Server options / joystick rotation speed

Discuss anything about the beta here that does not fit into the other subforums.

Moderator: SolC Development Leads

Yoshimitsu
Beta Tester

Re: Server options / joystick rotation speed

Post by Yoshimitsu » 03 Dec 2015, 20:02

I'm not completely sure we're on the same page Max. The system I'm hoping for is one in which each individual point on a joystick's axis corresponds to a specific turn rate with 0% input leaving you stationary and 100% input turning you at the game's maximum rate. It's the points in between that interest me, for instance; 10% input could yield 5% turn rate while 90% input might be 90% turn rate. My goal is to get the stick area around the center of the axis to be less sensitive than the outer perimeter, thus allowing finer aiming while also allowing quick turns.

Poxy
Beta Tester

Post by Poxy » 03 Dec 2015, 20:23

Yoshimitsu, you might need to just fiddle with your joystick settings.

https://aegir.tech/6Itd That's my joystick software. If your joystick is too old, it might not have those sorts of options. Which would be a grand pity.

Yoshimitsu
Beta Tester

Post by Yoshimitsu » 03 Dec 2015, 21:04

Thanks Poxy that is in fact exactly what I want. Unfortunately My stick is quite old (1996) so it has nothing like that. On the other hand I am running it through an xbox360 wrapper and you've now made me wonder if the wrapper might have those kinds of options. I'll check it out when I get home and report back.

I still think that it would be good to have those options in SolC itself if it's possible. That way people using all different kinds of controllers would have the ability to tune their performance.

MadMax1998
Site Admin

Post by MadMax1998 » 03 Dec 2015, 22:14

Yes, I see what you mean and that also makes sense, and is in fact easier to do than the acceleration curve I wanted to implement.
Max
Sol Contingency Programming Lead
Sol Contingency Website

Yoshimitsu
Beta Tester

Post by Yoshimitsu » 04 Dec 2015, 02:03

It turns out that the x360ce wrapper I've been using for my joysticks actually has the exact settings I want.
Unfortunately the adjustment is fairly rudimentary and it doesn't work for trigger axis (meaning that I can't adjust my banking) so native SolC settings would still be most welcome.

I've been playing with the settings and much to my surprise I actually seem to do a bit better with the curve opposite to what I thought I should have. I expected to have better aim if the ramp started out slow and built to full speed near the end. This made the motion feel jerky though and continually threw me off. I flipped it instead and increased the sensitivity near stick center with an immediate improvement of my flying. I don't know if the wrapper is fighting the game or if my instincts were just backward, but for anyone using the wrapper, there is some control you can give yourself beyond what is present in R3.

Poxy
Beta Tester

Post by Poxy » 04 Dec 2015, 07:26

But does it work better? I've always had a bit of trouble actually getting that sort of thing to work properly, and giving me REAL RESULTS, as far as aiming and flying goes.
Does it actually improve your score?

Yoshimitsu
Beta Tester

Post by Yoshimitsu » 04 Dec 2015, 21:26

That's a good question Poxy, and one that I can't answer yet. I'll need to play a lot more and try various settings first before I know. It definitely does change the feel a lot and as far as I'm concerned more options are always better.