Please don't throw stones at me...

The place to reminisce about the games that inspired Sol Contingency's development.

Moderator: SolC Development Leads

LotharBot

Re: Please don't throw stones at me...

Postby LotharBot » 03 Apr 2015, 23:39

The chording looks really good in that video. But what's up with the afterburner with the crazy shake? One pulse there looks worse than what I'd get on an end-to-end clean flag run in D3 VVG in my skippy. Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to dis SolC. What I'm trying to communicate is that Descent pilots are REALLY picky about video pitches.

The DU guys' first MP demo definitely falls short, but they're also very up front about that (the vid was released as part of a livestream, and their first comments about it were about how it fell short!) And the trajectory over the last 3 weeks has been really good. I think it'll be a really good, true Descent game by the time they actually release.
Verran

Postby Verran » 04 Apr 2015, 00:13

We ran a closed beta test with the Rangers in May. Nobody really minded the afterburner shaking. Throughout that testing phase, the dev team was very receptive to player feedback and made lots of adjustments based off it. I am sure they will do the same post-public release.

LotharBot wrote:What I'm trying to communicate is that Descent pilots are REALLY picky about video pitches.

Yep, I know that. I was reciprocating to your chording commentation only. Nothing more.
MadMax1998
Site Admin

Postby MadMax1998 » 04 Apr 2015, 00:36

I think as much experience as you can have, you'll still not be able to see how a game plays and feels just from watching a video. You have to try it once it's done and then decide if it's your cup of tea, no?

As for the camera shake, it might be a little much, maybe we'll tone it down a bit.
Max
Sol Contingency Programming Lead
Sol Contingency Website
LotharBot

Postby LotharBot » 04 Apr 2015, 00:38

MadMax1998 wrote:I think as much experience as you can have, you'll still not be able to see how a game plays and feels just from watching a video.

Exactly.

And especially not from watching a very early WIP video.
Duper

Postby Duper » 04 Apr 2015, 01:19

one subtle mechanic I'd like to see in any of the games is when you turn the ship left or right, there's a slight banking as the nose comes around. it's only about a 3 degree tilt but it's a nice esthetic. It lends to the allusion you're moving something massive around in space.
"The cat was Aready dead when I got there." - Curiosity
Yoshimitsu
Beta Tester

Postby Yoshimitsu » 04 Apr 2015, 02:17

That video looks amazing Verran! Why isn't it in the New SolC Media thread? :lol:
Poxy
Beta Tester

Postby Poxy » 04 Apr 2015, 02:50

Duper is right.

Also, in Hawken, there was also a subtle noise whenever you moved left or right or up or down, as if machines were whirring to move you. Replace this with the sound of fuselage moving towards the correct thrusters and that'd be awesomesauce.
Sylvester_Ink

Postby Sylvester_Ink » 04 Apr 2015, 05:35

I'd like to critique the UI, but I'll wait until something more official is put out.
Poxy
Beta Tester

Postby Poxy » 04 Apr 2015, 05:40

I'm with Ink.
I can deal with the current HUD, but if it stays that way, I'll cry a bit.
homeyduh
SolC Team

Postby homeyduh » 04 Apr 2015, 06:50

lol you guys are funny.

I thought that the ship does bank o.o I'll check that right now

EDIT: Yeah it does do that. It's not really 3 degrees though. It's extremely subtle, but you can see it when you turn left/right. I felt like a bobble head doing that. I would do a video, but my video skills are next to none...meaning I'm so bad i shouldn't even have a recording software :P lol
Sol Contingency mapper, Descent 1 and 2 fan, Community Relations, and all-around nice guy.

Twitter: @homeyduh

Return to “6DoF Games Discussion”