This thing dead?

Discuss the game, make suggestions, post constructive criticism. Open to anyone!

Moderator: SolC Development Leads

Diamond Wolf

This thing dead?

Postby Diamond Wolf » 17 Jun 2017, 21:30

Haven't noticed any signs of life - either from devs or players.
spook

Re: This thing dead?

Postby spook » 28 Jun 2017, 06:28

Seems so :(

Hey devs, if you don't have plans/time to develop game further, maybe opensource it? Let someone else pick up your work and go further? This game has big potential - especially for single player.
MadMax1998
Site Admin

Postby MadMax1998 » 23 Oct 2017, 12:36

Hey guys, thanks for still playing PG. You're right, there are currently no plans for anything beyond what's released. I (the lead programmer) took a long break from game development after PG was out, although I want to get back into it soon. However, the rest of the core team (we were only four) have started working on games of their own or stopped making them. I'm in contact with DuderSeb and he's brought up the topic of patching PG with some more gameplay, but personally I feel like I'm done with the old Unreal 3 code and I'd really like to just go from a clean slate and make SolC version 2.0. But, we are all busy with our lives and game development is not an easy task, so time is very limited. The three others *did* go and make a new version of the game after PG came out, but it was only a prototype and I wasn't working with them. They stopped that completely AFAIK. I certainly don't want to burn out on it again like I did after PG.

As for open-sourcing it... I wouldn't mind that now since the code is so old, but I'm not sure who will profit from that. Skilled people would have to take it up and improve it and the game is so hacky with the multiplayer that I can't see it ever working right. (Hence the "clean slate" statement.)

Personally I don't even see the need for SolC anymore; Overload is SO good and feels so much like the game I wanted SolC to be that there's no reason for me to make it anymore. The old masters have shown they've still got it. I know OL doesn't have multiplayer yet but that will surely come in time. The single player, meanwhile, blew me away especially playing it in VR. I don't think I'd have anything to add to that with a game of my own (but that's my opinion; the rest of the team may think different).

I know you want SolC to be a thing in the future and I THANK everyone for the support! But ask yourselves if we need another 6DoF shooter seeing how we already got Sublevel Zero, Overload and Descent Underground. The only style these games don't continue is the Forsaken style... which *is* something I miss a bit these days too. Hmm...
Max
Sol Contingency Programming Lead
Sol Contingency Website
Yoshimitsu
Beta Tester

Postby Yoshimitsu » 28 Oct 2017, 20:30

MadMax1998 wrote:I'm in contact with DuderSeb and he's brought up the topic of patching PG with some more gameplay, but personally I feel like I'm done with the old Unreal 3 code and I'd really like to just go from a clean slate and make SolC version 2.0.

I certainly have nothing against a totally new version of SolC so long as the gameplay is the same, but even something like a few more maps and fixing the Dispersion and Ion cannons would do a lot make PG even better and possibly rekindle interest. That space station map we saw briefly in one of the beta builds looked really fun, as did Triaxiality.

Out of curiosity, what would be needed in order for people to add new maps? I know that UDK was used for creating them but I suspect that we can't simply load new maps into the game and play them. I'll bet that support for custom, user made maps would be welcome to fans like me ;)
Cobra6
SolC Team

Postby Cobra6 » 05 Nov 2017, 09:29

As long as people are playing, it's not dead :)

Cobra 6
Modelling & Texture artist
Art-Station
Website
LinkedIn
MadMax1998
Site Admin

Postby MadMax1998 » 06 Nov 2017, 11:44

Out of curiosity, what would be needed in order for people to add new maps? I know that UDK was used for creating them but I suspect that we can't simply load new maps into the game and play them. I'll bet that support for custom, user made maps would be welcome to fans like me

Well, the mapping process is pretty involved with UDK, mostly because you have to place collision meshes so that wall-sliding works without too much trouble. There is a converter script that can load D1/D2 maps into UDK as raw BSP data, so if you wanted to put classic maps in the game it would certainly be possible. Of course the graphics would leave a lot to be desired, but hey, pixel art and polygonal 3D are making a comeback these days so :D

I think we'd really have to open-source the game and get some brief documentation going for the mapping thing, otherwise y'all be stomping around in the dark.
Max
Sol Contingency Programming Lead
Sol Contingency Website
InVader
Beta Tester

Postby InVader » 07 Nov 2017, 15:02

Nice to see an update, I've been wondering what happened after all these years. I still have the latest version archived, just in case :D I was actually looking for this project to come out on top, because it didn't try to do any gimmicks, other than staying true to the original formula. No pixel-art, no procedural generation or any of this bs. + it started out as a Descent remake. I really wanted the single player/coop.

I was excited Overload at first, but then I heard they were going to make the engine similar to original D1/2 in the sense that they now make the maps out of cubes as primitives. Basically they want to sacrifice even map fidelity just to get some nostalgia into the game. Nope, the last time someone tried to lure me in with that kind of stuff was Pillars of Eternity, where they went full isometric 2D just to look similar to Baldur's Gate. The game itself wasn't particularly good in the end, so I'm not gonna fall for this again. To be fair, Overload's demo is much better and more enjoyable, so in he end it looks like this will be my descent as well.

I tried Descent Underground as well. Didn't look like they knew what they were doing at all. It's more like World of Tanks... with spaceshipts... underground.... with mining. Eh :|

Only other Descent-ish game I tried and liked was Strike Vector. It was the only one that actually evolved the genre in a massive and good way (unlike D3). Multiplayer focused and balanced around it with the hitscan weapons and faster projectiles. D3 already proved that slow projectiles + open space is not very fun if you want to play on Hotshot or higher difficulty :) Too bad the french devs have no idea what to do with it. They never fixed the bugs. Instead they re-released the same game, simplified the loadouts and fcked up the controls. It's like they're high on horse calmers or something :lol: It's kind of sad, really, because that game had potential to become something like a smaller Rocket League among indie games.

Oh well, good luck with everything, ya'll ;)

Return to “Sol Contingency General Discussion”