Open spaces

Discuss anything about the beta here that does not fit into the other subforums.

Moderator: SolC Development Leads

andrefish
Beta Tester

Open spaces

Post by andrefish » 06 Nov 2015, 18:38

It would be awesome to have larger open spaces in the levels. I can imagine Icebreaker with a larger area, even the lava level (don't know the name).

1/2Hawk
SolC Development Lead

Re: Open spaces

Post by 1/2Hawk » 06 Nov 2015, 21:54

This needs to be handled carefully and used sparingly... It's been established from the early D1/D2 modding days that wide open spaces make for poor gameplay generally because with so many directions to fly it gets really hard to hit anything. This is why the original D levels were so cramped so you could pin bots against the walls of the tunnels - the same is true in multiplayer levels. It is a lot of fun to get out in the open and let it rip of course - it can also get frustrating too though.
UDK & UE4 - Visual FX (Particle Systems, Custom Materials, Lighting), Modeling, Animation/Rigging, Mapping, Coding

NUMBERZero
Beta Tester

Post by NUMBERZero » 06 Nov 2015, 22:15

Hawk is absolutely right. I had some thoughts on what could help with outdoors or large areas a while ago. Let me see...

Here we go
http://forum.preparefordescent.com/view ... 9145#p9145

To summarize, my idea was to have two sets of weapons: One normal set for indoors combat, one fast but weak set for outdoors combat.
It also touches on changing the way the ships fly when outdoors, like increasing forward thrust to make them fly more like fighters. It might change up the gameplay too much, I dunno.

But yeah, I'm pretty good at fighting in large spaces in Descent, but I do think that indoors should be kept nice and tight.

Dusty267
Beta Tester

Post by Dusty267 » 06 Nov 2015, 23:23

I like the tight spaces since it's more finesse flying, but I also would like to have 1 more outdoor area that's pretty large. For comparison, I liked the size of the main room in D3's Skybox multiplayer level. Enough space to circle your opponent, but still duck into a hallway if needed. The rooms in this game almost always have things on the side or a pillar of some sorts in the middle, which takes that option out. Still great fights however, would just like a little freedom in the future, (maybe).

InVader
Beta Tester

Post by InVader » 07 Nov 2015, 00:53

I completely agree with Hawke. To make outdoor/large areas a viable place to fight, we would have to have some hitscan weapons. At least 2. Or have more missiles with lock-on features (a Swarm missile would be ideal).

I already suggested making the Mag hitscan. HOWEVER making any weapon this game hitscan is a huge game changer. There's a reason the previous Descent games didn't have a single hitscan weapon (except Omega). We have slow ships, moving relatively linearly = incredibly easy targets. HOWEVER the ships have turn rate as well, so you can't just snap your reticle at someone and kill him with a loaded MAG.

This means, using hitscan weapons will rely a lot on what is called "lazy aim". You don't actively try to aim at the enemy with your mouse/joystick. You wait for him to move into your reticle and then fire (maybe do corrections with WASD alone).

Because of this and the turn rate limitaion, hitscan weapons might actually be viable in this game, without being too OP. I say it's worth a try, see whether hitscan becomes OP or not. You can always remove it from your final game.

NUMBERZero
Beta Tester

Post by NUMBERZero » 07 Nov 2015, 04:54

A fully charged MAC shot seems to be hitscan.

1/2Hawk
SolC Development Lead

Post by 1/2Hawk » 07 Nov 2015, 05:13

The MAC does not hitscan ... it does travel faster however depending upon charge time. Almost too fast for collision tests.
UDK & UE4 - Visual FX (Particle Systems, Custom Materials, Lighting), Modeling, Animation/Rigging, Mapping, Coding

Dusty267
Beta Tester

Post by Dusty267 » 07 Nov 2015, 05:14

Did not know that. I like the weapon more now.

MadMax1998
Site Admin

Post by MadMax1998 » 09 Nov 2015, 22:26

Seb had a great idea for the full game that would make the flying different if outdoors. But I'm not gonna spill it...
Max
Sol Contingency Programming Lead
Sol Contingency Website

Dusty267
Beta Tester

Post by Dusty267 » 11 Nov 2015, 04:44

Dang it Max.