custom laser colors.

Got a specific question or suggestion on the game? You ask, the developers answer.

Moderator: SolC Development Leads

homeyduh
SolC Team

custom laser colors.

Post by homeyduh » 26 Feb 2015, 03:35

I would've posted this in the dev forums, but I think that non-devs could add some input to this.

I was wondering if for the full game on UE4, laser colors are customizable. I mentioned this in some other thread long ago, but I thought it would be good to mention it Again. I think it might be a simple task to create customizable laser color sliders for users to pick their laser color. Most customization done to a ship are unseen (except upon death) but customizing a weapon color is easily noticeable by the player. Maybe I'm naive to think that it's a simple task, but it would be a fairly nice addition if it's not too much to ask. I would argue that you could do this to all weapons, but I think that might get too out of hand. Simple lasers could have one color with no sparkle or extra effects, but super lasers could have 2 colors (core color and a Fresnel color would be pretty snazzy I think) as well as sparkle colors (much like the current sparkle effects.

I don't know, I just think this simple kind of things is attractive. Sure it's purely aesthetic, but could be used for team battles (RvB), infection-style game types (infected player shoots black or dark green lasers) and other indicators.

Just a thought.
Sol Contingency mapper, Descent 1 and 2 fan, Community Relations, and all-around nice guy.

Twitter: @homeyduh

MadMax1998
Site Admin

Re: custom laser colors.

Post by MadMax1998 » 26 Feb 2015, 10:54

This was suggested before. There is a simple reason why this is NOT a good idea: the colors of weapon projectiles make it easy to identify what you are being shot at with -- yellow means lasers, blue means hyper lasers. Once players get to color their lasers green, purple or white, suddenly they look like plasma or dispersion projectiles -- except for their shape, which is hard to make out when these things come flying at you. Eight players in a match each with their own colors would just cause chaos with the rainbow spectrum flying all over the place.
Max
Sol Contingency Programming Lead
Sol Contingency Website

Halogene

Post by Halogene » 26 Feb 2015, 11:11

These kinds of customizations only make sense if they are restricted to the client, but that aside I think it is always a good idea to make the client-side display of the game as customizable as possible as long as that does not cause unreasonable efforts to implement.

A different story is game mode based laser colors, in team game modes team color coded lasers could indeed make a lot of sense, same goes for infection (which sort of is a team game mode too). But that would not really be subject to client-side configuration except for maybe switching between standard colors and team based coloring.

homeyduh
SolC Team

Post by homeyduh » 26 Feb 2015, 14:14

Wow both of those are very good points. I guess I was thinking of the novelty of it. I never thought how purple lasers could be mistaken for ion. I kinda figured, though that you could distinguish laser and hyper laser in that hyper laser had 2 colors...but I digress in lieu of the whole technical wall that Halogene mentioned. I still have hope for the game mode specific colors for teams. Not absolutely necessary, but a simple indicator of friend/for around a corner.
Sol Contingency mapper, Descent 1 and 2 fan, Community Relations, and all-around nice guy.

DuderSeb
SolC Development Lead

Post by DuderSeb » 26 Feb 2015, 15:11

homeyduh wrote:Not absolutely necessary, but a simple indicator of friend/for around a corner.
Always try to first think of client-side solutions for any issues like these; in other words, solutions that don't directly affect the game for others (like per-team colored weapons).
For example, about your quote above, you can just do that by showing an indicator on the HUD; much the same way we currently show homing lock-on. It's a solution that only you see and others aren't bothered by as it could have the added bonus of being toggable.
Concept Art | Modeling | Texturing
Sol Contingency Steam Group

MadMax1998
Site Admin

Post by MadMax1998 » 26 Feb 2015, 18:52

I can get behind team-colored lasers, but the problem is, what if we switch from lasers to another weapon? The colors would have to be monochrome so every weapon is blue for blue team and red for red team.
Max
Sol Contingency Website

homeyduh
SolC Team

Post by homeyduh » 26 Feb 2015, 19:40

That would be interesting, but again, weapons would be indistinguishable from each other. Maybe putting a colored outline around the weapon would allow players to see the team as well as the weapon type. I think a simple Fresnel could do it. So for ion, the core would be normal with a red/blue outline.

1/2Hawk
SolC Development Lead

Post by 1/2Hawk » 26 Feb 2015, 23:50

Holy moley you love ya some Fresnel homey. =) Note: They don't work as well in particle effects because screen aligned sprites dont have a reflection vector around the outline of a shape to give it any bling like you get on 3D meshes yeah.

For the record, I agree with Max here. I'd rather know what I'm being shot at with than who shot it - the game is already degenerating into a My Little Pony Rainbow party as it is.
UDK & UE4 - Visual FX (Particle Systems, Custom Materials, Lighting), Modeling, Animation/Rigging, Mapping, Coding

homeyduh
SolC Team

Post by homeyduh » 27 Feb 2015, 00:31

Shoot...and I was hoping that I could ask for a rainbow-colored electromagnetic cannon as well as Smart Missiles that shoot different colored Ion balls! lol Well I guess a good HUD that helps identify friend from foe would be cool, especially from a distance or in dark/foggy areas.

MadMax1998
Site Admin

Post by MadMax1998 » 27 Feb 2015, 11:22

Right now the HUD displays player names in your team's color above their ships. Of course it doesn't display anything for the opposition.
Max
Sol Contingency Website