Favorite Primary/Secondary weapons.

The place to reminisce about the games that inspired Sol Contingency's development.

Moderator: SolC Development Leads

Urungus
Beta Tester

Favorite Primary/Secondary weapons.

Post by Urungus » 19 Apr 2013, 02:07

Lets hear it MD's.
Not just for quick kill, but I personally love the sound that some of them make too.

I love a fully leveled quad laser for power and sound. The Earthshaker just for the sheer terror.
We're going to need a bigger boat.

Duper

Re: Favorite Primary/Secondary weapons.

Post by Duper » 20 Apr 2013, 00:23

Loved the sound of the Level 5 and level 6 super lasers and the Mercury missiles.

And of course the plasma cannon. I would love to see a really cool rendition of the plasma ball.
"The cat was Aready dead when I got there." - Curiosity

Bradburb

Post by Bradburb » 21 Apr 2013, 18:31

I always loved the feel of the Spreadfire cannon, despite how inadequate it is compared to most of the other weapons. I think maybe if it was given some sort of Plasma Cutter functionality (Dead Space), or rotated at 45 degree angles, then it might just be even more fun in Sol Contingency.
Just because I've killed people doesn't make me stupid. Typical PTMC stiff. I can imagine what his face would look like with my face buried in it... Much better.

Shroudeye

Post by Shroudeye » 21 Apr 2013, 20:04

Spreadfire is useful, till you get the Fusion cannon-Both are best effective at close quarters.

Descent weapons are balanced almost alike rock-paper-scissors. So if I tell my favorite weapon, I'd actually tell my favorite *tactic*, which would change from map to map.

However, I'd comfortably say that my *least* favorite would be EMD cannon: Sucks up energy like there's no tomorrow, and turns your wrists lazy with its tracking ability. Go hone your dogfighting instead!

Vertigo Fox
SolC Team

Post by Vertigo Fox » 22 Apr 2013, 01:46

I like EMD in multiplayer -- it's the only weapon I can say I'm really good with, apart from Mass Driver and who isn't good with Mass Driver? I'm usually among the top few on any level with EMD if I'm flying the Phoenix... I hate it in singleplayer though. I don't fly stick, my co-ordination isn't good enough, so I don't need to worry about lax wrists :D.

In D3 my favourite overall primary is Microwave, in D2 it's Phoenix and in D1 it's Plasma (which is probably my second favourite in D2, but third or fourth in D3 because the robots don't flinch as much...) In D2X-XL I love any lasers just because the light trails are most visible on lasers.
Secondaries are Smarts, Blackshark (because it sows total chaos!!! FUN!!!) and my absolute ultimate favourite Descent weapon is the Mercury Missile.

Plasma is my favourite in all three Dooms as well. And it's the same weapon -- the projectiles even look almost the same -- so it counts here!!
Sol-C Pet Cat
---------------------------------------------------------------
Isthay ignatureshay oesn'tday eallyray aysay anythingyay.

specialsymbol

Post by specialsymbol » 22 Apr 2013, 19:57

I did really like the Vulcan Cannon most. It was utterly effective and the dry sound of it is just perfect.

I also liked the Mercury Missile a lot, always good for a quick kill, especially in combination with the disorienting effects of the Gauss Cannon.
And, of course, Mega and Earthshaker Missile - they were just awesome. Another weapon I really loved was the Guided Missile, especially in multiplayer. Nothing better than that for camping ;)

Apart from the ammo using weapons I ended up most often with Quad Superlasers (long distance) or Plasma/Phoenix (dogfight). Well, and Helix - especially against quick enemies.

Duper

Post by Duper » 27 Apr 2013, 01:17

personally, one of the things I'd like to see is a 5 and 5 limit like the original for the primaries and secondaries. (I think this was discussed somewhere else?)
"The cat was Aready dead when I got there." - Curiosity

Vertigo Fox
SolC Team

Post by Vertigo Fox » 27 Apr 2013, 08:03

Only being able to carry 5 and 5 is planned, but that doesn't mean that we won't be including weapons from D2 and D3 in other ways. It doesn't mean we will either. It's a decision for much later in the game. In fact, my preference is that if we do introduce D2 or D3 weapons we do it around Saturn at the earliest. I could get out-voted on that though. If we have blacksharks or earthshakers, well... spoilers.
Sol-C Pet Cat
---------------------------------------------------------------
Isthay ignatureshay oesn'tday eallyray aysay anythingyay.

Trent Hawkins

Post by Trent Hawkins » 27 Apr 2013, 10:12

Advanced descent doesn't mean overflow descent. One reason a lot of players prefer D1 over D2 is the minimality of weapons and the technicality that introduces to multiplayer as well as the suspense and imagination it triggers in single player. A general good rule I believe to be, is that the first objective is to introduce a whole new idea with each new weapon introduce, and that's what's leads to having as few weapons as possible. I would vote in completely redisigning or introducing new weapons in the 5 and 5, though not so much making it more than that. solid entirely independent ideas for primary weapons, just like the original.

My fav D1 ones btw: Fusion and proxie.
DXX-Rebirth
cross-platform source port of Descent™ and Descent II™
testing/debugging/brainstorming guy/board moderator
Descent Rangers
open league promoting competition and fun along good sportmanship in the Descent™ series founded in '96
captain of Black Lions squadron

PigmyRhino

Post by PigmyRhino » 27 Apr 2013, 14:58

Descent 1 Favorite Weapons: Quad Laser 4's and Plasma. Homers and Megas

Descent 2 favorite weapons: Gauss and Plasma, Homers and Mercs

Yerrrrp :D
!~Your Friendly Neighborhood Rhinoceros~!
-Captain, Black Lions Squad, Descent Rangers
-Membership Council Assistant, Descent Rangers

http://www.descentrangers.com/