Default sensitivity

Post your feedback on the feel and balancing of the game here.

Moderator: SolC Development Leads

dangerman
Beta Tester

Default sensitivity

Post by dangerman » 05 Nov 2015, 13:37

I feel as though the mouse sensitivity is too low by default.

MadMax1998
Site Admin

Re: Default sensitivity

Post by MadMax1998 » 05 Nov 2015, 13:44

Okay, we'll need more than one person to confirm this, because mice are very different and my mouse might be more sensitive than yours. Can you set up the sensitivity to your liking in the menu or do you think the range the menu gives you is not enough?
Max
Sol Contingency Programming Lead
Sol Contingency Website

dangerman
Beta Tester

Post by dangerman » 05 Nov 2015, 15:24

Again, thanks for the quick response. I wrote these topics quickly while they were fresh.

The mouse sensitivity range is certainly enough if I tweak them. I was just curious if anyone else felt "out of box" should have a snappier mouse response. Again, if I am the minority, take no mind. I had a great first match. (and if this not the type of feedback you need, let me know! first beta test for me.)

MadMax1998
Site Admin

Post by MadMax1998 » 05 Nov 2015, 15:26

It's all fine, all the feedback we can get will be reviewed :)
Max
Sol Contingency Website

ZcRaider
Beta Tester

Post by ZcRaider » 05 Nov 2015, 16:58

Seems ok for me.

I have a slightly different observation.

I did noticed that the names for the Mouse X/Y Sensitivity were a bit complex, hard to jump right in and customize at first. But then I got the hang of it, and I personally love the customization options.

However, some newer players might not understand terms like "Yaw" and equate them to "Turn" for mouse movements.

I know to more experienced 6DOF players, this is a no brainer. But, I figured for some of the new players, they might have difficultly with this wording. Maybe add a comment / tip for each setting? Like hover the mouse over it, and it gives a quick tip?

What you guys think?

MadMax1998
Site Admin

Post by MadMax1998 » 05 Nov 2015, 17:00

Doesn't the UI say "yaw left/right"? (can't check right now)
Max
Sol Contingency Website

Dusty267
Beta Tester

Post by Dusty267 » 05 Nov 2015, 17:02

I agree with ZcRaider. In terms of new pilots to 6DoF, might be confusing. With me it was my joy. When I was configuring it, the axis that it displayed were "Right X" and "Left Y", etc. I was a little confused at first. New pilots with joys will probably have no idea.

MadMax1998
Site Admin

Post by MadMax1998 » 05 Nov 2015, 17:03

As I posted in the Thrustmaster joystick thread, "left-x" and "right-x" refers to XBox controller's left and right sticks, x-axis per stick. But I'll see if these axis names can be changed on the UI.
Max
Sol Contingency Website

Dusty267
Beta Tester

Post by Dusty267 » 05 Nov 2015, 17:04

Ok, that makes a lot of sense. Just coming from someone who doesn't own a XBox controller, (and new pilots would not know what you told me), it would be confusing. Thanks for looking into it!

ZcRaider
Beta Tester

Post by ZcRaider » 05 Nov 2015, 18:37

MadMax1998 wrote:Doesn't the UI say "yaw left/right"? (can't check right now)
Well yea it does. But basically, I was just suggesting that, in later builds, maybe add a little auto description, when you hover the mouse over those fields, or whatever is good. And it would basically give a brief description of what that setting does.

Like: "This setting makes the ship's nose turn left or right" and "This setting makes the ship's nose move up or down." etc etc.

Some really new people my might not understand that "yaw left/right" means the sensitivity and also binding, for when you turn the mouse to the left or right. Same for Joy settings.

And if anyone is not familiar with Mouse X / Y as a binding, they might get confused with the Technical wording. Maybe give a description as "Mouse UP or Down / Mouse Left or Right"

That's all really. I think the menu as is, very well designed, and perfectly tuned for customization. Just saying, to maybe give some tool tips or something, to "spoon feed" for newbies. And maybe add a setting to turn these "Tips" on and off. That way veterans won't be annoyed after the first installation.

Case in point: I know my younger Nephews always had a hard time setting up Pilot controls for similar games. Especially the Descent Series.

I always have to set it up for them LOL, as well as few of my friends of varying ages.