Ranking system

Discuss anything about the beta here that does not fit into the other subforums.

Moderator: SolC Development Leads

Dusty267
Beta Tester

Scoreboard / Ladder

Post by Dusty267 » 06 Nov 2015, 23:36

Ok, I just had a couple ideas for the scoreboard and a ladder idea.

I liked the F7 scoreboard you could pull up in D3, which gave pings, suicides, deaths, running server time, etc. I would like to see one in Sol, because I found it really useful. Now, that could just be implemented into the scoreboard already present. It would be nice if I had more info besides kills and deaths. Suicides, ping, and maybe a couple other things would jsut be nice to have. It looks, idd, "bland" or "empty". A lot of empty space. (For new players that might be good, so maybe make it a bunch of toggles??)

Second, I think it would be sweet if we implemented a ladder system into the game. (Through Steam maybe??) New pilots can choose not to compete until they feel ready, but something like this: http://descentchampions.org/ would be cool. You can challenge people, move up, and the ladder resets every 3 months, 6 months, year, however long. (Rewards maybe for best pilot(s)? :o ) I like having that motivation to get better besides being able to beat everyone in a level.

1/2Hawk
SolC Development Lead

Re: Scoreboard / Ladder

Post by 1/2Hawk » 06 Nov 2015, 23:50

OK - don't mean any offense at all by this - just something that's made me wonder here lately since this beta section opened up. --> How the heck did we manage to get the entire D3 audience in here wanting to turn Sol C into D3?!?

Cuz if I go pull player stats for D3, it says that most days only 1 person tops is ever playing it at any given time - occasionally 2 people here and there. And for two crazy nights two weeks back they had a max of 3 players on. Further, most people (71%) who own that game played for 10 minutes and never played again. I hope we can do better than that, otherwise I just wasted a couple years of my life - LOL.

I've always seen it written as a general rule that D3 is the worst of the three titles, mostly --because-- of the open air maps / changes to the weaponry / features some of you are asking for, etc etc. Am I smokin' something or is that correct? Again, not a knock on you guys bringing up D3 again and again in every thread - I'm just a lil surprised nobody else has seemed to notice yet... :D

Carry on!
UDK & UE4 - Visual FX (Particle Systems, Custom Materials, Lighting), Modeling, Animation/Rigging, Mapping, Coding

Poxy
Beta Tester

Post by Poxy » 07 Nov 2015, 00:25

Open-air maps are NOT bad. (In moderation)
If I end up making maps for SolC, both will be open-air. Not fully underground.

As far as Descent 3 weapons go, they weren't *bad*. They just weren't balanced very well.

Sol Contingency doesn't need to be a copy of Descent anymore. Throw out the idea that SolC is supposed to be like D1, D2 OR D3.

Sol Contingency is not Descent.

You guys should do what it takes to make a *fun* game. Descent is from the 90's. It's old. Outdated.
You can use any inspiration you want to make a game that's fun and addictive, at this point. (At this point, because you have already spent years trying to make Descent. The base is solid. Good mechanics. You can go anywhere from here.)
Don't just rely on Descent. If people want to play Descent, they will go and play Descent.

If they want to play 'the next true 6DOF game', they will play Sol Contingency.

Dusty267
Beta Tester

Post by Dusty267 » 07 Nov 2015, 00:32

You guys are right. Now that I think about it. (I guess I wish D3 just got an overhaul). My bad, I will refrain from that now!

NUMBERZero
Beta Tester

Post by NUMBERZero » 07 Nov 2015, 00:41

Poxy wrote:If they want to play 'the next true 6DOF game', they will play Sol Contingency.
QFT. Man, even with the little bit that SolC is just right now, I really do feel as if it's the next step in 6DoF. I'm saying this after having played a bit of D:U too. Something about D:U just feels old like it really is hanging onto the old values (as expected because it's designed to be old school), but SolC definitely has a fresh vibe to it and needs to keep going.

1/2Hawk
SolC Development Lead

Post by 1/2Hawk » 07 Nov 2015, 01:18

Nah Dusty - I wasn't asking for restraint. That was just a curiosity of mine I've been meaning to ask about. Let's all just talk about what we'd like to see in Sol C and forget comparisons to other games is what the consensus sounds like.

D:U is in way early stages - they could surprise us all yet. They've taken on our same beta name (which was posted in this forum years ago), our hexagon spinning pickup coins and who knows what else already. Might as well study our gameplay too and follow suit. Which is fine... but kinda ironic, seeing an Interplay backed title copying -our- IP. LOL
UDK & UE4 - Visual FX (Particle Systems, Custom Materials, Lighting), Modeling, Animation/Rigging, Mapping, Coding

Yoshimitsu
Beta Tester

Post by Yoshimitsu » 07 Nov 2015, 04:05

Kinda funny you should say that Zero. I've played a fair amount of D:U as well and I'd say that SolC feels almost infinitely more like Descent (compliment intended here). SolC has trichording, proper ship movement, spherical hitboxes (at least the shield effect is a sphere), and maps that encourage me to use the same flying instincts that I have for Descent rather than madly barrel-rolling my wasp and avoiding almost all damage.

1/2Hawk
SolC Development Lead

Post by 1/2Hawk » 07 Nov 2015, 05:07

Yes ... hitbox collision is spherical. Shoot where the shield is, you score a hit. Player collision for movement unfortunately is cylindrical and cannot be altered. :/

Shadowfury333
Beta Tester

Post by Shadowfury333 » 07 Nov 2015, 05:21

While Descent 3 may not be popular now, it wasn't too hard to find several games at any time 10 years ago, and it was also the last major 6DoF game for a lot of people (myself included, Strike Vector didn't do it for me, Miner Wars is more of an MMO, and nothing recently made has the tunnel rat feel). I mean, I started with D2, but D3 was where the multiplayer was for years.

That being said, D3 is not the gold standard, so I'm in the "push the genre forward in your own way" camp.

Dusty267
Beta Tester

Post by Dusty267 » 07 Nov 2015, 05:27

Another thing about the scoreboard. It shows everyone names and two numbers. I know that the first one is kills, the second one is deaths, but there are no specifiers above the two columns. Might be useful for new pilots to see that easier.