Interplay announced Descent reboot

The place to reminisce about the games that inspired Sol Contingency's development.

Moderator: SolC Development Leads

homeyduh
SolC Team

Re: Interplay announced Descent reboot

Postby homeyduh » 09 Apr 2015, 18:04

Yeah definitely, I noticed that. BTW I just pledged :D
Sol Contingency mapper, Descent 1 and 2 fan, Community Relations, and all-around nice guy.

Twitter: @homeyduh
Sylvester_Ink

Postby Sylvester_Ink » 09 Apr 2015, 20:22

Also, at this point it's not so much about catching the attention of the Descent community, since we all know about it by now. They're trying to put something together that will also appeal to the uninitiated player. In that area, sexy graphics are much more important than an accurate flight model, which takes more time to do anyway.
homeyduh
SolC Team

Postby homeyduh » 09 Apr 2015, 21:10

Now that makes sense!
Sol Contingency mapper, Descent 1 and 2 fan, Community Relations, and all-around nice guy.

Twitter: @homeyduh
LotharBot

Postby LotharBot » 09 Apr 2015, 23:49

Sylvester_Ink wrote:Also, at this point it's not so much about catching the attention of the Descent community, since we all know about it by now.

I disagree. The Descent community has been very lukewarm thus far. The original trailer was designed to appeal to Star Citizen fans, and as we all know, totally sucked for Descent fans; this one was designed to grab the attention of Descent pilots (while also appealing to casual gamers). Not to show "look, we've got perfect Descent physics", but to show things like:

- they got the scale right. It was wrong a week ago, but now a Torch-KS is half the width of a hallway.
- they're aware of using 3D elements in combat (ie, pilots are actually looking up or down sometimes; lots of rolling)
- they have a ship that looks kind of Descenty (granted, it's too flat, but still...)
- they have some historical, recognizeable Descent footage, including the 4-player D2 anarchy
- they're working on multiple weapons

I've seen a lot of Descent fans jump off the fence as a result. Lots of "yeah, maybe these guys do know what they're doing." And the kickstarter has been cruising -- it's over $500k with just a hair over 24 hours left, which means if the last day matches day 1, it'll make the goal.

It's an exciting time to be a Descent fan. We've got a chance to pull in 6000+ new pilots. We're seeing traffic on a lot of Descent sites from hundreds of suddenly-returning old pilots. I've already played a couple dozen new opponents in the last month, and it's just getting started. Even if DU eventually sucks (which I plan on not allowing), we're going to see a ton of crossover as pilots get interested and then get connected to Retro, D3, SolC, and GeoCore. And if it rocks, it'll keep bringing in new pilots for years.
Poxy
Beta Tester

Postby Poxy » 10 Apr 2015, 01:25

Lothar, the point is that we *know* about it.

Whether or not we're friendly towards it is completely different.
LotharBot

Postby LotharBot » 10 Apr 2015, 04:38

Poxy wrote:Lothar, the point is that we *know* about it.

Whether or not we're friendly towards it is completely different.

That's exactly what I'm saying -- yes, we all *know* about it, but there are a lot who weren't convinced as of this morning (including a lot with "unfriendly" opinions, and a lot with neutral opinions). The video isn't perfect, but it's a big improvement, and it shows a constant movement in the right direction. It was a video for Descent pilots, and it convinced at least some of the neutrals to support.
MadMax1998
Site Admin

Postby MadMax1998 » 10 Apr 2015, 20:59

They just hit 602K with three hours to go.
Max
Sol Contingency Programming Lead
Sol Contingency Website
youtle

Postby youtle » 11 Apr 2015, 03:11

looks like they barely made it by the skin of their teeth, i don't think they would have let it fail they've put to much too much into it already and probably dumped a bunch of money into it themselves last minute just to get over the finish line.
also i just noticed on their site another donation tracker (and store) which is only at %16 with the 600k and i assume the kickstarter was only the tip of the iceberg and they expect people cough up millions of dollars to fund this thing for however many years they intend to work on it using a similar model to star citizens post kickstarter funding.
Just seems like they are trying to ride the high profile crowdfunding wave when its already come and gone years ago.
LotharBot

Postby LotharBot » 11 Apr 2015, 03:35

The ultimate plan (which they've spoken of openly) is to sell a whole lot more games (tens or hundreds of thousands of copies, not the current ~8500) and use the money from each new stage of development to fund the next stage of development. By next January we should have the base multiplayer game and a "mini-campaign" for single player, and they're hoping for enough sales that they can keep their staff employed and their servers running. Then over the course of the next several months, build out a much bigger single player campaign (which you will NOT have to pay separately for; it's paid for by ongoing sales). And then, from the money they earn during that time, keep everyone employed while they make some new team modes (again, which you will NOT have to pay separately for), and so on. Basically, keep being profitable and keep putting out content, which you don't have to buy but which will drive new sales.

Note that they *don't* plan to fund it by making a bunch of expensive new ships like in Star Citizen, or by making you have to spend money to keep up (once you pay for the game, you should be able to play and compete without spending another penny, and without any ridiculous grinding; ship unlocks should be fairly quick.) They intend to fund it through selling more copies of the game to new players, selling cosmetic upgrades like ship skins, selling subscriptions to livestreams and other "insider" content, having pay-to-enter tournaments, etc.

I've heard WingMan say he hopes he can keep working on this game for ten years. That's probably ambitious, but I hope it happens. (Wouldn't it be awesome to have a Descent game whose developers didn't stop supporting it 6 months after release?)
jr2

Postby jr2 » 12 Apr 2015, 22:05

They probably would have had a better time of it if they had put up their new promo trailer in the beginning instead of the end. (More Descent-ish)

https://youtu.be/K06s2Yvf91E

(Apologies, I don't know how to embed YT videos here, if it is possible at all.)
FreeSpace fan? FreeSpace Source Code Project on Hard Light Productions (check out the Installer after buying FS2 (via retail disk, Steam, or GOG.com (recommended)
Descent fan? Of course you are, you're here; be sure you also know of these projects: D2X-XL | DXX-Rebirth

Return to “6DoF Games Discussion”