Visual noise

Discuss anything about the beta here that does not fit into the other subforums.

Moderator: SolC Development Leads

Shaleblade
Beta Tester

Visual noise

Post by Shaleblade » 07 Nov 2015, 06:40

Let me say again - this game is absolute eye candy. But I can't help but find that, in some firefights, it's easy to lose track of my target amidst a lot of the particle effects, particularly the dumbfire missile blasts. I've even thought I killed my opponent when a number of dumbfire missiles exploded in close quarters because it was so large and colorful, I figured that must have been a death-explosion. It didn't help that I wasn't able to see him fly away.

I think toning down some explosion effects will help a lot, as will hitsounds and maybe an easily-recognizable death explosion sound. Maybe I just need to play a bit more to get used to it, too.

Poxy
Beta Tester

Re: Visual noise

Post by Poxy » 07 Nov 2015, 11:44

Yeah, with the dumbfires, I usually hold the fire button down, and end up missing with all of them because the screen is totally obscured.
Of course, this is really sad, because I love explosions.

Let me say again, I LOVE explosions! =D

But even so, these ones might be a bit "in the way". Transparency maybe?

Whiteshark
Beta Tester

Post by Whiteshark » 07 Nov 2015, 12:04

yeah the explosions are too smokey, but the weapon is a mess to use anyways. There are many ways of fixing it, perhaps making the explosion smaller and direct hits stronger? Currently it's just a spam tool.

InVader
Beta Tester

Post by InVader » 07 Nov 2015, 13:59

Yeah, the game could use a bit more "visual clarity".

Dusty267
Beta Tester

Post by Dusty267 » 07 Nov 2015, 15:11

Agreed with all of the above ^ I have often stopped fighting because of what Poxy said.

1/2Hawk
SolC Development Lead

Post by 1/2Hawk » 07 Nov 2015, 19:56

Given the dumbfire's high rate and radial damage - the idea behind the visual fx was actually to sometimes lose your opponent in the chaos to prevent it from being too OP. Still taking everything you guys are saying into consideration - but just saying at design time this was actually done by design.
UDK & UE4 - Visual FX (Particle Systems, Custom Materials, Lighting), Modeling, Animation/Rigging, Mapping, Coding

Dusty267
Beta Tester

Post by Dusty267 » 07 Nov 2015, 21:10

Actually that makes sense. I actually never get kills form dumbfires. (I guess I'm doing it wrong XD)

Ion
Beta Tester

Post by Ion » 08 Nov 2015, 03:50

In reality explosions are quick flashes while everything else is mostly dust and carbonizing. Efficient warheads have little to no smoke. However, the Dumbfires can be super cheaply built, as to make tons of them quickly for general purpose destruction, while the Seeker, on the other hand, uses a very efficient warhead.
aka bossrobotdad, currently "Punished Blart" in-game

Urungus
Beta Tester

Post by Urungus » 08 Nov 2015, 07:07

I agree the dumbfires have an obscuring effect. The ship explosion has a very distinct gaussian coil effect. I watch for that. If perhaps making that a bit bigger would help?
Losing my target in the effects isn't so bad for me. Can't hit the thing anyway. lol
We're going to need a bigger boat.

InVader
Beta Tester

Post by InVader » 08 Nov 2015, 08:57

1/2Hawk wrote:Given the dumbfire's high rate and radial damage - the idea behind the visual fx was actually to sometimes lose your opponent in the chaos to prevent it from being too OP. Still taking everything you guys are saying into consideration - but just saying at design time this was actually done by design.
Eh... the problem with this is that it works both ways. The one being fired at also can't see anything x)