Various balance stuff

Post your feedback on the feel and balancing of the game here.

Moderator: SolC Development Leads

Whiteshark
Beta Tester

Various balance stuff

Post by Whiteshark » 06 Nov 2015, 18:29

My initial thoughts on this game are as follows:
The weapons use too much energy, especially ion cannon and MAC.
Weapons take too long to switch. This could be used to balance some stuff but I would prefer the dispersion cannon and lasers to switch on really fast.
Dumbfire rockets are a kind of a mess at the moment. I think they should either shoot really fast or have a really big explosion radius and smoke effects. Currently they are both which makes them a spam tool and not so much an armament to compliment your primaries. I would prefer them ever so slightly faster, but with a lesser rate of fire.
Ion cannon too is a mess, since it has two purposes, either hit the walls or the enemy directly. I believe the weapon is already under your consideration, and I'm not sure how it should work.
Mac has weird gunmounts and is really hard to use because of that.
Gatling spindown should be slower, so you can save bullets without having to spin up every time you stop shooting to reaim.
I also don't like how the cloack and invulnerabilities work at the moment. They gain you too big of an advantage and make you want to camp the area where they spawn. Instead, add some more spawns for both and spawn only one at a time, also telling when they are about to spawn! This way you will fight to gain one of the positions when you get the warning.

The game is feeling pretty fun regardless of the problems I had. I believe this game will totally rock in the near future! I'll keep my right to change my opinion on some of the stuff mentioned here. Feel free to argue against them, too!
Last edited by Whiteshark on 06 Nov 2015, 19:05, edited 2 times in total.

1/2Hawk
SolC Development Lead

Re: VArious balance stuff

Post by 1/2Hawk » 06 Nov 2015, 18:38

I like the gatling spin down idea. Funny story about the powerups. I think after a couple years of playing this game with each other, us devs have sorta developed our own unwritten code of conduct where picking up even 1 is considered slightly rude while testing - and picking up 2 ... I don't think that's even ever happened before this week playing with y'all. LOL I was just thinking that perhaps Invul should knock out your Cloak and vice versa so you can't ever have both - but open for suggestions. BTW - other people have been saying these should only last 10 seconds. Trying to stick most of them in out-of-the-way spots or at least somewhat dangerous dead ends... you'd burn most of your benefit before getting back in the action to use them if lasting just 10 seconds.
UDK & UE4 - Visual FX (Particle Systems, Custom Materials, Lighting), Modeling, Animation/Rigging, Mapping, Coding

Whiteshark
Beta Tester

Re: VArious balance stuff

Post by Whiteshark » 06 Nov 2015, 18:51

Okay right away I need to argue against myself.

MAC is not hard to use, it was just some lag or something. Mac is somewhat overpowered now, although the energy problem still persists. I'm not sure how to balance it, perhaps a slower rate of fire or longer chargetime for good damage.

Now I also find the afterburner to be a bit too all-around, like in d3. Any nerf to it can help.

The two biggest problems I would say are the dumbfires and Ion cannon.

Whiteshark
Beta Tester

Re: Various balance stuff

Post by Whiteshark » 06 Nov 2015, 19:45

Huh, at least remove the one shot kill from MAC! Something like 70 dmg should be the absolute maximum.

jaffers
Beta Tester

Post by jaffers » 06 Nov 2015, 20:01

The MAC does a lot of damage but it is hard to use, well at least with a keyboard and mouse. Considering your constant inertia and predicting where the enemy will go, a sniper weapon like the MAC is well balanced I think

Whiteshark
Beta Tester

Post by Whiteshark » 06 Nov 2015, 20:02

As for the powerups, I like them being a bigger part of the gameplay, and not just a short and slight advantage. The secret places won't stay secret for long, so it's better that they have some kind of additional gameplay into them, like the one proposed in my first submit. Make people work to get them!

Whiteshark
Beta Tester

Post by Whiteshark » 06 Nov 2015, 20:03

jaffers wrote:The MAC does a lot of damage but it is hard to use, well at least with a keyboard and mouse. Considering your constant inertia and predicting where the enemy will go, a sniper weapon like the MAC is well balanced I think
No, no it is not. I don't find it too hard and it is my first day playing. Play with it and against it for a week, and suddenly the skillcap will feel really small.

NUMBERZero
Beta Tester

Post by NUMBERZero » 06 Nov 2015, 22:22

I agree that the cloak and invuln could use some work. I don't think I can even remember a time when they were actually in a multiplayer game from any of the Descents. I guess they're good gimmick items, and obviously pretty useful, but you also don't want the best pilot in the match to literally become invulnerable. God forbid he learns the powerup respawn system and he's there grabbing it every time :P

1/2Hawk
SolC Development Lead

Post by 1/2Hawk » 06 Nov 2015, 22:30

FYI - these have long respawn timers on them... much longer than the weapons and ammo. They can only be used X number of times per round. Trying to think up good counters to these. The Cerberus drones can chase a cloaked player already but we dont have anything to counter the Invul as yet.
UDK & UE4 - Visual FX (Particle Systems, Custom Materials, Lighting), Modeling, Animation/Rigging, Mapping, Coding

Dusty267
Beta Tester

Post by Dusty267 » 07 Nov 2015, 01:33

1/2Hawk wrote: us devs have sorta developed our own unwritten code of conduct where picking up even 1 is considered slightly rude while testing - and picking up 2 ...
Kaiyema, I don't want to see that again from you ;) lol

I like the idea of both, but right now they last what seems forever. Fights are quick in the game, so even a 20 second advantage is big, (or however long they are now). Instead, maybe alter them for each level? I know in Icebreaker the cloak is a little flight down and up to get, so maybe add 2 seconds to it? On the contrary, in Vertigo, the cloak and invul are right in the middle of major fighting rooms, so you don't need them to last any longer than they do, and should maybe be shortened for that map I think.

Whiteshark wrote:
Instead, add some more spawns for both and spawn only one at a time, also telling when they are about to spawn! This way you will fight to gain one of the positions when you get the warning.

I actually like this idea if they are going to continue to be in the game. Adds a bit of the "should I go or not?" deal to the fights. If everyone chickens out except for one, congrats to them :)

In my opinion the MAC is actually pretty easy to dodge once you get the hang of flying. If people wait to have full charge, you can hear it and time your dodge, which I did a couple times.