Bring back the old Ion blaster!

Pilots, this is where we want to hear from you! Tell us what you think of Proving Grounds!

Moderator: SolC Development Leads

Whiteshark
Beta Tester

Bring back the old Ion blaster!

Postby Whiteshark » 15 Apr 2016, 21:52

The old ion blaster from closed beta was fun. I know it had some controversy over it since it wasn't necessarily the most useful thing, but I'm pretty sure especially new people are going to love it. Currently our weaponary has pretty fast projectiles so the current ion cannon really lacks a purpose, especially in these closed maps. For pro players the ion-bomb cannon gives a lingering attack when you don't see the enemy, like fusion cannon in Descent series. It is also useful at closing doorways and such more effectively. I really hope to get it back.

The few changes I would do to the old model is to reduce the energy cost and reduce the timer before explosion. Please consider this for the Proving grounds!
Poxy
Beta Tester

Re: Bring back the old Ion blaster!

Postby Poxy » 15 Apr 2016, 22:20

I actually like the new Ion, but to be honest, you're right! At least partially. Giving it even a single second delay, and then a burst, would be delightful! Just the shortest little delay.
The nature of the dumbfire missiles makes you fire a lot of them all at once, so once you're out, you don't really have any other weapons with a blast zone.

Giving the ion a bit more "pow" would be nice, and the slight delay, which really should be very very short, would allow it to be both strategic, but also limiting, in that you can't just burst someone to death. They can see it and move out of the way.
Slade Xanthas

Postby Slade Xanthas » 16 Apr 2016, 03:03

For reference sake, what was the old ion blaster like? Didn't get into the closed beta, unfortunately.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Poxy
Beta Tester

Postby Poxy » 16 Apr 2016, 08:43

It was like throwing a grenade sorta. It'd stick to a surface, and then blow up 3 or so seconds later. It was also lobbed at a weird angle.

I like its current play, but I do wish there was a slight delay in it hitting a wall and then exploding. Just the tiniest little delay, to make it a bit more interesting. Like I really wanna stress that it shouldn't be a long delay. Just the tiniest little thing, and then a little burst.
Whiteshark
Beta Tester

Postby Whiteshark » 16 Apr 2016, 10:30

I would also like to say that the lasers have too fast projectiles. The ship movement is now an ideal, perhaps the most intuitive of all 6dof games out there. The problem is there is hardly a thing to dodge.
blindlight

Postby blindlight » 17 Apr 2016, 02:30

Whiteshark wrote:I would also like to say that the lasers have too fast projectiles. The ship movement is now an ideal, perhaps the most intuitive of all 6dof games out there. The problem is there is hardly a thing to dodge.

+1 agree 100%
Join 6Degrees on Steam, for 6DoF game enthusiasts
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/6degrees
DuderSeb
SolC Development Lead

Postby DuderSeb » 17 Apr 2016, 03:54

We appreciate and make note of the feedback :) we'd just like to give the game and players some time to get accustomed to one another.

... And on that note, if you guys would like to give us a big hand on something we always need help with: try and get the word out that SolC is finally released! Back in the day we caught the eye of the 6DoF world and if that could happen again it would equal so much fresh meat for the 6DoF gosus here! *Muahahaha*

Seriously speaking though, "a rising tide lifts all boats" and we are all here with a shared passion to usher in the next iteration of shooters: 6DoF! (and maybe VR too!). So tell everyone that they can try our game for absolutely free and then drop by to share their thoughts! We're always listening and looking to improve! Also any good help that might come our way wouldn't be bad :D

As always, all of you guys are free to record, stream, or create any kind of work with our game. Just don't forget to drop us a link so we can check it out! Nothing makes my day like watching y'all have a good time with SolC :D

Thanks everyone :)
Concept Art | Modeling | Texturing
Sol Contingency Steam Group

Return to “Proving Grounds Discussion & Player Feedback”