Sounds

Discuss anything about the beta here that does not fit into the other subforums.

Moderator: SolC Development Leads

dangerman
Beta Tester

Sounds

Post by dangerman » 05 Nov 2015, 13:45

Excellent game!

There were a few things I would Definitely tweak to streamline the experience

When getting a weapon or power up, I wasn't sure if I was actually taking it. I felt there could have been a quick light up of the HUD or something to indicate I was taking the item, or it was already full.

More Importantly, the sound when getting a weapon or power up is not clear enough. This is a big one. In other classic games we won't mention, the sound effects for receiving power ups are clear and easy to understand what is happening. I feel a more satisfying "Crunchy" loading sound would show the player immediately that they got a new gun that is now equipped, or new missile, ect.

Maybe nit picky because the game ran great for me.

MadMax1998
Site Admin

Re: Sounds

Post by MadMax1998 » 05 Nov 2015, 13:53

There *is* a light-up effect on the HUD when you pick one up. Maybe it was too faint for you to notice? We can make it more intense if more people agree that it's not easily noticeable.

As for the pick-up sound, we tried to make them diverse so missiles would sound "clunky" and primary guns would sound "splashy". We think they are definitely audible but that doesn't mean they can't be remade. Cesar (metalgunner87), our sound designer, can say more.

That said, if you have autoswitching on pick-up enabled, you should hear your ship selecting the new weapon (assuming it's higher tier then your current one) and that also gives you a good feedback.
Max
Sol Contingency Programming Lead
Sol Contingency Website

dangerman
Beta Tester

Post by dangerman » 05 Nov 2015, 15:16

Thank you for the quick response.

Again, this game is something special, keep up the great work.

I am a bit of an audiophile, so I don't know if anyone else had this experience. If I am the minority, that is okay. I use Audio Technica headphones, so I know my setup is sound. (no pun intended)

The first impressions I had did indeed seem ambiguous when picking up new items. Maybe this was because I am not acquainted with the new sound effects (which sound great). I do still feel that the weapon collection sound could be louder. Maybe it is as simple as that. Please tell Cesar that the effects are great.

It's also no secret that I am heavily basing my experience on Descent. I feel like item collecting was less ambiguous in that game. To put it a different way, in my first match, I wasn't sure if I had picked up a gun or not. Often times, I thought I had, and backed up only to see the clippings had made it disappear and it was still there. If there is a sound to indicate that a gun was NOT picked up, or a text saying "You already have" or "x missiles are full", I missed it. That could all be my own erroneous first impressions. It can be considered a learning curve to learn what the sounds correlate to.

I can't wait to give it another go.

The music is epic. I feel it is defaulted to be too loud. I have no problem turning it down a notch.

metalgunner87
SolC Development Lead

Post by metalgunner87 » 05 Nov 2015, 15:41

Hey Dangerman, thanks for your feedback and the quick shoutout. I do believe there is a slight/small learning curve to the pickup sounds. Having said that, the pickup sounds could 1) be louder and 2) could be redone. Also the auto switch of primaries that max mentioned, (if you choose to keep that feature) counts as another indicator that you picked up a weapon which will trigger a weapon switch sfx. I will keep in mind your comment on the initial weapon pickup sound effect.

As far as music, thanks I am glad you like it and yes when we decided to choose a default level for music, we choose 4 out of 10, but only as a default. So please feel free to lower it and/or turn it off. I'll even go as far to say that even I have turned off the music before. Although when testing sfx they could be a distraction. So yes, you have full control of music levels, so make it as loud or as low as your heart desire.

Earthshaker
Beta Tester

Post by Earthshaker » 05 Nov 2015, 17:17

I spent half an hour or so in Max's server earlier, flying around and generally having a blast - for the most part I think the audio is spot on and has definitely improved a lot since August, so good job! The gatling gun especially is super satisfying and the dispersion and ion blasts are really meaty, just how they should be.

Aside from that, a few minor things sprang to my mind:

* Perhaps add a touch more bass punch to the laser firing sounds - the sound itself is great but to me it feels it doesn't have quite enough, ah, "oomph".
* The "buzz" of the Cerberus missile drones is awesome (nice doppler as you manage to dodge them too!) but could maybe do with being a bit louder, as they tend to get hidden under the missile lock alert sound.
* I sort of feel that afterburners of other nearby players could also be made a little louder. After the occasional dip into D3 multiplayer over the last few months, you quickly learn to become aware of other nearby players by the sound of them boosting around, and it's certainly more difficult to do that in SC at the moment - but I appreciate this may not necessarily be a design choice you wanted to copy.

Anyhow, take this with a pinch of salt because I've only had a very small amount of time with the beta so far. Will hopefully have another go later when a few more people are about. :)

metalgunner87
SolC Development Lead

Post by metalgunner87 » 05 Nov 2015, 17:51

Earthshaker wrote: * Perhaps add a touch more bass punch to the laser firing sounds - the sound itself is great but to me it feels it doesn't have quite enough, ah, "oomph".

Thanks for the feedback Earthshaker, i designed quite a few laser sounds before ending up with the one that is currently in the build. and my thought process was that yes, it needed more of a punch and that was implemented when we did a huge overhaul of sfx couple of months ago. but, because we have so many weapons with plenty of bottom end (e.g. Dispersion, Ion even MAC!) i wanted lasers to sound higher in the frequency range and enough to cut through all the low rumbles and low frequencies we got going on. maybe you could be changing your mind when playing with more people? who knows but letting you know this is dully noted.

Earthshaker wrote:* I sort of feel that afterburners of other nearby players could also be made a little louder. After the occasional dip into D3 multiplayer over the last few months, you quickly learn to become aware of other nearby players by the sound of them boosting around, and it's certainly more difficult to do that in SC at the moment - but I appreciate this may not necessarily be a design choice you wanted to copy.

we talked plenty about how far you should be hearing other players afterburnners and this was chosen due to adjusting and trying to establish a sense of scale of the game. maybe for the next build we can increase the attenuation of the afterburner so you can hear it a bit farther away. I also added a bit of a doppler affect as a player flies by you. i think increasing the attenuation will help. thanks for the note.

Dusty267
Beta Tester

Post by Dusty267 » 05 Nov 2015, 20:45

Ok, I just got done playing online with some other testers, and I have a lot.

First off, I think the default sound is too low. I like to have the weapon sounds up way high, I turned them all the way up, but I still desire more. Any way to do that? The music is epic however :)

Secondly, is there any way to see a whole list of buttons and their actions? I know in the email it talked about the chat keys and voice key, (T,Y,and N respectively), but in-game there is no way to see that. The only keys we get to config are flight and weapon keys, which leads me to my third thing.

Is there any way to change what key is bound to the chat? I use T to roll right, and now I can't chat...the team chat option is fine, however. And I can't remember, but is the voice chat supposed to work, or not yet? Nothing appears when I press N to suggest that it is.

That's all for this section for now! I like the game guys!

metalgunner87
SolC Development Lead

Post by metalgunner87 » 05 Nov 2015, 21:27

Dusty267 wrote: First off, I think the default sound is too low. I like to have the weapon sounds up way high, I turned them all the way up, but I still desire more. Any way to do that? The music is epic however :)

Honestly, i have to say that i am a bit impressed that you feel that the over all level of the game is low. have you tried to increase the master volume in the audio section? increase your computer volume? using any Audio Interfaces? i have mixing and balanced the game using my studio and i would have to say the game is very high in volume to the point that if it goes higher it can cause some major compression from the engine and ruin the quality. also trying not to peak the audio level of the game.

Dusty267
Beta Tester

Post by Dusty267 » 05 Nov 2015, 21:59

I'm sorry. I completely forgot I could turn my sound up on my computer....... :o My bad! Ignore my previous post :)

Whiteshark
Beta Tester

Post by Whiteshark » 06 Nov 2015, 19:11

Most of the sounds are impressing. Then there is also a problem, as I was shot from behind, I wouldn't have noticed that without the hitmarker. The enemy was using lasers which I could hardly hear to my ship, not well enough to respond to it. Also taking a hit should sound a bit more painful, if not quite as much as in d3.