[listed]It's a pretty HUD, but it needs to be more readable.

Discuss anything about the beta here that does not fit into the other subforums.

Moderator: SolC Development Leads

Shaleblade
Beta Tester

[listed]It's a pretty HUD, but it needs to be more readable.

Post by Shaleblade » 07 Nov 2015, 06:19

As it stands, SolC's HUD is very aesthetically pleasing. However, it's impossible to focus on combat and tell what your shields/energy are. You need to glance away from combat to see what you're at.

For a good example, here's a hud from the arena FPS Reflex. The large fonts and high contrast means you can be looking directly at the crosshairs and have a good idea what your HP, armor and ammo are.
Now, I get the impression that SolC's not trying to be an eSport, and that's fine. I don't expect a total HUD reorganization, but:

1: Making the numbers larger and thicker
2: Putting the ammo counts over the currently equipped weapons (instead of putting them at the bottom of the screen), and
3: Changing the missile and ammo count colors to red when empty

-would go a long way. I won't even go into the possibilities of multiple cockpit modes - these are my suggestions that give the biggest bang for your buck. Hope this helps.

andrefish
Beta Tester

Re: It's a pretty HUD, but it needs to be more readable.

Post by andrefish » 09 Nov 2015, 01:49

Yeah, the current HUD still confuses me sometimes. Looks good though.

Urungus
Beta Tester

Post by Urungus » 09 Nov 2015, 07:24

Is it possible to make the HUD scalability and perhaps transparency seperate sliders?
We're going to need a bigger boat.

MadMax1998
Site Admin

Post by MadMax1998 » 09 Nov 2015, 20:40

We have been through a lot of HUD redesigns to get around the problem of having to place so many items into a layout that is both compact and good looking. What you are suggesting makes sense from a readability standpoint, but requires another pass on the layout to make it work.
Max
Sol Contingency Programming Lead
Sol Contingency Website

Shaleblade
Beta Tester

Post by Shaleblade » 10 Nov 2015, 01:24

MadMax1998 wrote:We have been through a lot of HUD redesigns to get around the problem of having to place so many items into a layout that is both compact and good looking. What you are suggesting makes sense from a readability standpoint, but requires another pass on the layout to make it work.
I hope you can iron out a better balance between the two. At the very least, turning empty ammo reserves red shouldn't need a large-scale redesign, I should think.