Ranking system

Discuss anything about the beta here that does not fit into the other subforums.

Moderator: SolC Development Leads

Tamurel
Beta Tester

Ranking system

Post by Tamurel » 07 Nov 2015, 15:39

After exiting another 10 to 0 kill match, I thought to myself, hey, a ranking system wouldn't be half bad. As soon as there's enough players (AKA after proving grounds release, when millions upon millions of players will be flocking to this game, obviously), you could create player rankings based on your kill count or matches won or accuracy or something of the sort. Maximum ranking, or rank range, could then be a setting when creating a match, so that only people of the proper ranking could join the match. This way the awesome players would be fighting awesome players and the newbies would be fighting newbies, keeping the game fun for everyone. Increase of your rank could maybe be based on the current rank range you are playing in. Thoughts?
"We are the shadow at the centre of the labyrinth"

InVader
Beta Tester

Re: Ranking system

Post by InVader » 07 Nov 2015, 15:45

Tbh, I'd give this the lowest priority. These guys have plenty of other stuff to fix first. And create a good campaign. For me, Descent was always about campaign levels. A good coop campaign would be very nice for this game.

This is why I'm not really interesting in D:U. That game is basically World of Tanks... with spaceships... under ground.

ZcRaider
Beta Tester

Post by ZcRaider » 08 Nov 2015, 21:29

InVader wrote:Tbh, I'd give this the lowest priority. These guys have plenty of other stuff to fix first. And create a good campaign. For me, Descent was always about campaign levels. A good coop campaign would be very nice for this game.

This is why I'm not really interesting in D:U. That game is basically World of Tanks... with spaceships... under ground.

This ^.

Low priority as it is, if something were implemented, I would personally prefer more of a stat vs. rank system. Less competitive, but gives the same feeling of accomplishment in my opinion.

Besides, isolating the "newbies" from the "awesomers" I think would take away from a players growth. A possible side effect of a rank system imposing restrictions to the game, would be the segregation players, in a not so pleasant way. Also lot of people are coming from Coop backgrounds with games like this. Like what was brought out in Invaders post.

It's my opinion, that people generally respond better to seeing and battling a pro, vs. letting an artificial system say he is one. And that players can aspire to get as good by actually playing good pilots. Instead of being kept in a bracket of what the system deems as... lesser players... because of mere stats / rank. Stats don't always = skill, and can be taken advantage of quickly.

I have many horror stories of just that happening LOL.

My 2 cents.

Tamurel
Beta Tester

Post by Tamurel » 08 Nov 2015, 23:13

Hmmm, that's a very good point you make there. Hadn't thought of it that way.
"We are the shadow at the centre of the labyrinth"

Dusty267
Beta Tester

Post by Dusty267 » 09 Nov 2015, 01:15

I think we need a ladder or ranking system, so that we can host tournaments and such. It should be an opt-in deal, where newbies would not be ranked unless they wanted to be, and even then they can opt out if they feel like they aren't doing well. That way determined pilots can be competitive, but not-so-competitive ones can just have fun. It would provide a basis for tournaments (hint hint) ;)

STealTH
Beta Tester

Re: Scoreboard / Ladder

Post by STealTH » 09 Nov 2015, 09:09

There are various aspects from Descent that are not specific to Descent.
How many games use plasma weapons, Gauss like weapons, laser weapons.
Descent 1/2 primary weapons go from very slow, to slow, to medium x 2, to very fast; that's just to cover a balance play.
If Sol Contingency does that too, it wouldn't be a bad thing. Speed of fire is equally as important as the fire power.
Other FPS games will have weapons that escalate in power. The equivalent for us means escalating in speed too.

MadMax1998
Site Admin

Re: Scoreboard / Ladder

Post by MadMax1998 » 09 Nov 2015, 20:24

You guys have to keep in mind that Proving Grounds is still supposed to be a showoff piece, a demo, a preview of a full game. It will not have a ladder system unless it takes a day or so to code. This is a feature that is way too complex to implement at this point, and we are not here to keep adding BIG stuff to PG or we will *never* be done with it, and never start the *real* Sol Contingency. :?

This is just a friendly reminder that, while we respect, discuss and evaluate all your ideas, some are out of scope of this preview of a game. Should not stop from speaking your mind though, since some of your ideas may not end up in THIS version but may sure be in the next! :!:

As for the scoreboard, I took it right out of UTGame, the base game that our game is coded on top of (it's a cut down version of Unreal Tournament 3). We can add stuff to the scoreboard, but not all the information you ask for may actually be accessible (like ping), and it would mostly be cosmetic since most players will be fine looking at the scoreboard they see while playing, I'm thinking.
Max
Sol Contingency Programming Lead
Sol Contingency Website