rework big MAC particles

Discuss anything about the beta here that does not fit into the other subforums.

Moderator: SolC Development Leads

Whiteshark
Beta Tester

rework big MAC particles

Postby Whiteshark » 12 Nov 2015, 16:43

I find it hard to see whether my MAC shots have hit or are going to hit, because the spearhead does not come up from the tail. I also think the weapon is the least brutal looking one at the moment, since it's just two thin streams of blue laser streams (and a bit too similar to lasers!). It doesn't look powerful like that! Now I've understood you want it to look something like the laguna blade from dota 2 Image while the heat comes from friction and not resistance. The streams are not quite "violent" enough to represent heat, I think.Why don't you add some flash? Is it a limit of the engine that we don't see flashy explosions in the game? Finally the head of the spear, whether it's a bullet or energy, it should be more notable with some different color or color intensity to the stream.
1/2Hawk
SolC Development Lead

Re: rework big MAC particles

Postby 1/2Hawk » 13 Nov 2015, 17:56

No limitation to color in this case. Had a bright blue streak in it originally but we cut it way down to differentiate from other blue weaponry. Something we can look at. The tip is a giant gold colored shell currently - just travels too fast to see well. Esp your own (end on view) - you can see it better when others shoot. The thing is already like 8 ft long lol.
UDK & UE4 - Visual FX (Particle Systems, Custom Materials, Lighting), Modeling, Animation/Rigging, Mapping, Coding
Whiteshark
Beta Tester

Postby Whiteshark » 13 Nov 2015, 18:42

Add some colour to the stream. D3 had this fantastic idea of making the screen fade to black and flash with some actions on the map. SolC should look like a proper nightclub / disco when it's finished. :D
DuderSeb
SolC Development Lead

Postby DuderSeb » 17 Nov 2015, 23:05

I made a small tweak to the FX of the MAC in R3 as a quick try of an idea I had very similar to your OP, Shark :) might try some more after reading this.
Concept Art | Modeling | Texturing
Sol Contingency Steam Group
Urungus
Beta Tester

Postby Urungus » 21 Nov 2015, 07:06

Would it be possible to add a spiral effect? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SX1xGOdmIb4
We're going to need a bigger boat.

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”