My thoughts on weapons and shiz

Post your feedback on the feel and balancing of the game here.

Moderator: SolC Development Leads

Kaiyena
Beta Tester
Location: US, Florida, Here, Here, Inside my house, Inside skull.

My thoughts on weapons and shiz

Post by Kaiyena » 05 Nov 2015, 22:14

I had a lot of fun fighting about 5-7 other people in Vertigo, Neptune, and Icebreaker. Nothing wrong with the maps or, flight feel/stuffs, hit detection, secondary weapons, blah. The thing I was pretty much irritated with was I was mainly getting kills with the lasers and gatling weapons. The dispersion cannon is WAY too underpowered, I can't get a kill with it. It's like when I pick it up along with extra ammo I run out of shots(hitting someone with every shot) trying to kill somebody. Just give it some more effectiveness at a slightly longer range. The ion cannon... Oh lord... That weapon is straight up GARBAGE! I couldn't grasp the intention of it or what it does. But how fast it sucks you of your energy is too extreme. On another note, the energy weapons use too much energy. For example, lasers. -1 energy per shot? Needs to be more like 2-3 shots. But lastly, the MAC cannon was alright. I wish the cooldown wasn't so long otherwise I wouldn't have a problem with it. But yeah, the weapons are the thing that boggles my mind..

Ups off the top of my head:
- The maps are laid out and designed pretty well.
- The flight physics are well done.
- No problems with visiblity/things(anything at all) getting in the way or being annoying.

Downs that kind of catch my attention:
- Energy weapons draw to much energy.
- Afterburner should last ever so slightly longer and cool down slightly faster.
- Material weapons(Gatling and Dispersion) don't get enough ammo.
- Chat system could be better.(I know it will be later since this game needs more to be done) :P

But that's all I can currently think of. You guys have done a good job, and I know you will make the game even better in the very near future! :)
Last edited by Kaiyena on 08 Nov 2015, 08:59, edited 5 times in total.
New maps for Proving Grounds, maybe?

Dusty267
Beta Tester

Re: My view on the game

Post by Dusty267 » 05 Nov 2015, 22:19

Kaiyena is right. The Ion cannon sucks. I get the whole "sticks to things and does damage after it explodes on the wall", but it's not practical. And the Dispersion gun....I agree with him. Gatling I thought had enough ammo. What bugs me is that we can't go above 100 energy. We can go above 100 shields and have it degrade (which is pretty nifty). Try the same with energy? I would say either do what Kaiyena said and make them use less energy, or give us something like 50 more energy. (Or however much would counter that). Some fights last a while and it's annoying to have to try to navigate to energy AND fight 1-2 people at the same time.

Poxy
Beta Tester

Re: My view on the game (weapon/ammo balancing)

Post by Poxy » 05 Nov 2015, 23:44

Personally, I like the Ion Cannon, or at least the idea of it.

I would prefer it more, if instead of sticking, it'd bounce a bit, and instead of heading downwards, as if gravity was pulling it, it'd be nice if it went downwards in relation to the shooter, or just bounced weakly off surfaces, ignoring gravity. Or even cooler: The bounce would direct itself at an enemy player, giving it a weak homing aspect, and then it explodes. I'm not talking homing missile stuff, I just mean the first bounce of the projectile would head towards an enemy, even if it doesn't actually reach the enemy.

I don't mind at all that weapons take up lots of energy, although I would like it if energy was automatically recharged very very slowly. Perhaps the same to shields. Auto-recharge, but only up to 20 or so.
That means you can't just hold the button down and take out loads of enemies, but it also means you don't need to go scout around for specific ammo for your favored gun, and get killed while you're defenseless.

Being defenseless just because you're on a kill streak seems like it punishes skilled players who don't die.

InVader
Beta Tester

Post by InVader » 06 Nov 2015, 00:28

I'd rather not have health or ammo regen. Currently the game spawns a lot of shield pick-ups. You can actually snowball out of control with it (on Vertigo and Icebreaker in particular) IF you learn the map and have some pre-planned paths to take all the shield pick-ups. Once you learned the good paths, you easily overcharge yourself to 200 shield.

I'd really prefer it the shields stayed this way, and if future maps would keep this philosophy. There are no such things are "armor" pick-ups in this game, like in UT or Quake, so you have to maintain a constant income of shield-pickups as you traverse the map. It is really interesting and gives the game soooo much more depth.

So far this is probably the best feature this game has. Do not remove at any cost.

As for the Dispersion, I'd prefer if it had even less ammo (like 250). You already have a maximum of 40 shots with it and there's plenty of ammo for it on all maps. It's an incredibly deadly weapon. It's a close range weapon, don't try to shoot people from across a whole corridor with it!!! :D Ya'll gotta learn how to use it :P 2 accurate shots from close range and just DESTROYS everything.

I also disagree on the freshly spawned player being defenseless. You DO have spawn protection and the default Quad Laser is a perfectly viable weapon right now. It has rapid-fire as well. You don't need anything else, other than rockets. + chances are you damaged the enemy before he killed you, so he actually has less Shields than you. + you can still steal shield pickups from him and overcharge yourself. (git gud :P )
Last edited by InVader on 06 Nov 2015, 01:18, edited 1 time in total.

Ion
Beta Tester

Post by Ion » 06 Nov 2015, 00:38

Energy usage imo:
If there IS a "super-laser" weapon planned, Lasers should take up 0.10 for a single projectile (0.40 for quad).
If there isn't one, then make it 0.15 (0.60 for quad).
The Ion launcher should take up one energy and do less damage.

From the get-go it feels like the MAC needs some changes. A zero-charge shot takes up 11 energy right off the bat, while a charged shot takes up 20. Dryfire MAC should be about 2 energy. I also think it should take up 10 ammo per shot, making it an actual railgun. If that's the case then a full charge should only take up 10 to 16 energy.

Comments about the Ion gun moved here

The Dispersion is definitely underpowered. Here:
First, change the enbloc to four shells, speed up the fire rate and reload, tighten the spread a great deal, and make it cost 8 boolits per shell, with eight projectiles (like standard 00 buck inna 12GA).
Secondly, use the current fire-mode button for the Lasers, go ahead and make it usable on other guns. What we could have is a secondary fire that fires all four shells, releasing only 27 boolits, but with amped damage for each one, along with only costing 30 boolits (2 less than four rapid shells - discount!). It has a much wider spread but can clear rooms of small enemies and at point-blank will undo anything short of a miniboss (but if it got hit, it would send them reeling). It also has more recoil to release and a longer reload time.
We'll call these "single" and "super" d( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)b.

Dumbfires should have a smaller blast radius if they're going to fire like a Hydra 70. The Seeker needs a larger blast effect to fit it's actual current radius. Or... make it do more damage with a smaller radius, kind of like an HDEP (fragment + shaped charge; fragments shred infantry while the charge goes through armor), while the DFs are generic flying bombs yet generally make life Living Heck for anyone within the volley's cone of fire. Less damage, but moderate blasts and lots of ammo.

Oh oh, give the Cerberus canister a bomb that either explodes on an enemy (releasing the drones everywhere), or acts as a proximity mine on walls, but it detonates after a while, and doesn't do that much damage (less than a DF).

Haven't given the Atlas much of a go yet.

Please note these are just mechanics notes and not damage numbers. IDK about those just yet.
aka bossrobotdad, currently "Punished Blart" in-game

Dusty267
Beta Tester

Post by Dusty267 » 06 Nov 2015, 05:22

I don't mind at all that weapons take up lots of energy, although I would like it if energy was automatically recharged very very slowly. Perhaps the same to shields. Auto-recharge, but only up to 20 or so.
That means you can't just hold the button down and take out loads of enemies, but it also means you don't need to go scout around for specific ammo for your favored gun, and get killed while you're defenseless.

I like the idea of the recharge. Not a lot (20 is pretty good, maybe 15). It enables small skirmishes for you, and if you screw up and fail to kill your intended, you gotta find more energy fast or run for a while till it recharges. Not on the shields though, since you can go above 100.

InVader
Beta Tester

Post by InVader » 07 Nov 2015, 01:12

Dusty267 wrote:

I like the idea of the recharge. Not a lot (20 is pretty good, maybe 15). It enables small skirmishes for you, and if you screw up and fail to kill your intended, you gotta find more energy fast or run for a while till it recharges. Not on the shields though, since you can go above 100.
Well, the enemies you kill also always drop a Shield for you, so there's the 20-15 recharge you wanted...

Dusty267
Beta Tester

Post by Dusty267 » 07 Nov 2015, 01:21

True.....touche InVader