Overhaul suggestion

Post your feedback on the feel and balancing of the game here.

Moderator: SolC Development Leads

Whiteshark
Beta Tester

Overhaul suggestion

Post by Whiteshark » 18 Dec 2015, 11:53

Here's a new thread to give and discuss suggestions on how to make the game balanced better. I'll go through everything I think should be changed here.

Lasers
Burst: The gunpoints are something oldschool people are going to dislike a lot. If the weapon is not annoying to use otherwise, they might be fine with it, but that requires some changes. The current gunpoints require you to face upwards, or like I do, be tilted all the time. If you don't want to change them, make the burst shoot faster. This way flooding with the weapon is actually possible. About 20% increase in rate of fire would be fine.
Rapid: The reason behind the modes isn't clear. Make the rapid fire shoot a lot faster particles with the current rate of fire. This way the quads deal a bit more damage (after the rate of fire buff), while the rapids are better for accurate hits and chasing. The quick switch time makes it more reasonable to change to rapids than to change to, say gatling when finishing off someone. Remember faster particles don't automatically mean a better weapon in 6dof games, so this could be well balanced like this.

Ion cannon
Now that the rapid fire lasers replaced the r4 ion as a chaser / finisher tool, we want a nice to use descenty energy weapon, with proper gunpoints. The old ion cannon was really nice to use for me. I'm not sure about disorienting stuff, but for example a burn damage would be a nice add to the weapon. One example would be a burn damage, such that a single burst hit would deal more damage than laser burst, but continous hitting would deal less dps. This is achievable by making the burn longer than the rate of fire and not stackable.

Gatling
Add spinup, make the spread tighter and hitbox somewhere between r3 and r4.

Dispersion
No changes

MAC
It seems you added the damage in r4. Insane. The weapon is mostly useful by running behind a corner, loading and then killing on one shot. Reduce the max damage to 50, reduce the max charge to 3 seconds to reduce the all around charging for easy kills tactic (d3 fusions). Make the max damage be achievable with 2,5 sec charge. Decrease no-charge rate of fire and particle speed. Make full charge reload faster (2 seconds). This makes the charge be more about particle speed and range, makes the weapon not deal instakills. Hitting an atlas and charged mac + some random damage would still kill anyone out of 100 hp, which I think is the absolute maximum. Anything more than this is broken.

Atlas
Max damage to 60. Atlas is fairly challenging to use in dogfights, but easy in tunnels and close quarters. This mechanic forces you to lower the damage, or it will be broken.

Dumbfires
Nothing to add here at the moment

Seekers
The flare mechanic is funny. If you plan on keeping the mechanic, it has to be balanced through the flares and seekers can stay as they are. Otherwise they are too strong in tunnels with the turn rate.

Cerberus
Make robots come in straight lines, but in cyclones like d3. Then make the turn rates slower, and make them come in groups, so that you have 3 groups of drones to dodge. Gives you some job to do, but won't be as painful as it is at the moment.

Ship movement
Moving with afterburners is nice currently, but maneuvering is too dependant on them. 5-10% increase on all axis would help a lot, while it wouldn't make flying more unpredictable. A small change can do a big difference here.

InVader
Beta Tester

Re: Overhaul suggestion

Post by InVader » 18 Dec 2015, 21:08

To be honest the fact that the atlas is only useful in long range corridors is what makes it balanced. It's the enemy's fault for taking that fight rather than going around and flanking :T

But yeah, it does over 60 damage, which kills you even if you have a boosted shield, along with hull damage. Maybe lowering the damage to 50 or 45 would be nice, so that you have to hit the enemy at least a little bit with your primaries.

I wouldn't say no to the faster ship movement, but I'd like to remind you that trichording is possible in the game.

As for the ion cannon, right now due to the high velocity projectiles it is a potent long range assault weapon, but it will to lose to most other weapons in the game at close range - you'll find mostly close range encounters in this game. This makes it highly situational. I do agree that it needs some kind of buff though. A bit of damage or higher fire rate than rapid lasers.

Whiteshark
Beta Tester

Re: Overhaul suggestion

Post by Whiteshark » 18 Dec 2015, 23:44

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3730jFFDY4 here you can see some of my d3 gameplay so you can see I do trichord occasionally ;)

When I say I want the ship to move faster, I compare it to no other game than SolC. I take into consideration the hitboxes, particle speeds and turnrates. Also, I don't singlechord.