Visual noise

Discuss anything about the beta here that does not fit into the other subforums.

Moderator: SolC Development Leads

Poxy
Beta Tester

Re: Visual noise

Postby Poxy » 08 Nov 2015, 09:56

Maybe a distortion shockwave instead of smoke? A ripple of "energy". Maybe make the damage lower, the radius larger, and double the amount of missiles, so you can do more than one "sweep", and not have to worry about direct hits, as much as just aiming at proper surfaces to cause large ripples of damage. Perhaps slow the missile down too a bit, but still allow you to fire lots of them quickly.
Urungus
Beta Tester

Postby Urungus » 08 Nov 2015, 13:23

Personally I think it's already pretty slow. The concussion shockwave is a good idea though.
How many Dumbfires can the ship hold now?
We're going to need a bigger boat.
Tamurel
Beta Tester

Postby Tamurel » 08 Nov 2015, 13:28

I think the dumbfires are pretty much fine as is. The obscuring effect isn't as much in the way for me as it is a useful function of the weapon. I love firing them in quick succesion while flying backwards in a chase, creating a smokescreen, making it easier to escape.

@Urungus The ship can currently hold 16 dumbfires.
"We are the shadow at the centre of the labyrinth"
MadMax1998
Site Admin

Postby MadMax1998 » 09 Nov 2015, 22:03

You should also watch for the kill confirmation on your HUD to see if you killed that guy!
Max
Sol Contingency Programming Lead
Sol Contingency Website
SgtThorne
Beta Tester

Postby SgtThorne » 09 Nov 2015, 23:50

Shaleblade wrote:Let me say again - this game is absolute eye candy. But I can't help but find that, in some firefights, it's easy to lose track of my target amidst a lot of the particle effects, particularly the dumbfire missile blasts. I've even thought I killed my opponent when a number of dumbfire missiles exploded in close quarters because it was so large and colorful, I figured that must have been a death-explosion. It didn't help that I wasn't able to see him fly away.

I think toning down some explosion effects will help a lot, as will hitsounds and maybe an easily-recognizable death explosion sound. Maybe I just need to play a bit more to get used to it, too.

I have played a fair bit at this point, and I have found this to be an issue. I believe the Dumbfire should absolutely stay as-is--I love the fact that an overdose of dumbfires has an obscuring effect, and overall I would have to say that I've rarely come across a missile that is so satisfying to shoot. I think the solution is to be found in differentiating the ship explosion and sound from the mayhem.

Max: I don't believe that it's advisable to be checking the top of your hud, in the heat of a confrontation, for messages. I usually do this between intense confrontations. When you're in active/close combat the 3D world in front of you (and beside, behind, ...) demands your utmost focus.

I would like to see some differentiating flash, accompanied by a distinct sound.

I plan to address it elsewhere, but the death effect is the one thing I really don't like about SolC. Molten slag is a brilliant and unique idea, but I feel that it's both not violent enough as-is, and doesn't make sense under some conditions (missile deaths). Now being hit by a full charge from the Mac cannon, or any Fusion equivalent that pushes you past your shield inventory could definitely make slag of your hull, but even those should be accompanied by quite a lot of light. Have you ever seen steel turned into liquid steel in a fraction of a second? It's pretty bright!
Running: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
Intel Core i7 4770K @ 4.20GHz Haswell - 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3
EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SSC 4GB - NVIDIA Drivers v10.18.13.5850
Asus Z87-PRO Motherboard - Onboard High Definition Audio
MadMax1998
Site Admin

Postby MadMax1998 » 10 Nov 2015, 16:55

top of your hud

The kill mesage is right under your reticle. But I can see how it might be missed.
Max
Sol Contingency Programming Lead
Sol Contingency Website

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”