Please don't throw stones at me...

The place to reminisce about the games that inspired Sol Contingency's development.

Moderator: SolC Development Leads

Pumo

Please don't throw stones at me...

Post by Pumo » 18 Mar 2015, 17:26

But... I'm happy (maybe I'm a traitor) to see Descent : Underground reach $200,000 at their KS campaign!

I would say it would not be a bad idea to support this project as it may be the last oportunity we have to get a game with the Descent brand!
As already specified by the D:U developers (on their forums, on the KS comments and even corrected on their main KS page):

Yeah, it will include Single-Player and Co-op.
Yeah, it will feature D1/2 flight mechanics.
Yeah, it will have a Descent-style ship (the Torch KS, precursor of the Pyro)
Yeah, it will narrate how the PTMC and Robots came to be.
Yeah, every ship can be earned in-game without paying a cent (even if there may be an option to accelerate the acquiring by buying the ship earlier).

Nope, it won't be needed any subscription to play.
Nope, it won't be a MOBA.
Nope, it won't be pay-to-win.
Nope, micro-transactions won't be needed for crucial ship upgrades, just for small cosmetic stuff that won't alter gameplay.

Also, there will be mod support and maybe even an internal market-place for us to sell community mods (although this is just a preliminar idea).
And I would also recommend to check out their new and better video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_okozNpxTOE ;)

(And NOPE, it's not being made by Interplay, it's completely developed by Descendent Studios.
Interplay just decided to sell the name license to them, but nothing more.)
-

Yeah, Sol Contingency may be indeed better and we may like it more! but whether we like it or not, it won't have the Descent brand nor assets on it, so it won't be an official Descent title. :cry:

I think both projects can co-exist happily and perfectly and we as Descent fans can support both without problems!
So there's no better oportunity to get an official Descent game than this one, don't let their KS campaign fail, I would really LOVE to see a new Descent game on the Steam store!! 8-)

PS. I hope I won't be bashed for posting stuff about the competition here or that this thread will get locked? Hope I'm not offending max or anyone here?
As last words (lol, just in case :lol: ) I just would like to let you know that I fully support SolC and that I like it better than D:U, but still, I want to see both projects come to their fruition.

1DVD4D2UDK

Re: Please don't throw stones at me...

Post by 1DVD4D2UDK » 18 Mar 2015, 18:02

[color=#FFFFFF]Don't Shoot Messengers[/color] wrote: All good things to know, and I doubt there will be any messenger shootings today!
Just keep in mind who your real friends are, and how long they've been at it now!!
Thanks! Pumo :D
After closing your browser, it'll be with you - in back of your mind
waiting to inspire you, by what you've seen, heard, or read today
1DVD, 1DVD4D2UDK, 1DVD-DCLXVI, 1DeViLiShDuDe, @uToPLaY
http://descent-to-udk.deviantart.com http://1devilishdude.deviantart.com

Poxy
Beta Tester

Post by Poxy » 18 Mar 2015, 20:38

You sound like a dirty traitor who got paid big to advertise.

How about we hang him upside down for a few days?

DuderSeb
SolC Development Lead

Post by DuderSeb » 18 Mar 2015, 21:20

It's all good Pumo. This won't be locked, deleted, or anything like that.

I share a lot of the same sentiments you do, one thing is Descent and another is 6DoF, we can't both be Descent but we can both be 6DoFs and, as you so aptly put it, coexist. Heck, one as an "official prequel" the other as a "spiritual successor"... Why not?

Although we have to recognize that the actual meaning of those monikers will be filled by y'all's opinion of each team's respective releases.

At the end of the day we are all Descent fans and that part of me is *very* excited to see a licensed Descent game be made; especially by people with pedigree. Of course, I am weary as my gamer nads have been punched quite a few times by AAAs taking on existing licenses, but, here's to hoping that they take care of our childhood as we like to believe we are.

As for us, we're still going strong, we have plenty to prove with PG given that we don't have a flashy AAA resume nor seed capital to launch off of. Hence we sincerely hope that SolC delivers, that y'all will want more, back our greater vision for the project, and we make the game of our dreams.

Cheers to coexisting :)
Concept Art | Modeling | Texturing
Sol Contingency Steam Group

Vertigo Fox
SolC Team

Post by Vertigo Fox » 19 Mar 2015, 00:03

Yeah I agree too, and I am still really interested in D:U even though I'm a bit skeptical. Plus, they're getting lots of publicity for the idea of 6DoF, and considering that there isn't much 6DoF being made, some of that interest is going to bleed out onto us. It's already started -- we're being splattered with interest blood! :D

So I have nothing against D:U, and whether or not it succeeds, I think it's going to help Sol Contingency more than hurt it.
Sol-C Pet Cat
---------------------------------------------------------------
Isthay ignatureshay oesn'tday eallyray aysay anythingyay.

Pumo

Post by Pumo » 19 Mar 2015, 02:02

Poxy wrote:How about we hang him upside down for a few days?
So it seems I would need to prepare some paracetamol for the severe headaches I would get. :cry:

-

Good to see the reaction about my post was that positive, you SolC guys are the best!
DuderSeb wrote:Cheers to coexisting :)
Vertigo Fox wrote:So I have nothing against D:U, and whether or not it succeeds, I think it's going to help Sol Contingency more than hurt it.
Yeah, in fact it may have a positive side benefit as many people are reading/listening about SolC thanks to D:U, and now the 6DOF is getting attention and we're also getting Sublevel Zero and Geocore.

It seems the stars and planets are aligned or something for us 6DOF fans, as a lot of Descent-related stuff is going on during the latest weeks
(Even I'm getting a bit more of time to work on Pumo Mines). :)

SgtThorne
Beta Tester

Post by SgtThorne » 19 Mar 2015, 04:00

Poxy wrote:You sound like a dirty traitor who got paid big to advertise.

How about we hang him upside down for a few days?
LOL!
Running: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
Intel Core i7 4770K @ 4.20GHz Haswell - 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3
EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SSC 4GB - NVIDIA Drivers v10.18.13.5850
Asus Z87-PRO Motherboard - Onboard High Definition Audio

Poxy
Beta Tester

Post by Poxy » 19 Mar 2015, 05:22

Ok, I admit it. In a 6DOF environment, there is no down.

1DVD4D2UDK

Post by 1DVD4D2UDK » 19 Mar 2015, 07:30

[color=#6080FF]Poxy[/color] wrote:Ok, I admit it. In a 6DOF environment, there is no down.
Really! And normally simulates ZeroG! :D
[color=#6080FF]Pumo[/color] wrote:So it seems I would need to prepare some paracetamol for the severe headaches I would get. :cry:
Not likely! But if there were, wouldn't it also be part of an experience that might prepare you to be a better 6DoF pilot? :?
After closing your browser, it'll be with you - in back of your mind
waiting to inspire you, by what you've seen, heard, or read today
1DVD, 1DVD4D2UDK, 1DVD-DCLXVI, 1DeViLiShDuDe, @uToPLaY
http://descent-to-udk.deviantart.com http://1devilishdude.deviantart.com

Vertigo Fox
SolC Team

Post by Vertigo Fox » 19 Mar 2015, 12:49

Poxy wrote:Ok, I admit it. In a 6DOF environment, there is no down.
Naaah... in a 6DoF environment, every way is down. :D
Pumo wrote: It seems the stars and planets are aligned or something for us 6DOF fans, as a lot of Descent-related stuff is going on during the latest weeks
(Even I'm getting a bit more of time to work on Pumo Mines). :)
Well that's the best news. :)
Sol-C Pet Cat
---------------------------------------------------------------
Isthay ignatureshay oesn'tday eallyray aysay anythingyay.