Afterburner speed / camera shake amount

Post your feedback on the feel and balancing of the game here.

Moderator: SolC Development Leads

MaxT
Beta Tester

Re: Afterburner speed / camera shake amount

Post by MaxT » 03 Dec 2015, 23:46

I absolutely love how R3 feels compared to R2 as far as movement goes. I definitely like the faster AB speed and the slower AB drain.

Kaiyena
Beta Tester
Location: US, Florida, Here, Here, Inside my house, Inside skull.

Post by Kaiyena » 09 Dec 2015, 06:25

Not sure if this was mentioned. But I don't agree with your FOV being decreased. I don't mind how much your view shakes.. But It doesn't make sense, If you were in the ship it would seem that if you use the afterburner you'd get pushed back into your seat. What happens when you move backwards? You get a wider view of what's in front of you.
New maps for Proving Grounds, maybe?

MadMax1998
Site Admin

Post by MadMax1998 » 09 Dec 2015, 11:55

We tried multiple variants for the animation and found that the FOV widening one ("kicking you back") resulted in the speed bump not becoming apparent. Read: if you speed up and increase the FOV, it seems like you are actually slowing down. The opposite of that (decrease the FOV) makes it seem like you are kicked forward from the speed increase (not the seat slapping forward; that *would* be unrealistic). It's not perfect but you have to transport the feeling of actually speeding up in a quick fashion and we decided to go with that. Believe me, I asked the same question back when the animation was first shown, but it's the best feeling one.
Max
Sol Contingency Programming Lead
Sol Contingency Website

InVader
Beta Tester

Post by InVader » 16 Dec 2015, 23:29

Eh... I have the camera shake effects disabled, mostly because of the FoV zoom effects. Very disorienting on the dispersion and the afterburner.