Automap?

Discuss anything about the beta here that does not fit into the other subforums.

Moderator: SolC Development Leads

Shaleblade
Beta Tester

Automap?

Post by Shaleblade » 06 Nov 2015, 00:03

It'd be really handy to have a quick wireframe map at the press of a button to help new players.

Remember: being able to quickly switch into & out of it is WAY more important than it looking pretty. Ideally you can do both, but being stuck in a loading screen - even if for a few moments - during a match is excruciating.

Yoshimitsu
Beta Tester

Re: Automap?

Post by Yoshimitsu » 07 Nov 2015, 03:38

I second this. Even as an experienced 6Dof pilot I would love an automap as a tool for helping me to quickly visualize the layout of an entire level. I've always found it to be a huge help.

1/2Hawk
SolC Development Lead

Post by 1/2Hawk » 07 Nov 2015, 03:54

It completely boggles my mind how parallax accomplished this 20 years ago and I cant seem to get it to work in 2015... DERP BTW - there is a map on Neptune - has anybody spotted it yet? It shows where the good pickups are.
UDK & UE4 - Visual FX (Particle Systems, Custom Materials, Lighting), Modeling, Animation/Rigging, Mapping, Coding

Yoshimitsu
Beta Tester

Post by Yoshimitsu » 07 Nov 2015, 04:07

I'll have to go in search...

1/2Hawk
SolC Development Lead

Post by 1/2Hawk » 07 Nov 2015, 04:53

They keep tabs on what walls you spotted in game... Of course the community version of DM_Neptune for D2 only has 256 polygons the entire map! Sublevel Zero seems to have solved it for their game at least.
UDK & UE4 - Visual FX (Particle Systems, Custom Materials, Lighting), Modeling, Animation/Rigging, Mapping, Coding

Shaleblade
Beta Tester

Post by Shaleblade » 07 Nov 2015, 06:04

Well, even Sublevel Zero's level geometry isn't THAT complex - at least, not as far as I remember. Either way, I don't think having level maps restricted to what's been seen is important. When single-player comes along, then yes.

InVader
Beta Tester

Post by InVader » 07 Nov 2015, 15:43

1/2Hawk wrote:They keep tabs on what walls you spotted in game... Of course the community version of DM_Neptune for D2 only has 256 polygons the entire map! Sublevel Zero seems to have solved it for their game at least.
Yeah well, sublevel zero's map is mostly very simplistic. Their automap is basically the same map that's in-game, just without textures, foliage and minimal lighting effects (or none at all - walls are always 100% lit). Oh and messing a bit with backface culling might be needed.

1/2Hawk
SolC Development Lead

Post by 1/2Hawk » 07 Nov 2015, 21:46

Yeah - backface culling can also make it hard to tell whats going on cuz you only see two walls of a tunnel that way. I played around with wireframe meshes at one point too but those are so cluttered you cant see the layout itself. I think the best thing is hand crafting an entirely alternate mesh that's representative of the main features of the map without a ton of detail - then use a mostly transparent material with a strong wireframe outline. Maybe break it into rooms and halls and keep track of which areas you've been inside of for the visibility part of it. IDK. Guaranteed not something we can do in PG because we have the same old problem of where to render it (would have to be Flash based).

Shaleblade
Beta Tester

Post by Shaleblade » 08 Nov 2015, 21:25

I don't even think you need to keep track of what the player's seen in multiplayer. What's the point of not showing everything in a competitive setting?

MadMax1998
Site Admin

Post by MadMax1998 » 09 Nov 2015, 20:49

For PG and multiplayer, this is not gonna happen -- it is pretty complex to make an automapping system and requires us to have simplified invisible geometry (such as collision geometry) around the map which we can use to render a simple 3D model of the map.

For the full game I think it would be a shame not to have it though!
Max
Sol Contingency Programming Lead
Sol Contingency Website