"Fixing" the Ion Cannon and others ideas

Post your feedback on the feel and balancing of the game here.

Moderator: SolC Development Leads

1/2Hawk
SolC Development Lead

Re: "Fixing" the Ion Cannon and others ideas

Post by 1/2Hawk » 06 Nov 2015, 22:40

I think if we go a prox bomb route, you should also be able to shoot at them to destroy them prematurely. Imagine 8+ players in Vertigo with prox bomb weaponry - you'd never be able to fly anywhere LOL.
UDK & UE4 - Visual FX (Particle Systems, Custom Materials, Lighting), Modeling, Animation/Rigging, Mapping, Coding

NUMBERZero
Beta Tester

Post by NUMBERZero » 06 Nov 2015, 22:43

Hah, yeah, shooting them prematurely would be good. I would love to watch a player fly by their own ion bombs and have someone shoot them as he flew by.

InVader
Beta Tester

Post by InVader » 07 Nov 2015, 01:10

The Microwave gun is rather interesting. It was one of the more useful guns against bots on the higher difficulties, because you could keep them stunlocked.

I agree, the screen distortion and what not might come off as very annoying to a lot of people. All in all, it would be a very cool "new" 6th weapon. However, this doesn't change the fact that this game still doesn't have a "finisher" weapon. It simply needs one. This is the function that needs to filled in (still, I'd prefer the Gatling to have this role).

deathwinger
Beta Tester

Post by deathwinger » 07 Nov 2015, 02:39

I think the Ion cannon is good in practice (a good defense weapon), however the projectile blows up too slowly, perhaps it could be a second shorter, especially it being in a fast paced 6DoF game. I'd also agree for it to be a plasma replacement weapon, it should use less energy and a slightly faster firing rate.

Whiteshark
Beta Tester

Post by Whiteshark » 07 Nov 2015, 08:44

I do not agree on plasma replacement weapon. Lasers are great in this game, and they have two modes so they can replace the plasma well. Ion cannon needs a purpose, something that the other weapons don't achieve.
I think the weapon could work pretty well as a chaser's tool with the fast particle speed. You could also make it a proper d3 microwave cannon that is actually useful: give it a slow or perhaps anti-afterburner, and possibly make it inherit some of the ship's movement like the microwave cannon.
@InVader I've never seen the cannon do anything to the robots. Possibly it works on some older builds than 1.4 or something?

InVader
Beta Tester

Post by InVader » 07 Nov 2015, 11:56

Whiteshark wrote:I do not agree on plasma replacement weapon. Lasers are great in this game, and they have two modes so they can replace the plasma well. Ion cannon needs a purpose, something that the other weapons don't achieve.
I think the weapon could work pretty well as a chaser's tool with the fast particle speed. You could also make it a proper d3 microwave cannon that is actually useful: give it a slow or perhaps anti-afterburner, and possibly make it inherit some of the ship's movement like the microwave cannon.
@InVader I've never seen the cannon do anything to the robots. Possibly it works on some older builds than 1.4 or something?
I played vanilla D3. It deals moderate damage to enemies. For stunlocking however, you have to land hits with it consistently. Then they won't be able to fire at you anymore. Kinda like the Vulcan in D1/D2, except they are still able to move around. You could literally kiss the robots as long as you kept hitting them with the microwave. They couldn't even melee you.

InVader
Beta Tester

Post by InVader » 07 Nov 2015, 12:00

1/2Hawk wrote:I think if we go a prox bomb route, you should also be able to shoot at them to destroy them prematurely. Imagine 8+ players in Vertigo with prox bomb weaponry - you'd never be able to fly anywhere LOL.
Yeah, that's also a reason why we need more afterburner speed. I'd still give this game some other mines as well though. Something like the Spider mines in UT. It doesn't explode on it's own, but whenever something comes near it, it sends out little self destructing drones instead. Kinda like the Cerberus missile drones, but they don't come out when the mine is shot.

Other than that, it would still explode like a regular proximity mine when it gets shot.

It would be fun to set up these little bastards near some corners.

Then we could also have large bombs (can carry only one). You drop like a mine and it explodes after like 3 seconds. You have to get the hell away from it, or you'll be caught in the explosion.

Whiteshark
Beta Tester

Post by Whiteshark » 07 Nov 2015, 12:07

InVader wrote:
Whiteshark wrote:I do not agree on plasma replacement weapon. Lasers are great in this game, and they have two modes so they can replace the plasma well. Ion cannon needs a purpose, something that the other weapons don't achieve.
I played vanilla D3. It deals moderate damage to enemies. For stunlocking however, you have to land hits with it consistently. Then they won't be able to fire at you anymore. Kinda like the Vulcan in D1/D2, except they are still able to move around. You could literally kiss the robots as long as you kept hitting them with the microwave. They couldn't even melee you.
Wow! It has happened to me some few times, but it seemed to happen with any weapon.

InVader
Beta Tester

Post by InVader » 07 Nov 2015, 12:13

Whiteshark wrote:
InVader wrote:
Wow! It has happened to me some few times, but it seemed to happen with any weapon.
It does work with super-high fire rate weapons as well, though in the case of the Vauss, it just knocks them around so much that you don't even need the fire rate :D

Let's just agree that D3 was a terribly broken game with broken weapons x)

Whiteshark
Beta Tester

Post by Whiteshark » 07 Nov 2015, 12:28

No it was not broken. Some bugs apparent, but a lovely game anyways. What md? Never heard of it.