Interplay announced Descent reboot

The place to reminisce about the games that inspired Sol Contingency's development.

Moderator: SolC Development Leads

MadMax1998
Site Admin

Re: Did anyone around here knew about this?

Post by MadMax1998 » 10 Mar 2015, 19:10

No, but Wingman's announcement in the SolC discussion forum is about this game.

TBH it was the only logical reason why Interplay would C&D us. Here is a more detailed article, and here is the announcement from Interplay.

I hope you guys keep supporting us. Sad day (even though, yay, a new Descent... fuck off). :-/
Max
Sol Contingency Programming Lead
Sol Contingency Website

Pumo

Re: Interplay announced Descent reboot

Post by Pumo » 10 Mar 2015, 21:29

You can totally count with my support.

In fact I support EVERYTHING Descent related, so although Descent : Underground may not be an exception, I still got the feeling that you guys will make it better (that is, more close to the original Descent feel).

So keep goin' with the hard work, I'm pretty sure many of us Descent players will rejoyce when the first release of SolC becomes available! :D

Yoshimitsu
Beta Tester

Post by Yoshimitsu » 10 Mar 2015, 23:16

Looks like they're just making another, shallower, Miner Wars, a game that couldn't hold my interest (multiplayer focus and incoherent story). It's a pity Interplay went with that instead of SolC which looked much more like Descent. I will probably get Descent Underground at some point although I think that even Retrovirus will end up being more true to the original and I haven't even played that yet.

I imagine that SolC will continue to receive most of my Descent related attention. I can't wait to try Proving Grounds and I'm keeping an eye out for your Kickstarter.

Vertigo Fox
SolC Team

Post by Vertigo Fox » 10 Mar 2015, 23:33

Yeah it does look basically like a Miner Wars clone.
Sol-C Pet Cat
---------------------------------------------------------------
Isthay ignatureshay oesn'tday eallyray aysay anythingyay.

Guimauve

Post by Guimauve » 11 Mar 2015, 04:29

Hello everyone,

I have hoped like many other to have Descent 4 and after I have see the preview. I don't have word to describe disappointment I feel right now ...

Unlike many fan of descent games I have play with Descent 2 (never completed it !) and Descent 3 + Mercenary (Completed it god known how many times)
Many don't like Descent 3 because it was not claustophobic enough in comparaison of Descent 1 and 2. But Descent 2 causes me nausea after a few minutes.
Even SolContingency Team Screencast https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WyhK4Fbawg causes me nausea after 3 minutes. Playing a game in these
conditions is not pleasant at all ...

Anyway I wish success to SolContingecy project.

Best regards
Guimauve

homeyduh
SolC Team

Post by homeyduh » 11 Mar 2015, 04:51

TBH, the ship designs look too colorful/cartoony to be true Descent. I'm used to dark, shady, and claustrophobic. It flows more in the vein of D3, but even then, the huge cavern scene kinda was a turn off. All the "features" they have are obviously trying to appeal to CoD-type players and basically forgets what Descent was truly about. Blasting bots and blowing up reactors. I believe that MP sustains the life of a game, but shouldn't be the main selling point. SP campaigns really capture the life of a game and Descent's campaign, although simplistic and straight-forward, really made the game for most of not all of us.

Fortunately for us traditional fans, we have plenty of all that goodness planned for you guys here at SolC ;) *shameless-not-shameless SolC plug*
Sol Contingency mapper, Descent 1 and 2 fan, Community Relations, and all-around nice guy.

Twitter: @homeyduh

Kaiyena
Beta Tester
Location: US, Florida, Here, Here, Inside my house, Inside skull.

Post by Kaiyena » 11 Mar 2015, 05:04

Like what the fuck, man. "Descent: Underground". Why is it not a Descent game? Not to mention I heard there were about 6+ different ships and NONE of them happened to be a pyro. They C&D Sol Contingency just so they can continue to develop that garbage? The main idea for that game is multiplayer, and that's not what Descent is about either. Sol could have totally rebooted Descent in a BETTER way. Huge mistake.
New maps for Proving Grounds, maybe?

Pumo

Post by Pumo » 11 Mar 2015, 05:23

The developers have said both on their forums (and also on a reply of a message I sent to them) that there will be a Single-Player campaign, but that it will be made after publishing the Multiplayer or earlier if they get enough funds. They also told me that the campaign will tell the story before Descent 1 began, and that you will see the Pyro at later stages of the game.
And yeah, that there will be robots. Check this thread from his forums:

http://descendentstudios.com/community/ ... s-changes/

But it seems they want to make sure their bussines goes well by hooking new players (younger than us) to the franchise through a mode of game more conventional to this day (although that's definitely a thing I don't like very much :roll: ).

Overall, I still think that SolC will be a better spiritual sucessor to the original Descent titles.

Psion

Post by Psion » 11 Mar 2015, 07:13

Ugh