[not in PG] Rounded ship collision

Post your feedback on the feel and balancing of the game here.

Moderator: SolC Development Leads

Shaleblade
Beta Tester

[not in PG] Rounded ship collision

Post by Shaleblade » 06 Nov 2015, 16:42

Please make the ship's collision detection more like a sphere than a box. As it stands, it can be easy to get caught on map geometry, but a spherical collision box means that, even if part of you hits the top of a doorframe, it'll push you down instead of totally stopping you.

1/2Hawk
SolC Development Lead

Re: Rounded ship collision

Post by 1/2Hawk » 06 Nov 2015, 17:17

Unfortunately this is impossible in UDK. The collision is cylindrical and world-aligned because most games involve running around on 2 feet - which is no good for us. There is no other available option as this is hard coded deep within the engine itself. In UE4 however, we can choose any shape we desire and will be using a spherical collision primitive for getting around.
UDK & UE4 - Visual FX (Particle Systems, Custom Materials, Lighting), Modeling, Animation/Rigging, Mapping, Coding

deathwinger
Beta Tester

Post by deathwinger » 07 Nov 2015, 02:47

This is one thing I noticed as well. Glad someone brought it up. So will Proving Grounds be on UDK solely and the Sol Contingency game be on UE4?

Just checking how the development will be proceeding.

1/2Hawk
SolC Development Lead

Post by 1/2Hawk » 07 Nov 2015, 05:42

When we can get PG in a state that will keep people happily playing for awhile - we're going to drop UDK faster than a hot load in Seb's toliet on ceviche night. Personally, I think we have done a pretty amazeballs job pushing UDK to its furthest technical limits as it is. But we are finding it difficult to go any further with it. The core engine is hard coded and hidden from us - meaning there are features we can extend (like turning a UT character into an Eclipse), but still many more things we cannot (such as using a spherical player collision). Having flying AI in 3D space for example would nearly be impossible. (Note: The UT Cicada and Mantis flying vehicles are actually cars with REALLY long / springy suspensions on them - you cannot fly them upside down for example).

The entirety of UE4 is open source. This means we can even build our own Sol C Editor if we so choose. It has DX11 support, it has out of the box 6DOF support, it has a huge growing community of developers we hope to tap into for more help, it has GPU particles, it has Blueprint instead of coding (for prototyping new ideas at least), it handles VR in an elegant way... Etc etc. Yes, if we can raise some cash to do things the right way - development will go full bore into UE4. Actually has been in the works since 4.6... Check the WIP sub-forum over there for a sneak peek. ;) https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthr ... gle-player [You might need an account to view this, not sure - but why not, we'll be all over this forum soon enough.]
UDK & UE4 - Visual FX (Particle Systems, Custom Materials, Lighting), Modeling, Animation/Rigging, Mapping, Coding

Shaleblade
Beta Tester

Post by Shaleblade » 07 Nov 2015, 06:28

Also, if the collision can't be reshaped, can it be shrunk? I don't know how tightly it fits the ship models, but I know I'd trade ships sometimes appearing to slightly clip into walls over getting parts of my ship that I can't see caught of map geometry.

jakobdo
Beta Tester

Post by jakobdo » 07 Nov 2015, 07:37

Shaleblade wrote:Please make the ship's collision detection more like a sphere than a box. As it stands, it can be easy to get caught on map geometry, but a spherical collision box means that, even if part of you hits the top of a doorframe, it'll push you down instead of totally stopping you.
Glad you bring this up. Have been thinking about creating a post with this. ;)
Really annoying to get caught on a doorframe or other obstacles in the game.

Earthshaker
Beta Tester

Post by Earthshaker » 09 Nov 2015, 16:22

I was going to make a post about the feel of ship collision a few days ago but now I'm glad I waited, because Hawk's post perfectly explains why I was noticing certain things... and getting stuck on objects like the pipes in Vertigo without sliding off them as expected! :lol:

It's a bit surprising to me that even an older engine like UDK doesn't allow adjustment of the collision shape, but never mind, it's just another reason why the UE4 version of SolC will be still more awesome than the UDK version we have now.

I'm still getting used to the quirks of collision but, considering the limitations you've got to work with, I think the current setup is good enough.