Interplay announced Descent reboot

The place to reminisce about the games that inspired Sol Contingency's development.

Moderator: SolC Development Leads

Sylvester_Ink

Re: Interplay announced Descent reboot

Postby Sylvester_Ink » 08 Apr 2015, 16:09

If the KS fails, they always have other alternatives. They've already gone to Steam Greenlight, and you have other funding sources, like Indiegogo, that don't necessarily have a set goal limit.
Or they may move on, and the Descent IP is sent back to the dusty archives of Interplay. Is that really a bad thing? I can think of tons of games that were "resurrected" from the annals of gaming history that really would have been better left alone.
homeyduh
SolC Team

Postby homeyduh » 08 Apr 2015, 16:27

Sylvester_Ink wrote:I can think of tons of games that were "resurrected" from the annals of gaming history that really would have been better left alone.

Looking at you Duke Nukem lol
Sol Contingency mapper, Descent 1 and 2 fan, Community Relations, and all-around nice guy.

Twitter: @homeyduh
LotharBot

Postby LotharBot » 08 Apr 2015, 16:45

1/2Hawk wrote:Personally, I think they kinda jumped the gun on the KS campaign by popping up out of nowhere, inadvertently in the midst of a controversy no less, and asking folks to donate to something that is still a concept. .... Seems like they wasted the first few weeks it was up on Kickstarter answering concerns and questions which may have hurt momentum.

I agree. They stepped into a minefield they weren't expecting.

Remember, the game was STFU originally, and they were focusing on making it look different enough from Descent to avoid Interplay/Parallax wrath. And they had a timeline for a kickstarter based on how long it was reasonable to expect their guys to work full-time without being paid. Then they ended up being approached by Interplay about the Descent name, and had to change their approach from emphasizing not-Descent to emphasizing Descent. Which comes with more expectations for finished content instead of just concept art -- but didn't come with any money to let them slide the timeline.

And I'm betting Interplay didn't mention any of the drama to them. They had no idea about the SolC C&D. They had no idea about the Interplay/Parallax rift. They had no idea how many times the Descent community has been shafted by "this is D4... just kidding" "this is a Descent-like game... without trichording" and so on. And they definitely hadn't connected with any Descent pilots. I suspect if they'd asked a few people here, a few from the DBB, and a few from Rangers to look at their first draft of the KS (and the C&D confusion wasn't contributing to mistrust), we'd have helped them get their messaging right. Instead they turned off the D1 pilots, the D2 pilots, the D3 pilots, the single player pilots, the anarchy pilots, the 1v1 pilots, the Kali pilots, the PXO pilots, and even people who only played shareware.

They were about 2 heartbeats away from being dead in the water as far as the Descent community is concerned. The fact that we're now saying things like "I am hoping for them to make it" is a testament to how far they've come (and how much better they might be doing if they'd delayed a couple weeks while making their design and presentation more Descentish.)
Vertigo Fox
SolC Team

Postby Vertigo Fox » 08 Apr 2015, 17:05

If they delayed a couple weeks I'd have been able to make a pledge.
I do wonder if Interplay was looking at STFU before they made the C&D and if that was their reason for it even if it wasn't Descendent's.

I'm still looking for an artist and once I've found them I need to figure out what the art for Circular Logic should be and pay them for commission. And then pay some websites to release the album... :D Plus finals, and work. Lots of stuff to do.
Sol-C Pet Cat
---------------------------------------------------------------
Isthay ignatureshay oesn'tday eallyray aysay anythingyay.
LotharBot

Postby LotharBot » 08 Apr 2015, 18:03

Vertigo Fox wrote:I do wonder if Interplay was looking at STFU before they made the C&D

WingMan was still at CIG and hadn't started work on STFU when the C&D was sent in October. The first info he put out about STFU was in December.
1/2Hawk
SolC Development Lead

Postby 1/2Hawk » 08 Apr 2015, 21:54

Yep - that's all been cleared up.

Given what you said is true about not knowing us, or the Parallax dispute or the community history, etc ... What I'd kinda like to know is how much research into Interplay's background did Eric do when they came a-knocking with the offer to license the IP? Cuz honestly, --not-- getting wrapped up with them is the hidden blessing in all this as far as we're concerned.

When their connections came and asked for a demo we were all pretty geeked. Knew their name, knew their games, didn't know what a nightmare their interactions with others was til more recently however. When you have major legal spats with Blizzard, Bioware, Treyarch, Obsidian, InXile, Bethesda Studios, SouthPeak and the state of California (just to name a few), clearly you cannot play nice with others! With crippling debt, an inability to produce their own games and a long trail of scorched earth deals behind them (heck 2/3rds of their wiki page outlines their issues, not their accomplishments) - there doesn't seem to be a lot of upside for the D:U team other than having the title name. I know they're super proud to have that, and honestly congrats - but will that matter when all the profits disappear down a legal black hole and they take a juicy dump on WM's team while telling them to hit the road like everybody else sometime next year? Eeek.

There's a great 3-part series on YouTube that tell's the whole story behind Interplay, but this 3rd section covers a lot of what I'm talking about here. So after watching this, ask yourself if SolC and/or D:U really needs that original IP all that badly? If D:U went back as STFU on their own story line and assets, I'd back them for sure. Because at least then I'd be confident a STFU2 would one day be in the works.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBO1zltPuiU
UDK & UE4 - Visual FX (Particle Systems, Custom Materials, Lighting), Modeling, Animation/Rigging, Mapping, Coding
Pumo

Postby Pumo » 09 Apr 2015, 03:48

And just in case there's someone here interested on supporting Descent: Underground:
The Kickstarter campagin just entered into the most tense and stressful moment, it needs its final rush right now! :o
Just 48 hours to go, be sure to pledge now if you really want to make this happen!

Also note there's a referal contest going out now, so if you gather backers you may have a chance to win an AMD 295X card!
http://descendentstudios.com/community/ ... l-contest/

Tell your friends, tell your family, tell your fiancée and even tell your dog or cat!
We need this to become a reality! :mrgreen:
LotharBot

Postby LotharBot » 09 Apr 2015, 16:15

1/2Hawk wrote:honestly, --not-- getting wrapped up with them is the hidden blessing in all this as far as we're concerned.

.... there doesn't seem to be a lot of upside for the D:U team other than having the title name.

The title is pretty big. It might even be worth dealing with Interplay over. And I say that with full knowledge that Interplay is the PTMC. But these guys seem plenty capable of handling legal issues.

Also, a new trailer is out. The positive trajectory continues: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko8EOVfY26k
homeyduh
SolC Team

Postby homeyduh » 09 Apr 2015, 17:50

I must say the trailer looks awesome considering the amount of time they've had to make it. I'm just wondering if the time would have been better spent making the flight mechanics better so that they could showcase spot-on mechanics than a pre-rendered trailer. Again, the trailer is absolutely badass and they're capitalizing well on the Descent name, but without the game mechanics to back it up, I fear they may have lost potential backers who would rather see something solid to give feedback on than something that tickles their nostalgia.
Sol Contingency mapper, Descent 1 and 2 fan, Community Relations, and all-around nice guy.

Twitter: @homeyduh
LotharBot

Postby LotharBot » 09 Apr 2015, 17:54

Well, you can only have a couple devs fiddling with physics at a time. And I wouldn't entrust that job to artists.

Their ship physics were better this video than the last one. Still not perfect, but better.

Return to “6DoF Games Discussion”