Please don't throw stones at me...

The place to reminisce about the games that inspired Sol Contingency's development.

Moderator: SolC Development Leads

1/2Hawk
SolC Development Lead

Re: Please don't throw stones at me...

Post by 1/2Hawk » 19 Mar 2015, 18:09

According to Ender, the enemy gate is down...
UDK & UE4 - Visual FX (Particle Systems, Custom Materials, Lighting), Modeling, Animation/Rigging, Mapping, Coding

Springer
Beta Tester

Post by Springer » 31 Mar 2015, 08:52

I want the Descent IP to be proven strong and for D:U to succeed so that the name of Descent will live on. That being said... I don't see any Descent going on in ANYTHING they've shown us. The torch concept art is the only thing that makes me even think maybe they know what Descent is. All the promises they are making are just words until I see them moving in the right direction. SolC has shown that their game at least looks/feels like Descent even if the art assets are changing. Keep up the great work guys because you are making the next Descent game, in everything but name.
-Proudfoot

Crankor

Post by Crankor » 01 Apr 2015, 02:33

As already mentioned, This is the last chance we get to continue the official descent line. Tbh I don't care so much if the multiplayer isn't super great for several reasons.

For starters, it still gets this style of game noticed and ALOT of people have discovered SolC in the process. If people end up not liking the multi so much they will prefer SolC and vice versa. They will be making a singleplayer that i myself am convinced would be epic. Much more so than the multiplayer. I find it hard to believe they would do that bad of a job multiplayer even considering prob like 80% or more of the people on there forums are or were die hard descent fans and would never allow the game to get out of hand from the originals.

I personally feel the reason why d3 didn't do well enough to keep going was simply bad marketing and fighting against consoles that couldn't run it well due to controller limitations. None of the newer generation of gamers have ever heard of descent and thats really a big reason why DU is really important to the life of these kinds of games.

They haven't shown us much because i'm sure there isn't alot to show atm. They mentioned showing gameplay next week which should really help. Really there is less reason to doubt them than not. Theres more than enough discussions about their intentions for the game and peoples concerns to show that.

On the wishful thinking end theres always a slim chance they could manage to get the rights back to the remaining assets if it becomes popular enough.

Its a bit ridiculous that people keep complaining about the pay options. Even if some of the ships are able to be buyable over earning, who really gives a $^%#? Anyone who knows descent knows that the ship you fly only goes so far in making you live longer. Skill goes much further. They need to make some money off it somehow to continue it further. Costs a bit of money to run servers n such as well.

Duper

Post by Duper » 01 Apr 2015, 19:22

Let me make this plain Crankor.

Many people have been playing the latest games over the last few years (myself included). Monetization has worked its way into the financial model of most games. So, now, not only are you pay $60 or more for a game, but you buy expansion packs to the tune of $10-$20 each or you can pay ANOTHER $60 and pre-buy all expansions touted as "premium membership"..that's right.. I'm looking at you EA. You can also buy gear booster packs. And more over, you can't host our own servers, you have to rent them and EA is getting a cut from that was well. (yes I know you can host your own servers, but they don't get tracked and what you do on them does not count toward your online account so its mute to do so)

On Star Citizen, the ships are St00pid expensive to buy with cash.

So naturally, people were concerned about what they may be facing if becoming vested in DU. The Dev team was quick to respond and kudos to them for that.

As far as the project goes, I'd like to see a bit more brought to the table than early alpha and some nice trailers before tossing my money at it.
From my perspective (and this is only me) Descent is a game. Only a game. It neither supports my livelihood, nor does it add to my family. I will buy a product when it's ready. 10 years ago I would have sang a different tune, but these days, at the age 50, I have more important things to do with my life. Much more important. So call me disinterested, not a hater.

Also, I know your comment wasn't directed at me. ;) I just haven't said much until now.
"The cat was Aready dead when I got there." - Curiosity

Yoshimitsu
Beta Tester

Post by Yoshimitsu » 01 Apr 2015, 20:21

I would like to point out that even Descent 2 and Descent 3 had expansion packs. :D Obviously they were much more substantial than, say, buying a new outfit for Lara Croft but the model was there nonetheless. After all these years I still haven't played through Descent 2 Vertigo but Descent 3 Mercenary gave me almost as many hours of fun as the base game. So long as the extras sold are good in their own right and not overpriced I'm happy to see them.

Springer
Beta Tester

Post by Springer » 01 Apr 2015, 20:45

@Duper, I agree. I'm not saying I don't want D:U to be successful but they have to give me more than some promises of Descent like game play before I throw money at them. Something like 36% of all game kickstarters actually give the backers everything they promised and some don't ever produce a game AT ALL. The fact that they keep saying "AAA" and promising huge multiplayer and singleplayer story modes scares me as the scope gets bigger and bigger. I doubt they will be able to deliver on both of those things, and if they try the whole project might fail to produce anything worth playing. Add into that the dubious monetization practices and I'm less and less interested in this game. I think SolC has the better approach with the proving grounds and when/if they get the funding produce a single player component. Call me a skeptic, but I've seen people get burnt before.
-Proudfoot

Duper

Post by Duper » 01 Apr 2015, 20:50

Just a quick apology to Crankor. That post was sharper than I meant it. I have some rather strong feelings about how the gaming industry has evolved and it certainly isn't Your fault of that of DU dev team.
So, ごめんなさい! ;) and cheers man.

and Yoshimitsu, you are quite correct. I don't expect work for free. It takes time and money to build the expansion packs. I totally have no problem with that. I use it as an example of how it paved the way for where we are now.

**edited for clarity**
:mrgreen:
Last edited by Duper on 02 Apr 2015, 01:55, edited 1 time in total.

Pumo

Post by Pumo » 01 Apr 2015, 21:06

Yoshimitsu wrote:...After all these years I still haven't played through Descent 2 Vertigo ...
This will be a bit off-topic, but Yoshi: you're really missing something, specially if you enjoy Single Player as much as many of us Descenters do!
D2: Vertigo is simply the best Parallax-made mission ever made in many aspects, it's a MUST play for sure. ;)

Duper

Post by Duper » 01 Apr 2015, 21:53

Pumo wrote:
Yoshimitsu wrote:...After all these years I still haven't played through Descent 2 Vertigo ...
This will be a bit off-topic, but Yoshi: you're really missing something, specially if you enjoy Single Player as much as many of us Descenters do!
D2: Vertigo is simply the best Parallax-made mission ever made in many aspects, it's a MUST play for sure. ;)
SOOooo Ditto that!!!! holy cow, that is a must. The architecture in that expansion is amazing!

Yoshimitsu
Beta Tester

Post by Yoshimitsu » 01 Apr 2015, 22:44

I will guys believe me it's near the top of my list (and in my missions folder). I've been through the Descent 2 campaign so many times that I know it too well and I do need to play many of the other singleplayer/coop missions.

Yeah I also know there's a huge difference between what was considered an expansion pack in the 90s (basically a whole new game) and the DLC we have now which might be as little as an outfit or some ingame currency.

And Duper, you sent me this " ごめんなさい!" I'm sure it is very kindly meant but I have no idea what it says :lol: . Thanks anyway, it's the thought that counts.