Projectiles should use parent velocity

Post your feedback on the feel and balancing of the game here.

Moderator: SolC Development Leads

NUMBERZero
Beta Tester

Projectiles should use parent velocity

Post by NUMBERZero » 06 Nov 2015, 22:07

I was hoping for especially the missiles to use parent velocity where they could fly faster or slower than base speed if they were launched from a moving ship. That is currently not apparent and it's kinda funny when I can outrun my own Cerberus missile, practically putting it back into its own launch tube. It'd make sense and sorta encourage players to play aggressively in order to get the most out of their missiles. As it is, slower missiles are useless in a chase against the fastest of players because they'll out run it and you may just end up hitting yourself because you got to the opposite end of the corridor just in time for your missiles to hit it too.

Also, you could probably give it parent velocity, but over time the missile will either speed up or slow down to its base velocity.

InVader
Beta Tester

Re: Projectiles should use parent velocity

Post by InVader » 07 Nov 2015, 17:39

NUMBERZero wrote:Also, you could probably give it parent velocity, but over time the missile will either speed up or slow down to its base velocity.
This would probably be the best option.

Ion
Beta Tester

Post by Ion » 08 Nov 2015, 03:45

I think this should only apply to guided weapons. Things like the Dumbfire and Atlas should have 75% to 100% inheritance. Drop-missiles like the Cerbrus, however, should have very little, but permanent, inheritance. Like 25% or so.
aka bossrobotdad, currently "Punished Blart" in-game

MadMax1998
Site Admin

Post by MadMax1998 » 10 Nov 2015, 21:11

The problem with this is that the weapon system we use does not allow for on the fly velocity changes. I've tried before and it didn't work. :-/
Max
Sol Contingency Programming Lead
Sol Contingency Website

NUMBERZero
Beta Tester

Post by NUMBERZero » 11 Nov 2015, 00:35

So, not even a chance for inheritance at all?