Another feedback thread

Pilots, this is where we want to hear from you! Tell us what you think of Proving Grounds!

Moderator: SolC Development Leads

Radi

Another feedback thread

Postby Radi » 22 Apr 2016, 18:22

Everyone has made feedback threads left and right already so I too am going to make my own. It is my first post after all.

MAC feels a little unwieldy. Here are some possible enhancements that would make it more usable in my opinion:

• Cancelling charging by switching the primary weapon. This would be a pretty intuitive mechanic.
  • Zoom-in feature to aid in aiming (a possible function for the laser firing mode key).
  • Charge indicator embedded in the crosshair. Although probably an obvious suggestion, would merge easily visually and wouldn't hurt.

Dispersion seems a little underpowered for me too. That issue aside, I would like the possibility to reload the weapon halfway through the magazine (again, laser firing mode key). This would be useful in many situations.

Shield overcharge is a minor annoyance for me since it encourages collecting shields instead of having a deathmatch.
I would cap the maximum shield lower, although I think that shield cap and drain are ideal variables to be configurable by the host. Any server specific configurations could be viewed when joining it anyway.

I am not an experienced 6-DoF player and don't have a feel for how the weapon mechanics might play out at higher skill level so it would be interesting to hear about the current design considerations behind the weapons.

One of the more significant gameplay issues for me is how the networking should be handled. Currently it is rather frustrating to try scoring a hit with Atlas while having 200 ms latency and very harmful for other weapons too.
Apparently UDK client-side prediction works fine for movement but nothing seems to be done about firing weapons. I guess this will be addressed when moving to UE4.
Slade Xanthas

Re: Another feedback thread

Postby Slade Xanthas » 22 Apr 2016, 18:42

The MAC seems weak as it is right now because a lot of the maps are based around close quarters and don't allow for ample time to charge the weapon up and use it to its fullest potential. Once more multiplayer maps with larger areas get added, I'd imagine it will prove its usefulness more without becoming heinously broken ala 3's Mass Driver. The suggestions you made are perfect for it though, and would really improve on it without making it overpowered.

Dispersion is definitely underpowered and this seems to be the general consensus among people I've played with. It's a great close quarters weapon concept, but it has less damage throughput than using lasers against someone close range, which shouldn't be the case. A reload button would also be VERY useful and might even mitigate the lack of damage issue if you can save yourself the reload delay before you get into another fight.

Most of the weapons in SolC are very good concepts and the designs really do stack well against each other; they just need a little bit of damage tweaking and different environments to offset their current weaknesses and strengths. The ION is a fantastic medium range laser weapon and is a great accompaniment to the Atlas, whereas the Dispersion would be the perfect close quarters type weapon, had it not been for the damage being slightly undercut. The lasers are a very good all-around weapon and I actually prefer using them over any other weapon as it is right now, especially in quads, which gets a lot of damage out in bursts as long as they make contact.

The networking is an issue, but unfortunately I'd imagine it will take some heavy re-writes to the client/server architecture for them to get around this, unless they opt to use the UE4 simultaneous server/peer-to-peer business.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Radi

Re: Another feedback thread

Postby Radi » 22 Apr 2016, 20:56

The MAC seems weak as it is right now because a lot of the maps are based around close quarters and don't allow for ample time to charge the weapon up and use it to its fullest potential.

MAC does seem a little weak damage-wise when I am using it. Then again, I am the one getting pulverised all the time so more practise for me I guess.

The networking is an issue, but unfortunately I'd imagine it will take some heavy re-writes to the client/server architecture for them to get around this, unless they opt to use the UE4 simultaneous server/peer-to-peer business.

Definitely it will take some programming if UE4 does not a have sufficient out of the box solution. Client-server model should work perfectly fine too given latency compensation is done correctly.
I wouldn't worry about it but it would be nice to have a developer comment on any plans regarding this.

Return to “Proving Grounds Discussion & Player Feedback”