The seeker bot

Got a specific question or suggestion on the game? You ask, the developers answer.

Moderator: SolC Development Leads

homeyduh
SolC Team

The seeker bot

Post by homeyduh » 27 Feb 2015, 05:49

I hope you guys aren't getting tired of my ideas.

I was thinking of innovative gameplays and thinking of how we could try to either create a brand new, never before thought of game mode or at least add a twist on a not so well game type. Something that I've liked in some other games (i can only think of L4D at the moment) is competitive cooperative play for the main SP campaign. 4 players work to advance the story line while 4 players control powerful bots called Seeker bots. These bots are basically security bots fitted with multiple weapons...like our lovely players. These Seeker players can activate robot makers, can call in NPC support against the players. It'll be a totally different experience from SP, which should be dark and lonely. This mode will be more lively and a greater focus on action and outwitting the other team. Before you say there's robo-anarchy, I'm thinking that this will be very different in that the seeker players will be on the team of the bots. I imagine a seeker could call 2 or 3 NPC bots to command around wherever they want. Seekers would have unlimited lives and could pick their spawns (similarly to how infected choose their spawns in L4D according to where players are in the map).

This would be much more interactive than L4D competitive mode though because it'll be a lot more tactical with the ability to set up ambushes with NPC bots. normal players could have infinite lives too with a time limit to finish the map. If the time runs out, Seekers win. If the map gets completed, Players win. Simple as that.

Input? O.o
Sol Contingency mapper, Descent 1 and 2 fan, Community Relations, and all-around nice guy.

Twitter: @homeyduh

Vertigo Fox
SolC Team

Re: The seeker bot

Post by Vertigo Fox » 27 Feb 2015, 14:14

Not for the main game, but I'd like to see this on a dedicated set of maps if we have the time and resources to do it. It does sound fun but there's also something to be said for being able to play a game entirely by yourself... too many games are going the entirely co-op route and it's really hard to just pick them up and play when you feel like it.
Sol-C Pet Cat
---------------------------------------------------------------
Isthay ignatureshay oesn'tday eallyray aysay anythingyay.

homeyduh
SolC Team

Post by homeyduh » 27 Feb 2015, 15:46

Oh no I wasn't planning on doing the main SP like L4D. The main SP is going to be cramped, lonely, dark...much like a very well known SDOF game we all love, But better lol

I was thinking this would be a MP only game type. It'll just be both cooperative and competitive at the same time on the main campaign maps. The Seeker bots could be in SP too, but as NPC bots who are generally badass. They'll seek you out and hunt you, but not as aggressively as players would.

Don't worry, I won't give any game changing ideas for the main campaign. The entire premise we have do far is awesome.
Sol Contingency mapper, Descent 1 and 2 fan, Community Relations, and all-around nice guy.

DuderSeb
SolC Development Lead

Post by DuderSeb » 27 Feb 2015, 19:51

Sounds similar to an idea we bounced around way back; of an optional SP drop-in-to-screw-up-your-day mechanic (like the latest Total War games) where people can enter your game not as Special Infect... errr... Seeker Bots, but as regular enemy bots to work against you. If killed, they'd just spawn in the next one (or can switch as they wish), and so on. Could also have the option to command other bots around them.

Although do note that this is quite the technical achievement to pull off.
Concept Art | Modeling | Texturing
Sol Contingency Steam Group

1DVD4D2UDK

Post by 1DVD4D2UDK » 28 Feb 2015, 03:24

Much of this sounds a lot like UT2K4 OnSlaught and/or Assault, which is actually one of my favorite gametypes - with various submodes dictated by objectives and elements in the maps, like controlling turrets to defend a base, or setting timed & series charges to gain access to your opponents base.
After closing your browser, it'll be with you - in back of your mind
waiting to inspire you, by what you've seen, heard, or read today
1DVD, 1DVD4D2UDK, 1DVD-DCLXVI, 1DeViLiShDuDe, @uToPLaY
http://descent-to-udk.deviantart.com http://1devilishdude.deviantart.com

Poxy
Beta Tester

Post by Poxy » 28 Feb 2015, 05:26

This feels like some major feature creep....

homeyduh
SolC Team

Post by homeyduh » 28 Feb 2015, 07:01

DuderSeb wrote:Although do note that this is quite the technical achievement to pull off.
You think it's too ambitious? I figured it would be tough, but I guess I'm more wondering if the pay off is worth the time and trouble. I suppose normal bot control would be cool too, but getting stuck in a Class A Drone is nothing compared to a Heavy Driller (excuse the reference). I was thinking of the Seeker bot so you know what you're controlling every time. Heck, I've even imagined the Seeker bot to actually look like the Umbra.

MadMax1998
Site Admin

Post by MadMax1998 » 28 Feb 2015, 12:48

I think the problem is that homey is suggesting a lot of things that we had previously discussed (i.e. two years back) when he wasn't part of the team. Most of these ideas we had either discarded or noted "for later". All the threads you're making to gauge our opinion won't get very far until the game is actually made, because many of those ideas are "on top" of the base game, and we are all worrying about making that happen first, so that's why you are not getting "HELL YEAH" responses from us devs to these.

Poxy has a valid point; we should be ambitious but adding features before having a solid product will lead to that product never being released.
Max
Sol Contingency Programming Lead
Sol Contingency Website