[listed] Picking up items.

Discuss anything about the beta here that does not fit into the other subforums.

Moderator: SolC Development Leads

NUMBERZero
Beta Tester

Increase pickup radius for powerups

Postby NUMBERZero » 07 Nov 2015, 03:38

I've been making quick passes at pickups and it just feels a little small. This is especially apparent when you are trying to collect the powerups in the racks of the corner energy center. It breaks up the game trying to fit my ship perfectly into a rack to pick up the powerup. I keep scraping around and straight over it, it seems like, before I jimmy my way in. Even weapons in the open, it just feels like I miss a lot of stuff.
Dusty267
Beta Tester

Re: Increase pickup radius for powerups

Postby Dusty267 » 07 Nov 2015, 05:20

I agree with NUMBERZero. I am always catching myself having to go back over items. I would increase the size a little to help that. A lot too in fights, I'd try to get over a stray shield pickup, and can never get them.
1/2Hawk
SolC Development Lead

Postby 1/2Hawk » 07 Nov 2015, 05:24

Yeah - we also found this in our own testing. It appears as though the ship collision does not interact with the pickup item collision properly. The pickups have a rather large collision radius (about 1.5x larger than what you can see) already. Seems as though the root / origin point of the player has to go thru that for it to work. Max mentioned it might also be related to ping I think at one point.

Can we get some of you guys to help test some theories here? Given the camera is slightly higher than the origin of the ship, I wonder if you hit it more consistently flying a bit over top of a pickup than underneath it. Also - if a second player can watch as the first slowly inches up ... when does the ship actually get say a health orb? When the shield hits it? When its fully inside a player? Or somewhere in-between? I swing and miss all the time too. :/
UDK & UE4 - Visual FX (Particle Systems, Custom Materials, Lighting), Modeling, Animation/Rigging, Mapping, Coding
Wookie
Beta Tester

Postby Wookie » 07 Nov 2015, 14:26

i have a hard time actually seeing rockets in the map. i guess if the lighting of the items could be turned up that could help make them more visible. maybe add a small amount of glow to the items?
if you take a screen shot with ammo infront or near you, it wont really catch your eye thats its there.

some shield and energy power ups have the same problem - although that might me just how the level is intended to be - some of these power ups dont "stand out" enough
Urungus
Beta Tester

[listed] Picking up items.

Postby Urungus » 08 Nov 2015, 23:15

I feel like I have to have pickup items up my ships proverbial nose in order to actually have them picked up.

Anyone else?
We're going to need a bigger boat.
STealTH
Beta Tester

Re: Picking up items.

Postby STealTH » 09 Nov 2015, 08:39

Lol, same. It's been brought up in another 2 threads I think.
MadMax1998
Site Admin

Re: Picking up items.

Postby MadMax1998 » 09 Nov 2015, 20:37

We are going to increase the bounding boxes of the pickups.
Max
Sol Contingency Programming Lead
Sol Contingency Website
MadMax1998
Site Admin

Re: [listed] Picking up items.

Postby MadMax1998 » 10 Nov 2015, 17:10

Merged this thread with another:

Given the camera is slightly higher than the origin of the ship

The camera is *right* at the origin of the ship.

As I said, we can try increasing the bounding box of pickups a bit more, but as Hawk also mentioned, ping does play a role. If you have high lag, you will not seem to pick up something as you fly over it but WILL in fact pick iz up (sound and all) after the lag time is through. So you'd get a delayed pickup instead of an instant one.
Max
Sol Contingency Programming Lead
Sol Contingency Website

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”