Lasers need more damage

Post your feedback on the feel and balancing of the game here.

Moderator: SolC Development Leads

Whiteshark
Beta Tester

Lasers need more damage

Post by Whiteshark » 07 Nov 2015, 16:13

They don't do much atm. Missiles are much much more powerful in comparison, and they are supposed to be "secondaries". Even gatling deals more dps, doesn't it? At least it is easier to hit with.

InVader
Beta Tester

Re: Lasers need more damage

Post by InVader » 07 Nov 2015, 17:36

Disagree, the lasers are a perfectly viable option right now in Quad Laser mode. It's an all around good weapon. Good for suppressing long corridors and good in close dogfights as well.

And I believe the missiles were absolutely intended to deal more damage. Just like in the Descent games. They are harder to with afterall.

Whiteshark
Beta Tester

Post by Whiteshark » 07 Nov 2015, 17:42

in originals the lasers deal like twice the damage they deal here.
Also the secondaries, especially atlas and concussions are far more effective than anything in d1.
Most importantly the lasers aren't strong enough in close to medium range fights vs gauss and big mac

InVader
Beta Tester

Post by InVader » 08 Nov 2015, 08:55

The atlas is basically the mercury from D2, which pretty much wrecked, just like this.

As for the lasers, they did have multiple levels of upgrades. In D2 up to 6. The Dispersion IS supposed to be a close range weapon, so I absolutely expect it to deal more damage at close range. If you take about 4-5 full hits with the laser you are dead. I think that's reasonable. Rather than giving them more damage, I'd give them knockback instead.

As for the Mac, it's a tradeoff. You have to hit that first charged shot with the mac, otherwise you're in big trouble.

Whiteshark
Beta Tester

Post by Whiteshark » 08 Nov 2015, 09:10

This thread is about lasers man. Dispersion is fine atm, it's a melee weapon.
Oh lasers need at least 6 full volleys + some extra. That is just too much considering you don't necessarily hit all of them.

5 full hits for 99 damage would work just fine.

Currently mac is incredibly versatile and doesn't have to be charged every time.

STealTH
Beta Tester

Post by STealTH » 09 Nov 2015, 07:58

Current lasers are tiny, they need to be bigger, more powerful and a bit slower, I think.

Whiteshark
Beta Tester

Post by Whiteshark » 09 Nov 2015, 13:07

They are really easy to hit atm. No need to be bigger, but maybe slower.

Ion
Beta Tester

Post by Ion » 10 Nov 2015, 01:57

Slower? Absolutely not. Descent's lasers were slow and took up half an energy on all but the two lowest difficulties, and that's why everyone used the Gauss.
aka bossrobotdad, currently "Punished Blart" in-game

SgtThorne
Beta Tester

Post by SgtThorne » 10 Nov 2015, 03:52

I agree about the lasers' damage, but I think the solution is just to add another level of lasers to contend better with the other cannons--say red lasers. IMO the standard lasers don't need to be more powerful--we need a base-level weapon in this game.
Running: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
Intel Core i7 4770K @ 4.20GHz Haswell - 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3
EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SSC 4GB - NVIDIA Drivers v10.18.13.5850
Asus Z87-PRO Motherboard - Onboard High Definition Audio

Poxy
Beta Tester

Post by Poxy » 10 Nov 2015, 05:32

I disagree with Thorne.

It seems traditional to give the player a weak weapon as a default.

But this only makes sense in single player games. In multiplayer, all weapons should be equal, and none should be objectively lesser than another.

Otherwise, why even include it? Why even bother with having lasers if they will always be inferior to another weapon? There'd be very little reason to use them, making that entire weapon slot a waste.