Interplay announced Descent reboot

The place to reminisce about the games that inspired Sol Contingency's development.

Moderator: SolC Development Leads

1DVD4D2UDK

Re: Interplay announced Descent reboot

Postby 1DVD4D2UDK » 11 Mar 2015, 09:01

homeyduh wrote:TBH, the ship designs look too colorful/cartoony to be true Descent. I'm used to dark, shady, and claustrophobic. It flows more in the vein of D3, but even then, the huge cavern scene kinda was a turn off. All the "features" they have are obviously trying to appeal to CoD-type players and basically forgets what Descent was truly about. Blasting bots and blowing up reactors. I believe that MP sustains the life of a game, but shouldn't be the main selling point. SP campaigns really capture the life of a game and Descent's campaign, although simplistic and straight-forward, really made the game for most of not all of us.
I'm in agreement with HomeyDuh, although I was a bit impressed with the cavern shots - especially since Descent does have some rather large dark areas, but the ships strike me as more of refit models from some underwater Sealab game.

Even if they're touting prequel to the original game like SW, which doesn't make a whole heck of a lot of sense - because the Pyro had way more appeal than their initial playtest models, but only time will tell if they can give us a semblance of competition it might even give us that extra push creativity needs sometimes. Not to mention more fans that migrate over to SolC after seeing what they have to offer. :roll:
After closing your browser, it'll be with you - in back of your mind
waiting to inspire you, by what you've seen, heard, or read today
1DVD, 1DVD4D2UDK, 1DVD-DCLXVI, 1DeViLiShDuDe, @uToPLaY
http://descent-to-udk.deviantart.com http://1devilishdude.deviantart.com
Poxy
Beta Tester

Postby Poxy » 11 Mar 2015, 10:06

I was reading about it, and apparently there's even a "Panzer Tank" you can use. Implying that there's ground combat.

Ehh, I'm sure that game will make lots of money, seeing as it's structured like a Pay To Win/Customize game.

But I'm gonna stick with Sol Contingency for now.
STealTH
Beta Tester

Postby STealTH » 11 Mar 2015, 12:10

Kaiyena wrote:Like what the fuck, man. "Descent: Underground". Why is it not a Descent game? Not to mention I heard there were about 6+ different ships and NONE of them happened to be a pyro. They C&D Sol Contingency just so they can continue to develop that garbage? The main idea for that game is multiplayer, and that's not what Descent is about either. Sol could have totally rebooted Descent in a BETTER way. Huge mistake.

I felt this way too. I wouldn't write it like that so thank you for doing that for us ;p
Vertigo Fox
SolC Team

Postby Vertigo Fox » 11 Mar 2015, 13:24

homeyduh wrote:TBH, the ship designs look too colorful/cartoony to be true Descent. I'm used to dark, shady, and claustrophobic. It flows more in the vein of D3, but even then, the huge cavern scene kinda was a turn off. All the "features" they have are obviously trying to appeal to CoD-type players and basically forgets what Descent was truly about. Blasting bots and blowing up reactors. I believe that MP sustains the life of a game, but shouldn't be the main selling point. SP campaigns really capture the life of a game and Descent's campaign, although simplistic and straight-forward, really made the game for most of not all of us.

1DVD's right, if they're targeting fanbases that we're not with new ideas that are shared between both our projects (well not completely original ideas, but ideas those fanbases haven't heard or thought of before)... ideas are a dangerous thing. A fair few of them might like our take on those ideas better. 8-)
Sol-C Pet Cat
---------------------------------------------------------------
Isthay ignatureshay oesn'tday eallyray aysay anythingyay.
Crankor

Postby Crankor » 26 Mar 2015, 00:38

I JUST came across this from the interplay site randomly and was like WTF!!!!

Yah im a little worried it's going to be too much like freespace. Def has a minerwars look to it.
and here i was about to say you guys should keep a hidden back up of your original planned release for when interplay does go out of business
Pumo

Postby Pumo » 26 Mar 2015, 01:41

I think this post from Drakona (one of the best veteran pilots of the community and mantainer of the Retro mod for Descent 1) deserves a read before jumping into conclussions and before starting to bash D:Underground: http://descendentstudios.com/community/ ... -believer/

As already said on all Descent forums and even on these SolC forums (and said by the SolC developers themselves!), we as Descent fans should be supporting BOTH projects. ;)
The more, the better, even if we may have a favorite (like SolC, for example).
Crankor

Postby Crankor » 29 Mar 2015, 13:04

Unfortunately is doesn't look like they will make their kickstarter goal. Wonder if they will simply disband and move on or find alternative ways of funding.
1DVD4D2UDK

Postby 1DVD4D2UDK » 29 Mar 2015, 20:54

Crankor wrote:Unfortunately is doesn't look like they will make their kickstarter goal. Wonder if they will simply disband and move on or find alternative ways of funding.

Maybe the brunt of the 6DoF player fan base is still waiting for
the SolC kickstarter/funding for the SP UE4 version to begin!? :D
After closing your browser, it'll be with you - in back of your mind
waiting to inspire you, by what you've seen, heard, or read today
1DVD, 1DVD4D2UDK, 1DVD-DCLXVI, 1DeViLiShDuDe, @uToPLaY
http://descent-to-udk.deviantart.com http://1devilishdude.deviantart.com
Pumo

Postby Pumo » 29 Mar 2015, 21:16

Unfortunately, It's probable that even SolC may suffer from a lack of support from pledgers in a Kickstarter campaign. :(

I see there's a lot of apathy and defensivenes on the 6DOF community, bashing everything if it's not EXACTLY as they (the players) want.
If SolC is not EXACTLY like let's say D1, it will get bashed. If it's not like D3, it will get bashed. If it's not like Forsaken it will be bashed.
And worse, if it's not like a realistic Space Sim (for the fans of that genre), it will be bashed.

I'm pretty sure you'll find the oposite of the D:U campaign, but with the same attitude: as SolC doesn't has modern features (like tech trees, MOBA style matches, etc) it will be hated by young gamers.

Let's just hope that there are enough fans like us (the SolC supporters) to fund SolC if it ever gets a KS campaign.
MadMax1998
Site Admin

Postby MadMax1998 » 29 Mar 2015, 22:47

Why so negative, Pumo?
Max
Sol Contingency Programming Lead
Sol Contingency Website

Return to “6DoF Games Discussion”