Favorite Primary/Secondary weapons.

The place to reminisce about the games that inspired Sol Contingency's development.

Moderator: SolC Development Leads

ShadesMaster

Re: Favorite Primary/Secondary weapons.

Post by ShadesMaster » 30 Apr 2013, 23:13

I know its been said elsewhere, but we should have an upgrade system just like with the lasers, that would change spreadshot to helix, plasma to phoenix, etc! Keep the 'D2' weapons as subsidiaries of D1's... Maybe even an inventory item that u can apply to ANY currently selected weapon to upgrade it....
Last edited by ShadesMaster on 05 May 2013, 06:07, edited 1 time in total.
- SHADESMAN in the house!!!!

Urungus
Beta Tester

Post by Urungus » 04 May 2013, 22:52

That's a pretty good idea Shades. Would save the coders time.
We're going to need a bigger boat.

ShadesMaster

Post by ShadesMaster » 05 May 2013, 06:13

Thanx hehe! Heck, maybe even a system like in Starcraft II: Heart of the Swarm where u could upgrade something into either one OR the other. The Plasma cannon can become either the Phoenix cannon OR the Omega... The Spreadshot can be subject to the Helix upgrade OR some other new upgrade that shoots the particles on bursts like a shotgun, which Descent lacks. Of course, the lasers would still work like in the original Descent, a straight upgrade tier like Unreal's own dispersion pistol.

Vertigo Fox
SolC Team

Post by Vertigo Fox » 05 May 2013, 15:59

Shroudeye already had a similar idea, so this is something we're already discussing.
We have a bunch of other options to decide between as well though. A ship-arming screen like Freespace that you get before the mission (and you can possibly bring up at certain times during the mission) was another suggestion. And there have been even more!

The problem I have with the upgrade (while it's a great idea) is that it either will mean that once you have, say, phoenix cannon, you can't ever go back to plasma cannon; or it will effectively remove the 5 and 5 limit by letting you switch between different upgrades and the base weapons at any time. If it's done any other way it becomes an entirely flavour-based mechanic, and then there are plenty of other mechanics that would work the exact same way but be less confusing to explain.
Sol-C Pet Cat
---------------------------------------------------------------
Isthay ignatureshay oesn'tday eallyray aysay anythingyay.

ShadesMaster

Post by ShadesMaster » 05 May 2013, 22:10

You make a good popint; but basically, it was a choose one or the other upgrade, without reverting back. Just my thoughts tho!

CERTAIN IDEAS

Laser (6 levels of laser, no less)
---> Quad Laser - doubles shooting payload
---> Gatling laser - one laser shot, but FAST rate of fire (hyperblaster from Q2 rate)

Vulcan Cannon:
---> Gauss Gun - slower, explosive bullets
---> xxRail Cannonxx - MASS DRIVER

SpreadFire Cannon
---> Helix Upgrade - more shots, more gradual spiral
---> Scatter Upgrade - bursts of Spread Energy, shotgun-like firing rate

Plasma Cannon
---> Phoenix Upgrade - shots bounce off walls, reused (longer life, hence the Phoenix moniker)
---> xxOmega upgradexx EMD Gun

Fusion Cannon
---> xxEMD Gunxx Omega Cannon
---> xxMass Driverxx Napalm Gun

UNSURE

??Microwave
??Magnum
Last edited by ShadesMaster on 06 May 2013, 13:53, edited 1 time in total.

Pumo

Post by Pumo » 06 May 2013, 06:28

Regarding the plasma cannon, I think the Plasma -> Phoenix -> EMD is a better approach, as all those are related (derivatives of the Plasma cannon). The Omega cannon is not that much related to the Plasma cannon.
As for the Vulcan, the Vulcan -> Gauss -> Mass Driver should be the correct upgrade scheme.

And although those are in the 'Unsure' section, the Fusion upgrades sounds pretty much ilogical to me, as goin' from an Energy weapon that fires directly from the ship's reactor (Fusion) to the Mass Driver that is a 'Mass' (matter) weapon that uses bullets as the Vulcan/Gauss, seems pretty unrelated to my eyes, lol :P
(and not to say that using the EMD as a Fusion upgrade also sounds weird, as the EMD can't be an UPgrade as it is much less powerful than the Fusion).

Just my 5 cents.

ShadesMaster

Post by ShadesMaster » 06 May 2013, 13:39

Alrighty, your corrections stand. I haven't played as much Descent 3 as the other two so sue me. ;P But my scheme above was upgrading to either one OR the other, like in Starcraft II: Heart of the Swarm where you'd evolve to normal unit into one specialty or the other. But again, it's just an idea, though an idea designed to fit all of the weapons from the series in without it being cluttered. :D

Yoshimitsu
Beta Tester

Post by Yoshimitsu » 06 May 2013, 14:27

My all time favorites are the Gauss Cannon and the Mercury Missile.

The gauss did terrific damage balanced by the fact that it pushed robots around and threw off your aim. this also gave them a chance to fire back while many other weapons paralyzed them and made them easy to kill. Also the sound it made was scary and exciting which is something I also loved about the mercury missile.

The mercury was my favorite missile because it was the only one I believed. All of the others traveled so slowly that they reminded me of NERF darts. Obviously having a homing missile that flew at mercury speed would break the game but it made them seem less advanced that modern air to air missiles carried by jets. The Pyromania mod at one point contained a crossover missile (I forget it's name) that launched at the speed of an impact mortar, tracked a target, and then shot at it like a mercury missile. While I did have fun with that one, the Descent 2 Merc is my favorite for the satisfaction of pushing the trigger and watched the thing suddenly strike a robot with a screech.

I do want to mention in response to this,
Sirius wrote:Am a fan of mercs and flashes, there are a lot of haters of the latter though so I can see it being dropped.
That I also like flash missiles a lot. They aren't as scary or dangerous as some of the others but I often used them in singleplayer to stun robots around corners and give myself a chance to get close to them. Especially that damned thief bot. I would hate to see the flash go.

Vertigo Fox
SolC Team

Post by Vertigo Fox » 06 May 2013, 14:34

Even if players can't get the flash we certainly may bring it back as, say, a weapon on a boss robot...
Sol-C Pet Cat
---------------------------------------------------------------
Isthay ignatureshay oesn'tday eallyray aysay anythingyay.

Yoshimitsu
Beta Tester

Post by Yoshimitsu » 06 May 2013, 14:48

That sounds ominous. :o