Interplay announced Descent reboot

The place to reminisce about the games that inspired Sol Contingency's development.

Moderator: SolC Development Leads

Sylvester_Ink

Re: Interplay announced Descent reboot

Post by Sylvester_Ink » 30 Mar 2015, 05:53

Pumo wrote:Unfortunately, It's probable that even SolC may suffer from a lack of support from pledgers in a Kickstarter campaign. :(

I see there's a lot of apathy and defensivenes on the 6DOF community, bashing everything if it's not EXACTLY as they (the players) want.
If SolC is not EXACTLY like let's say D1, it will get bashed. If it's not like D3, it will get bashed. If it's not like Forsaken it will be bashed.
And worse, if it's not like a realistic Space Sim (for the fans of that genre), it will be bashed.

I'm pretty sure you'll find the oposite of the D:U campaign, but with the same attitude: as SolC doesn't has modern features (like tech trees, MOBA style matches, etc) it will be hated by young gamers.

Let's just hope that there are enough fans like us (the SolC supporters) to fund SolC if it ever gets a KS campaign.
This is an interesting thought, because I've seen it brought up before. People have been clamoring for a new Quake-style game since Quake Live went casual, so when some developers tried to kickstart Reflex, which was essentially what they were asking for, it didn't get as much support as expected because its feature set didn't match the expectations of all the different players. Quake players complained that it was too much like CPM (a faster-movement style version of Quake), CPM players complained that it deviated from the CPM formula, etc. As a result, the game couldn't get funded on KS.

Fortunately, Reflex turned to Steam Greenlight, and seems to be doing well there for now. I suspect that's the same route DU will take, so it's unlikely the game will fail entirely. SolC will probably have a harder time on KS though. It won't have the help of Star Citizen fans cross-funding the game, and as Pumo stated, the lack of "new" features may limit the audience draw. But at the same time, I suspect that the funding goals will be a lot more conservative, and the being able to show and provide a more concrete gameplay example during funding (in the form of PG) will go a long way in giving a funding boost.

Do note that the Reflex and DU comparison only goes so far, however. Where Reflex differed in the minor mechanics differences, DU differs in major gameplay elements. It's as similar to Descent as Miner Wars is, and that's what turns off a lot of the community, rather than minor stuff like the number of weapons, weapon variety, afterburners, etc. That's an element that can't be overlooked.

1DVD4D2UDK

Post by 1DVD4D2UDK » 30 Mar 2015, 07:37

I think what Max and the team have said & shown here and on the YT / FB pages is testament to their effort and dedication to this project, as is all the contributions of talent and design experience for 2½ years - from the team and some of the community members, so since they say the original feel & flight mechanics has been handled and the rest is really very cool eye-candy then the majority of Descent fans will easily be able to get back into the groove so to speak! :mrgreen:

With that said, I'm pretty sure SolC will come out
looking like an underdog on game developer sites! ☺
After closing your browser, it'll be with you - in back of your mind
waiting to inspire you, by what you've seen, heard, or read today
1DVD, 1DVD4D2UDK, 1DVD-DCLXVI, 1DeViLiShDuDe, @uToPLaY
http://descent-to-udk.deviantart.com http://1devilishdude.deviantart.com

MadMax1998
Site Admin

Post by MadMax1998 » 08 Apr 2015, 14:02

With 58 hours to go, they are now at 420K. Anyone see this campaign succeed?

I wonder what happens if and after they fail.
Max
Sol Contingency Programming Lead
Sol Contingency Website

Psion

Post by Psion » 08 Apr 2015, 15:02

We release to much bigger audiences hopefully.

Vertigo Fox
SolC Team

Post by Vertigo Fox » 08 Apr 2015, 15:12

MadMax1998 wrote: I wonder what happens if and after they fail.
I think the main thing that would happen is that we would still be here. With all the implications of that you can possibly imagine.
Sol-C Pet Cat
---------------------------------------------------------------
Isthay ignatureshay oesn'tday eallyray aysay anythingyay.

Psion

Post by Psion » 08 Apr 2015, 15:31

There will also be a bunch of excited, half-screwed pilots out there waiting for someone to come along and finish the job :]

LotharBot

Post by LotharBot » 08 Apr 2015, 15:45

The critical data Kickstarted projects look at: if you're over 60% with 2 days to go, you can usually get the remaining 40% funding in the last 48 hours (that's when everyone who clicked "remind me" gets an automated e-mail from kickstarter.) See, for example, https://www.kicktraq.com/projects/reyno ... hart-daily . With 56 hours to go, this one needs just under 30%. So I see it as moderately likely to succeed.

But the messaging is still poor in certain ways. It's a more nail-biting journey than it needs to be, because so many Descent pilots are like "wtf where's the pyro? Where's the fusion? Why so much emphasis on all these different ships?"

Vertigo Fox
SolC Team

Post by Vertigo Fox » 08 Apr 2015, 15:49

Yeah I am hoping for them to make it.
...And I didn't know they weren't going to have the fusion? o_0 Unless I'm reading your post wrong.
Sol-C Pet Cat
---------------------------------------------------------------
Isthay ignatureshay oesn'tday eallyray aysay anythingyay.

LotharBot

Post by LotharBot » 08 Apr 2015, 15:59

They will have fusion, it's just not listed on the kickstarter page. Which is part of the poor messaging.

1/2Hawk
SolC Development Lead

Post by 1/2Hawk » 08 Apr 2015, 16:05

Personally, I think they kinda jumped the gun on the KS campaign by popping up out of nowhere, inadvertently in the midst of a controversy no less, and asking folks to donate to something that is still a concept. From a business standpoint, yes you need funding to secure the resources to pull a project that massive off - or be stuck working off the backs of volunteers in their spare time (like us and many tiny indie groups). But I think even another month of those updates they produce would've given the community time to fully understand what the end product would be. Seems like they wasted the first few weeks it was up on Kickstarter answering concerns and questions which may have hurt momentum. I'd like to see them be successful and am also curious what happens if they come up short. If they press ahead without a dollar bill in sight then we'll know they're die hard fans of the game just like those that have produced content for this community the last 15 yrs running.
UDK & UE4 - Visual FX (Particle Systems, Custom Materials, Lighting), Modeling, Animation/Rigging, Mapping, Coding