Various balance stuff

Post your feedback on the feel and balancing of the game here.

Moderator: SolC Development Leads

Urungus
Beta Tester

Re: Various balance stuff

Post by Urungus » 09 Nov 2015, 00:50

My two cents. I like the idea of having multiple spawn points for the Invul and Cloak but, have only one spawn at a time perhaps?
1/2Hawk, perhaps to balance the Invul the players ship speed is decreased or their energy usage is increased or shields are at 0 when it wears off.

Also like the idea of "lasers only", or random weapons at the start with no pickups. You could make it unlimited ammo...
We're going to need a bigger boat.

1/2Hawk
SolC Development Lead

Post by 1/2Hawk » 09 Nov 2015, 05:26

Invul makes the afterburner non-functional maybe? Kinda like all power is focused on shields instead of the engines? That way you can escape a player who has it easier? Maybe have it get "shattered" by an Atlas? Need more ideas.

Coordinating events across multiple pickups / players isn't that easy btw - it's not like they are 'aware' that other pickups exist elsewhere. You'd need a helper object on the map, or some Kismet in every map, etc to handle that kind of thing. Easier to have them doing shit on their own ... like maybe when they respawn they only hang out for 60 sec and go away again for a random amount of time if nobody grabbed it so you can't flight plan them.
UDK & UE4 - Visual FX (Particle Systems, Custom Materials, Lighting), Modeling, Animation/Rigging, Mapping, Coding

STealTH
Beta Tester

Post by STealTH » 09 Nov 2015, 05:55

When they are turned on, especially for games with more people, that sounds like a big improvement^

Urungus
Beta Tester

Post by Urungus » 09 Nov 2015, 07:32

1/2Hawk wrote:Invul makes the afterburner non-functional maybe? Kinda like all power is focused on shields instead of the engines? That way you can escape a player who has it easier? Maybe have it get "shattered" by an Atlas? Need more ideas.

Yes, something along those lines.
1/2Hawk wrote:Coordinating events across multiple pickups / players isn't that easy btw - it's not like they are 'aware' that other pickups exist elsewhere. You'd need a helper object on the map, or some Kismet in every map, etc to handle that kind of thing. Easier to have them doing shit on their own ... like maybe when they respawn they only hang out for 60 sec and go away again for a random amount of time if nobody grabbed it so you can't flight plan them.
Gotcha, and yes that sounds like a GREAT idea!

Poxy
Beta Tester

Post by Poxy » 09 Nov 2015, 07:36

I fully expect the invul to be removed from the final game. I think it's a really bad mechanic, honestly. At least perfect invulnerability is.
Some sort of shield booster is completely fine, but I think anything that makes you impossible to kill is no good, even if something like Atlas missiles shatter it or afterburner is disabled.

Earthshaker
Beta Tester

Post by Earthshaker » 09 Nov 2015, 16:36

I totally second the idea of server options to configure the weapons / invulns / cloaks that spawn, or are allowed.

Perhaps an optional behaviour that changes invuln into a "health keg" style item and boosts your shields to 200 regardless of their current charge.

Urungus
Beta Tester

Post by Urungus » 09 Nov 2015, 17:52

Earthshaker wrote:I totally second the idea of server options to configure the weapons / invulns / cloaks that spawn, or are allowed.
Seconded.
Earthshaker wrote:Perhaps an optional behaviour that changes invuln into a "health keg" style item and boosts your shields to 200 regardless of their current charge.
This actually sounds like a solid idea. Invul hogs are the bane of my exsistance when they are already dominating the score.

STealTH
Beta Tester

Post by STealTH » 10 Nov 2015, 06:01

2 minutes, 56 seconds respawn time :)
If it takes 56 seconds from one to the next and it lasts for a minute? you have 50% invul time.

InVader
Beta Tester

Post by InVader » 10 Nov 2015, 14:48

STealTH wrote:2 minutes, 56 seconds respawn time :)
If it takes 56 seconds from one to the next and it lasts for a minute? you have 50% invul time.
ummm... have about 1 minute of invul time and almost 2 minutes without it. So that would be about 33%.

I am also for the max. shield boosting idea replacing invulnerability. We could give it a little bit more impact, by making the overcharged shield not drain over time for like 1 minute (or until you go below 100 Shields - keeping it over 100 with the Shield powerups would prevent them from draining).

MadMax1998
Site Admin

Post by MadMax1998 » 10 Nov 2015, 21:48

I've argued this point forever. Max thinks that you guys, dear players, would be horribly confused if everything wasn't exactly the same on every map we make.
Yeah, it's been a point of contention. My POV is that if a level designer could make the same pickup (shield, energy, or even invul) give a different amount of time, health or ammo, players would never know what to expect from these pickups -- am I getting 5 energy or 50? Guess I'll find out...

I think the server option is a good idea, and making these powerups cancel each other out is good too. Or, here's a more radical one: let's ditch the invul completely and make the cloak the only powerup (which at least can be countered somehow, unlike the invul).
Max
Sol Contingency Programming Lead
Sol Contingency Website