Compile for linux

Got a specific question or suggestion on the game? You ask, the developers answer.

Moderator: SolC Development Leads

negatratoron

Compile for linux

Post by negatratoron » 08 Jun 2015, 23:10

I just got UE4 compiled for Linux. Last I heard you don't support Linux yet, and I want to try to compile and run SC for myself. How would that sound to you guys?

Sylvester_Ink

Re: Compile for linux

Post by Sylvester_Ink » 09 Jun 2015, 02:46

From what I gather, Proving Grounds will be Windows-only, as there's no Linux support in UE3 (which is what PG is made in). However, the final SolC release will be using UE4, and the devs have stated they'll likely support Linux at that point.

So don't worry, us Linux folks will get our Descent action in due time. :D

1DVD4D2UDK

Post by 1DVD4D2UDK » 09 Jun 2015, 08:16

negatratoron wrote:I just got UE4 compiled for Linux. Last I heard you don't support Linux yet, and I want to try to compile and run SC for myself. How would that sound to you guys?
I'd actually be curious to know what the results would be, since Linux is still being considered as a viable alternative to Windows - akin to the VR microcode, since some chip manufactures are including apu enhancements directed toward Linux users.
Sylvester_Ink wrote:From what I gather, Proving Grounds will be Windows-only, as there's no Linux support in UE3 (which is what PG is made in). However, the final SolC release will be using UE4, and the devs have stated they'll likely support Linux at that point.

I was under the impression that the UE3/UDK engine works okay in Wine, albeit with a few pitfalls related to DirectX - but generally does just fine, but I may have to recheck my sources to be sure. :mrgreen:
After closing your browser, it'll be with you - in back of your mind
waiting to inspire you, by what you've seen, heard, or read today
1DVD, 1DVD4D2UDK, 1DVD-DCLXVI, 1DeViLiShDuDe, @uToPLaY
http://descent-to-udk.deviantart.com http://1devilishdude.deviantart.com

negatratoron

Post by negatratoron » 09 Jun 2015, 18:22

1DVD4D2UDK wrote:
negatratoron wrote:I just got UE4 compiled for Linux. Last I heard you don't support Linux yet, and I want to try to compile and run SC for myself. How would that sound to you guys?
I'd actually be curious to know what the results would be, since Linux is still being considered as a viable alternative to Windows - akin to the VR microcode, since some chip manufactures are including apu enhancements directed toward Linux users.
Sylvester_Ink wrote:From what I gather, Proving Grounds will be Windows-only, as there's no Linux support in UE3 (which is what PG is made in). However, the final SolC release will be using UE4, and the devs have stated they'll likely support Linux at that point.

I was under the impression that the UE3/UDK engine works okay in Wine, albeit with a few pitfalls related to DirectX - but generally does just fine, but I may have to recheck my sources to be sure. :mrgreen:
Didn't know it worked in wine :)

Yeah, I'd like to compile SolC and see what happens, as well as test it on Wine. Maybe it works in wine, natively, or both.

Sylvester_Ink

Post by Sylvester_Ink » 10 Jun 2015, 03:12

1DVD4D2UDK wrote:I was under the impression that the UE3/UDK engine works okay in Wine, albeit with a few pitfalls related to DirectX - but generally does just fine, but I may have to recheck my sources to be sure. :mrgreen:
Yeah. No. Wine was the old days, when we got the table scraps of Windows. Nowadays, there are plenty of native Linux games that there's no reason to mess around with Wine. I think I can be patient enough for a native release.

negatratoron

Post by negatratoron » 10 Jun 2015, 06:44

If the devs already have plans for getting SC to run on Linux, that's great. I'm just mentioning that I can help if they need it.

1DVD4D2UDK

Post by 1DVD4D2UDK » 10 Jun 2015, 08:13

negatratoron wrote:If the devs already have plans for getting SC to run on Linux, that's great. I'm just mentioning that I can help if they need it.
Having options for anything is cool, especially in this customization crazy time we live in! :D
After closing your browser, it'll be with you - in back of your mind
waiting to inspire you, by what you've seen, heard, or read today
1DVD, 1DVD4D2UDK, 1DVD-DCLXVI, 1DeViLiShDuDe, @uToPLaY
http://descent-to-udk.deviantart.com http://1devilishdude.deviantart.com

MadMax1998
Site Admin

Post by MadMax1998 » 10 Jun 2015, 10:03

negatratoron wrote:If the devs already have plans for getting SC to run on Linux, that's great. I'm just mentioning that I can help if they need it.
A Linux build of SolC (not Proving Grounds) is on our list of features for the crowdfunding campaign. Since none of us have Linux experience, your help would be most welcome.
Max
Sol Contingency Programming Lead
Sol Contingency Website

negatratoron

Post by negatratoron » 18 Jun 2015, 16:18

MadMax1998 wrote:
A Linux build of SolC (not Proving Grounds) is on our list of features for the crowdfunding campaign. Since none of us have Linux experience, your help would be most welcome.
Cool. I'll be here :)