Afterburner speed / camera shake amount

Post your feedback on the feel and balancing of the game here.

Moderator: SolC Development Leads

Earthshaker
Beta Tester

Afterburner speed / camera shake amount

Post by Earthshaker » 06 Nov 2015, 13:00

The camera shake effect that happens while using afterburners - particularly at the very start of the afterburner boost - seems a little bit disproportionate to the actual speed boost that it gives. In others words I think the shake is a bit too strong at the moment. I feel it could be reduced by 20-25% or so. Or, alternatively, the speed of the afterburner could be boosted *hint hint*. ;)

Also a minor polish suggestion - there's no smoothing of camera shake when you deactivate AB, something you can see when you tap the AB key briefly. The shake goes from full-on to no shake instantly. It would be nice if this were smoothed out a little.

Shaleblade
Beta Tester

Re: Afterburner speed / camera shake amount

Post by Shaleblade » 06 Nov 2015, 16:44

I agree, the AB feels pretty wimpy right now, and the disproportionate shaking doesn't help. Totally agreed on the shake smoothing, too.

1/2Hawk
SolC Development Lead

Post by 1/2Hawk » 06 Nov 2015, 18:32

I also agree about the faster speed / longer time of use suggestions. Here's a quick thought though - given your enemies will also get this feature, is anybody worried that other players will be way harder to hit/kill if we do this? Just curious.
UDK & UE4 - Visual FX (Particle Systems, Custom Materials, Lighting), Modeling, Animation/Rigging, Mapping, Coding

Earthshaker
Beta Tester

Post by Earthshaker » 06 Nov 2015, 21:36

I don't think that would be something to worry about - if it looked like this might become a problem though you could always reduce the AB capacitor size or charge rate slightly to encourage people to use the AB more tactically.

MaxT
Beta Tester

Post by MaxT » 07 Nov 2015, 00:43

Agreed, a little too much shaking :)

Dusty267
Beta Tester

Post by Dusty267 » 07 Nov 2015, 00:51

I third, (fourth, fifth, you know), that the camera shakes too much.

InVader
Beta Tester

Post by InVader » 07 Nov 2015, 01:02

@Hawke

Well, that is quite literally a problem right now. Once you've encountered a fight, you have no chance but to commit. There's no way for you to run away, whatsoever. Absolutely no way. Turning your back on your enemy is the worst thing you can do. If you try to afterburn away, he will just afterburn right behind you.

Until we get mines, that is... Again, this game desperately needs mines.

Still, I'd say buffing the Afterburners would be still worth it. Would make for more clutch-play opportunities, make escape a little bit possible, and create more high risk/reward scenarios.

1/2Hawk
SolC Development Lead

Post by 1/2Hawk » 07 Nov 2015, 02:32

We talked about the issues we had with mines in the Twitch video (we tried making them about a year ago). Could be worth another attempt if enough folks want them, but the short story is we tried before and we failed making mines to work properly. (Host server could see them, but some clients would not meaning you'd explode into them and not ever actually see it happen).
UDK & UE4 - Visual FX (Particle Systems, Custom Materials, Lighting), Modeling, Animation/Rigging, Mapping, Coding

Dusty267
Beta Tester

Post by Dusty267 » 07 Nov 2015, 03:10

Well, you also have to think about quantity. If we have mines, we can't have 10 or 15 littering a room, that is no fun to die by running into stuff. A couple for each pilot is a good idea, with maybe a cooldown timer? (Like an ability?) The maps are small in some spots and you could clog a hallway with them and trap someone.

1/2Hawk
SolC Development Lead

Post by 1/2Hawk » 07 Nov 2015, 05:33

Is the equivalent in D:U that laser grid? I hear nothing but complaints about that thing.