Please don't throw stones at me...

The place to reminisce about the games that inspired Sol Contingency's development.

Moderator: SolC Development Leads

Duper

Re: Please don't throw stones at me...

Postby Duper » 01 Apr 2015, 22:52

Actually, It was at Crankor. I should have specified. ;)

It's "gomenasai". It's a semi-formal "I'm sorry". :)
"The cat was Aready dead when I got there." - Curiosity
LotharBot

Postby LotharBot » 01 Apr 2015, 23:07

Springer wrote:I don't see any Descent going on in ANYTHING they've shown us. The torch concept art is the only thing that makes me even think maybe they know what Descent is. All the promises they are making are just words until I see them moving in the right direction.

They're pretty early in the design process. Most of what we have is going to be words.

I've been impressed by their words thus far. WingMan was an old Kali pilot. He talks about Descent in a way that's more convincing than the way most people on most Descent forums do. But he's also stupidly busy trying to get the game into a state where they can show a little something, so he's not saying as much this week as he did last week. (He's been answering questions in half-sentences recently.)

He did show up in chat a few hours back saying they were working on putting together some actual MP gameplay footage (like, they'd worked out enough kinks to actually give it a try) as soon as he could gather the team. I'm hoping that comes out later today or tomorrow. And if the KS gets funded, Drakona and I will spend some time with the team this summer, making sure the ship flies right. I know that's just more words, but I'd like to think we've earned a bit of trust on that front.
MadMax1998
Site Admin

Postby MadMax1998 » 02 Apr 2015, 23:48

Looks like this is how far along they are.

Descent: Underground . Very First Multi-player Test

I don't want to sound like an ass, but I had my flight physics down before showing anything to the world.
Max
Sol Contingency Programming Lead
Sol Contingency Website
homeyduh
SolC Team

Postby homeyduh » 03 Apr 2015, 00:04

MadMax1998 wrote:I had my flight physics down before showing anything to the world.

Unfortunately, they are kinda pressed for time to try to get more backers to help them. It would have helped if they waited on the KickStarter until they had something more solid and less buggy to show, but it's a bit late for that now. Bottom line, they're just really trying hard to get more backers, which isn't a bad thing Since they only have 8 days left.
Sol Contingency mapper, Descent 1 and 2 fan, Community Relations, and all-around nice guy.

Twitter: @homeyduh
Poxy
Beta Tester

Postby Poxy » 03 Apr 2015, 07:12

I felt a tiny twinge of extreme rage when I saw that classic shield powerup.

It was at first a flutter of happiness, but then this feeling that they basically just fucking stole it because of legal crap suddenly bloomed into my brain. They're playing a pretty dirty game.
A 600,000 dollar dirty game. (even if it makes me want to buy it)

If SolC can't beat them and make a far superior game, I'm gonna cry so hard at the future of video games.
Springer
Beta Tester

Postby Springer » 03 Apr 2015, 13:19

MadMax1998 wrote:Looks like this is how far along they are.

Descent: Underground . Very First Multi-player Test

I don't want to sound like an ass, but I had my flight physics down before showing anything to the world.

It's true, the state of their game is poor. They really should have waited until they had something worth showing. At this point I'm sad that the Descent IP is in their hands. If the kickstarter fails (and it's looking possible) the industry and Interplay may say Descent is dead. I don't think Descent is dead, it's just that D:U isn't Descent, it's some other 6DoF game and should have stayed "STFU". It boggles my mind that Interplay has seen the SolC build and didn't sign off on you guys doing an official licensed game.
-Proudfoot
homeyduh
SolC Team

Postby homeyduh » 03 Apr 2015, 15:35

It would be ironic if DU doesn't work out and if after all this time of changing our assets to avoid conflict with the C&D, Interplay crawls to us to make a true Descent game because we show promise. I don't even know how I would react.
Sol Contingency mapper, Descent 1 and 2 fan, Community Relations, and all-around nice guy.

Twitter: @homeyduh
Pumo

Postby Pumo » 03 Apr 2015, 16:11

@poxy
Although Descendent Studios didn't stole anything, at any case they just got to be fortunate enough to use part of the Descent license.
It was all the fault of Interplay, and I think it's pretty unfair to bash DS as developers just for the nasty stuff that Interplay did with SolC.

Now, there's a difference between this early gameplay video of D:U and the ones from SolC.
When SolC showed its first video to the world, it has already some years of development behind. D:U is a project at a very early stage that just started to be developed a few months ago.

So it would be also unfair to compare the state of maturity of SolC with the state of the D:U project.

I still think that instead of showing such negativity towards D:U, we should be supporting both projects (SolC and D:U).
Last edited by Pumo on 03 Apr 2015, 16:56, edited 1 time in total.
Duper

Postby Duper » 03 Apr 2015, 16:37

Pumo, I don't think that's what Homey meant. He was prefacing to Interplay for reason's they stated.

Personally, I'd like to see DU succeed. I think perhaps that Homey is correct in his early post a couple up this page, that they may have jumped the gun a bit. Awe well. I'm sure they'll get it done one way or the other. I have no doubt they are capable and they've generated a lot of enthusiasm, so maybe going forward they'll pull it off even though it may take a bit longer. I wouldn't be surprised if they were able to enlist peripheral help from the community as well. There is always Patreon and you could launch a second campaign with a new set of goals once they get to beta.
"The cat was Aready dead when I got there." - Curiosity
Sylvester_Ink

Postby Sylvester_Ink » 03 Apr 2015, 16:38

homeyduh wrote:It would be ironic if DU doesn't work out and if after all this time of changing our assets to avoid conflict with the C&D, Interplay crawls to us to make a true Descent game because we show promise. I don't even know how I would react.

Just say no. Seriously. Descent is just a name, the Pyro is just a model. As much as we like the iconic elements, sometimes it's best to leave the past alone and move on. As long as the elements we love remain, the gameplay will live on, and that's all that really matters.

That said, I'm not going to begrudge DU for its multiplayer video. Sure they could have done more before the Kickstarter, but the whole point is to get funded in the first place. If you're an indie game developer, it's easier to get a working prototype before going to Kickstarter, which is what games like FTL did. But if you are more ambitious, more often than not, you'll start with just concepts. This is what games like Wasteland 2, Pillars of Eternity, Planetary Annihilation, Elite: Dangerous, Divinity: Original Sin, etc, all had in common. None of them had anything to show in the form of gameplay anywhere near their KS campaigns (except PA's concept mock up, which was a premade cinematic), and yet they've all been released and well received.

(But really, I'm of the opinion that indie devs should be the ones getting help from KS, not attempts at AAA games. But that's a whole other situation I could rant about for far too long.)

In any case, all that video really is is flash and marketing. They need to draw attention in their final days, and gameplay is one way to do it, however rudimentary it is. Elite Dangerous did the same thing, and if you compare their first multiplayer video to what we have now . . . well, here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5JYRyhxYhI

And Pumo, I only support projects I believe in. DU doesn't fit this just yet, but at the same time, I'm not going to trash the game. Well, maybe a little. Hold on, writing a 10 page thesis on why DU is the antichrist.

Return to “6DoF Games Discussion”