Infinity: Battlescape Kickstarter

The place to reminisce about the games that inspired Sol Contingency's development.

Moderator: SolC Development Leads

SgtThorne
Beta Tester

Infinity: Battlescape Kickstarter

Post by SgtThorne » 19 Nov 2015, 03:04

So this isn't Descent--it's open-space, but the story behind the game reminded me of Sol Contingency (developing in spare time, and moving to a kickstarter). Also I firmly believe Sol Contingency should partner with them if at all possible. ;) ;) (I know the game styles are not truly compatible)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/30 ... attlescape

My post about it, along with some cool video selections, on DescentBB.net.

33 hours to go on an impressive project.
Running: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
Intel Core i7 4770K @ 4.20GHz Haswell - 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3
EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SSC 4GB - NVIDIA Drivers v10.18.13.5850
Asus Z87-PRO Motherboard - Onboard High Definition Audio

MadMax1998
Site Admin

Re: Infinity: Battlescape Kickstarter

Post by MadMax1998 » 19 Nov 2015, 12:01

Wow, they went beyond their goal! Looks like a good campaign, which emphasizes that they have a prototype (just like we do). Good news for us I guess.
Max
Sol Contingency Programming Lead
Sol Contingency Website

SgtThorne
Beta Tester

Post by SgtThorne » 20 Nov 2015, 00:39

It has been interesting to follow my second major Kickstarter. IMO these guys did some things right that D:U did wrong, and then some things they did wrong. I felt like I was being asked to back half of a project, because of the low level of the KS goal and the nature and distance of the stretch goals (felt that they needed to be included for the project to almost even interest me as a complete title). I believe that the low goal and the high stretch goals for features which might have been packaged with the game to begin with also sapped the projects momentum going into the final 48 hours. A little over 2 days from the deadline, with the goal met, and they only managed to scrounge up another 30k, and everyone is all "we made it!" or "don't worry, we will be able to stretch for the stretch goals post-KS". It was very frustrating to see that happen. I feel like this game could have made a $500-600k goal if they had just asked for more at the outset. This way the same stretch goals would have been more achievable as well.

As far as communication, D:U was all over their Kickstarter with answers, responses, changes due to feedback (new videos). i-Novae seemed kind of absent by comparison. They did do some awesome streaming, and I've enjoyed following that. I sent i-Novae a message better than 30 hours ago with regard to upping my pledge which they have yet failed to answer. There doesn't seem to be any appreciation for the different gaming backgrounds they may be catering to in the KS, and so no effort to reach out and show what the game offers to these. They seems to just kind of sit back and wait for people to appreciate the efforts they initially saw fit to make (and admittedly there is some place for this, but it's not the best way to do business when you're hoping for a $1,000,000+ release). There also seems to be an almost anti-criticism attitude by some of the regulars in the comments section, which I have seen curtail at least one bit of important feedback. KS is crunch time, victory depends on an ever clearer understanding of the battle being waged to make people understand why they should wantto support the project!

One thing i-Novae has handled well that Descendant did not, is maintaining the integrity of their tiers, and not destroying the perceived value of pledge perks in a scramble to garner more pledges. They are also going to INCREASE pricing post-KS, as they move pledging to their website, whereas Descendant ran a sale at that point, and has continued to maintain a low value in pursuit of numbers.

i-Novae had a demo product which was much more mature than Descendants was, and their timelines for Alpha and Beta are much more realistic. They are looking to show and release a polished product. ...I swear Wingman will be opening his Christmas presents the weekend after Thanksgiving. ;)

SgtThorne
Beta Tester

Post by SgtThorne » 20 Nov 2015, 03:12

I would like to correct myself--i-Novae was not absent, they were VERY active in their own forums, and very receptive to feedback. I just looked into the forums a little more, and found a lot of good discussion. Excellent communication going on there. Very good to see.

MadMax1998
Site Admin

Post by MadMax1998 » 20 Nov 2015, 11:45

Hey thanks for writing up your impressions; this definitely helps get a feel for what we should do and perhaps should avoid in our KS.
Max
Sol Contingency Programming Lead
Sol Contingency Website