditor] and the other derivatives. Editing UDKSystemSettings.ini is not a straightforward process.

That said, our game already includes low-end settings and every important graphics option can be customized via UI.
That's cool! :D
If I had those settings then I could make use of them while building maps for PG, and have them be compatible with existing settings too! :D
1DVD4D2UDK

Postby 1DVD4D2UDK » 13 Jul 2015, 20:02

I did a search for custom content here in the forums, and while the majority is regular stuff - I noticed a consistent lack of being able to mod the game easily, and since it's one of the main features I'm wondering how much will actually be moddable aside from the mapping?
Which would probably be in line with how customizable the UDK Servers and their content would be allowed either through steam, or the internal server options to run your own from a paid server - or even from home.

I'm also curious about the new measurement system, and if the system default of 256uu's is comparable to say 100cm's? - or whatever epic's coders decided would be a happy medium.

Return to “Developer Q&A”